Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AEW

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default AEW

All Elite Wrestling

Have you guys heard about this new wrestling promotion? Financed by the Khan family (of Jacksonville Jaguars). Run by Cody Rhodes and a tag team (I've admittedly never watched) called the Young Bucks. Recruited Jericho to come over as well as what I guess is supposed to be the hottest free agent since AJ Styles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk.../#1381b8ce6eed

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: AEW

I haven't watched it, but it certainly has been making news in the entertainment industry. Cody Rhodes is no slouch and I hear that the Young Bucks are amazing. Also, with Kenny Omega finishing up with New Japan Pro Wrestling, the word on the street is that he is probably going to sign with All Elite Wrestling, with a small outside chance at him signing in the WWE.

All Elite is something that I would like to check out; it is drawing attention for sure.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I haven't watched it, but it certainly has been making news in the entertainment industry. Cody Rhodes is no slouch and I hear that the Young Bucks are amazing. Also, with Kenny Omega finishing up with New Japan Pro Wrestling, the word on the street is that he is probably going to sign with All Elite Wrestling, with a small outside chance at him signing in the WWE.

All Elite is something that I would like to check out; it is drawing attention for sure.

Rylant
    Oh I don't think they are on TV yet. It was just announced. Still kind of exciting.,

Dobber Sports Stud

They announced their first show will be in May. They're working on getting a TV deal now, and it sounds like there are several options.
    The Youngbucks are awesome. They're like a new version of the Hardy boys.

Basically, what Cody and the Bucks are doing is making a new company with all the top indy talent and some of the really goodforeign guys from Japan. Kenny Omega is the absolute best wrestler in the world, and it's assumed that he will be signing with AEW at the end of January (when his New Japan deal runs out) seeing as though the Youngbucks are his best friends. WWE are throwing all the money in the world at him, but his (and AEW's) motto is "Change the World", which he won't be able to do from within WWE. He'll just be another guy that's a part of the machine.

There's a lot to get excited about with AEW. The Khans have way more money than Vince McMahon has, so they can outbid WWE for anybody. Cody and the Bucks have a very good eye for the business, so the storylines will be very well done. Jericho gives them credibility, and PAC (formerly Neville) is out to prove that WWE didn't use him properly. Expect him to steal the show whenever he goes out there. And assuming Omega signs there, then they have the best in the world.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Ted Turner had more money too....

Dobber Sports Immortal

Almost a year later and this company has had a few PPVs and has forced WWE to make their NXT show go live on Wednesdays to match it.

Pretty good year for them.

I saw some stuff from their PPV this past weekend and I know he's 50....but Jericho looks awful. What the heck happened.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He turned 50? Think of what Chris chelios was at the end of his career.

The Great One

LOL. Big difference - hockey is real.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Almost a year later and this company has had a few PPVs and has forced WWE to make their NXT show go live on Wednesdays to match it.

Pretty good year for them.

I saw some stuff from their PPV this past weekend and I know he's 50....but Jericho looks awful. What the heck happened.
    I have been watching AEW since it started to be aired on Wednesdays and I watched the PPV last weekend. The pay per view was overall, really good. AEW has some things really going for them. The Young Guns and most of the other tag teams are amazing. Jericho, Moxley (Dean Ambrose), Kenny Omega, Pentagon Jr, Pac (Some fans know him as Neville), Cody Rhodes, Adam Page, Tye Dillinger are all great. The women that they have on their cards are still pretty horrible. So there were a few matches which were awesome and a couple of duds. AEW has a few things really going for them which the WWE tries to avoid. AEW still allows some finishing moves which are not allowed in the WWE. AEW still allows piledrivers and brain busters. AEW is not afraid of the wrestlers bleeding. AEW allows head shots more than the WWE does. This makes it more exciting, but puts the safety of the talent in question. AEW has Jim Ross announcing for them. AEW is taking risks that the WWE doesn't need to take, which I think is fresh. While Jericho's age has caught up to him a bit as others have pointed out, he is still a pretty amazing in ring talent and one of the best on the mic. I will continue to watch.

NXT is still the best wrestling in the world right now, as far as I am concerned, but AEW is making noise. WWE main brand is complacent, which I hate...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    LOL. Big difference - hockey is real.
    Yes, all the haters who are quick to point out that wrestling is fake; on a board which is specifically to discuss MMA and Wrestling no less. We get it...

While wrestling is self-admittedly scripted and choreographed, I would argue that the talent has an equally, if not more, grueling schedule than the "real" NHL. Wrestlers train and are as much athletes as many NHLers are. As they get older, like in any other physical sport, age catches up to them. It's the case with Jericho and was the case with Chelios.

Rylant

The Great One

I don't hate wrestling. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous. If it's your cup of tea, have at'er!!!

The Magnificent One

The wrestling audience wins when there's more than one fish in the sea, for sure.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Wrestling is scripted no doubt. I’d love an explanation on how you can “fake” a backflip off a top rope. Downplaying the athleticism required to be a professional wrestler because the outcomes are pre-determined is quite a stance to take.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Wrestling is scripted no doubt. I’d love an explanation on how you can “fake” a backflip off a top rope. Downplaying the athleticism required to be a professional wrestler because the outcomes are pre-determined is quite a stance to take.
    Agree 1000%.

Dobber Sports Star

I am actually really enjoying weekly NXT and AEW lately. They are both fresh and well written. I am still "Enduring" Raw and Smackdown on a weekly basis, but it feels like more of a chore each week. The recent Saudi show was one of the worst in recent memory. I imagine it won't be long before I stop watching the "Main Shows" altogether.

Rylant