View Poll Results: Who'll achieve their "new normal" this season and beyond?

Voters
61. This poll is closed
  • Victor Arvidsson (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

11 18.03%
  • Cam Atkinson (New Normal = 80+ points/pace

17 27.87%
  • Patrice Bergeron (New Normal = 85+ points/pace)

15 24.59%
  • Logan Couture (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

17 27.87%
  • Evgeni Dadonov (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

12 19.67%
  • Ryan Dzingel (New Normal = 60+ points/pace)

7 11.48%
  • Tomas Hertl (New Normal = 70+ points/pace)

15 24.59%
  • Mike Hoffman (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

8 13.11%
  • Jonathan Huberdeau (New Normal = 85+ points/pace)

26 42.62%
  • Gabriel Landeskog (New Normal = 85+ points/pace)

14 22.95%
  • Ryan McDonagh (New Normal = 50+ points/pace)

1 1.64%
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (New Normal = 75+ points/pace)

13 21.31%
  • Ryan O'Reilly (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

6 9.84%
  • Kyle Palmieri (New Normal = 70+ points/pace)

13 21.31%
  • Alexander Radulov (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

8 13.11%
  • Jeff Skinner (New Normal = 80+ points/pace)

24 39.34%
  • Mika Zibanejad (New Normal = 70+ points/pace)

26 42.62%
  • None of the above

1 1.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "new normal" for age 25+ players

The Great One

Default CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "new normal" for age 25+ players

After one of the closest votes last week (https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-young-players) when it came to the players under age 25, we shift our focus to those age 25+ to determine which ones can at least maintain their current scoring pace for 2018-19 and the next few seasons. In other words, the task is the same - it's just for older players this week instead of younger ones like last week, meaning that by your votes, you'll decide whether what we’re seeing from these age 25+ players is indeed their "new normal," in which case they should get your vote, or instead merely a blip in their production radar, in which case you should not vote for them.

The same rules and exclusions apply as last week, so go read the poll from last week for a refresher. One key worth stressing is you're voting on whether they can maintain their current scoring pace, and I use the word pace on purpose, since we're talking about the projected full season scoring pace for these players, not whether they actually get that many points, since some will miss games due to injury, etc. Thus, if you think a player might end up with 50 points in 55 games and his designated scoring pace is 75 points, he should still get your vote, since 50 points in 55 games is almost exactly a 75 point full season scoring pace.

As for voting, in the poll, you'll once again see a player and a "new normal" scoring pace after his name. If you think a player will maintain at least that scoring pace for the rest of 2018-19 and the next few seasons (i.e., this will be his "new normal") then you should vote for him. They key in the previous sentence is your vote should be decided based not just on whether he can achieve this scoring rate for 2018-19, but for future seasons as well.

You can vote for multiple players, so whomever you think will indeed maintain or improve upon his listed scoring pace, he/they should get your vote. I’ve also included a “none of the above” choice in case you think that none of the 17 choices is currently producing at his “new normal.”

Be sure to also post a comment here in the thread about who you voted for (or didn't vote for) and why, since the goal is for these tournaments to be as useful for fantasy insight as they are fun to participate in. Next week will be the final tournament, where we'll shift focus to players falling short of expectations. Enjoy!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "new normal" for age 25+ players

This is a hard one because most of these guys are playing well due to their linemates. Skinner is someone I can see playing at this pace for a while but he's also a UFA at seasons end. If he stays with Buffalo, he's going to be a gooder for a while. I can honestly say I didnt see that coming.

Right now I am only voting for Couture and Landeskog from this list knowing what I know.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Hertl, Nuge, and Zibs were my three votes.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I went with

Couture & Hertl - playing on a line together, along with Meier I think they are slowly taking over the reigns as the top line in SJ. Both are fixtures on PP1 as well.
    Landy - locked on that top line, he's almost guaranteed to hit 85 a year.
    Zibanejad - I've been high on him for a couple years, and if it weren't for injuries the past few seasons I think he would have hit that point/pace already. He's playing an extra 2 minutes a night this season which certainly helps. This is his new norm, and I'd even be confident to say he's got another gear (80+).
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Ninja

New normal? None. I almost voted for Huberdeau, but "normal" meaning he's expected to hit that number every year? No way (San) Jose.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

I had a hard time selecting anyone from the list. I almost selected "None of the above" because for almost all of them, I don't see the current pace being sustainable, especially in future seasons.

In the end, I voted for Dzingel and Hertl, only because of all the players listed, I think those two are most likely to sustain their current pace long-term (beyond this year). 60 for Dzingel isn't a crazy high total to achieve with top 6 minutes and players like Stone and Chabot around him. I'm less confident with Hertl at 70 pts but it is plausible with how good Meier has become and the other supporting cast around him.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sage

Couture and zibanejad for me
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hertl (think 70 points might not be out of reach)
    Huberdeau (capable of being a point-per-game player IMO)
    Landeskog (because of the linemates)
    Skinner (now we know he wasn't utilized properly in Carolina)
    Zibanejad (can be the guy in New York)
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding