Thread: fantasy hockey retirement: thank you Dobber Hockey

Dobber Sports Star

Default fantasy hockey retirement: thank you Dobber Hockey

after 12 years in my keeper - 8 money finishes and reigning 3 peat champion I am retiring from fantasy hockey.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of the Dobber community, who have provided so much sage advice over the years and really contributed to my success in my league. For me, fantasy hockey ended up taking up too much time and tilted the balance towards the negative in terms of work-life balance. I wonder how many out there struggle with the same issue?

Thanks again to all who have contributed and a big thanks to the big man himself - hope you are well and a personal thank you for making this an incredibly enjoyable period in my life

Loco out
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: fantasy hockey retirement: thank you Dobber Hockey

Looking at my post count, clearly I struggle as well.

Good luck in your new adventures.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Best wishes. Although I question why you would.

Dobber Sports Sage

I struggle with this as well and made a similar post asking if people ever felt like they should quit last year, so I get it. I often feel like I put too much time into this. Best of luck with it!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ace

i feel like i spend too much energy on fantasy hockey and football
    but it just makes winning that much sweeter
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

I'd rather do fantasy sport related stuff than hang out with distant relatives who annoy the fack out of me at this time of year

so , hows everything with the wife and kids ? ugggggggggh , wheres the door honey , I need to see who's starting , Halak or Rask !

good luck with whatever your plans are with the extra time loco . Your not the first dobber member to go from ''all in'' to quitting cold turkey to spend more time with kids

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    after 12 years in my keeper - 8 money finishes and reigning 3 peat champion I am retiring from fantasy hockey.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of the Dobber community, who have provided so much sage advice over the years and really contributed to my success in my league. For me, fantasy hockey ended up taking up too much time and tilted the balance towards the negative in terms of work-life balance. I wonder how many out there struggle with the same issue?

Thanks again to all who have contributed and a big thanks to the big man himself - hope you are well and a personal thank you for making this an incredibly enjoyable period in my life

Loco out
    Look, we’re all addicts in this arena. If it starts to negatively affect you, it’s time to get out. I was at a crossroads a few years ago. It was never about the money for me. It is the rush of the competition. Anyway, I resigned myself to focus on players I enjoy watching and to simply let fantasy enhance my watching of real hockey. I’ve lost friends over their behavior...in their quest to win at all costs they didn’t look at what they became, not looking at the toll it took on them and their friendships, Sorry you can’t find this balance yet. But, we’ll leave a light on for ya.

Dobber Sports Pro

Good luck to you. Too much of anything is not good. Why not just cut down the number of leagues you play in? Last year participated in 3 baseball leagues, and for me it was a lot of time. One league only cuts down the time spent considerably.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Best wishes to you loco man.
    Still remember you being a rock-member of the forums when I joined back in 2010.

I can't imagine not having fantasy hockey as my own personal internet procrastination activity - seems everybody has one these days.
    (Better than wasting time debating politics on facebook, IMO)

Wish you the best & hope you'll be back to join us!

(and sending you some REP - because you at LEAST deserve a bronze star before you go!!!)

(the elders of the forums didn't have any "weight" to their REP hand-outs way back in the early years... but that doesn't mean it was any less valuable to us NOOBS!!!)

Dobber Sports Superstar

All the best Loco - thinking you might have needed a more challenging league or maybe you in too many leagues, need to find the balance. Best league I have is one with buddies that has been going on for years. More for bragging rights and smack talk than the money, though the money doesn't hurt . Best part of the league is getting together for some beers and a little trade talk once or twice a year and also having a live auction draft. Other league is completletely different, online, more categories, different Dobber members from across world. Very challenging, love the competition as you can see the like passion from the other teams in the league.
    2 leagues is lots for me, one is weekly transactions and the other is limited weekly moves , so you can get away for a few days.
    Hope you are able to find something that gives you the balance in your life that you need. Can't be work all the time, you need to spend time with family, friends, then something for yourself. Its a fine line line.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good luck and enjoy all that reappropriated time!