Thread: Darling

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Darling

Have to think Darling has a shot to reclaim the crease or may be trade fodder. Chayka said Arizona will look for internal options. That’s the old “uh, we don’t want to look desperate so....” Darling is only 29. Mc or Mrazek as a short term option for AZ makes some sense. Don’t see Darling on the move unless he goes to a team blowing it up (LAK) or a team that has lost faith in an inconsistent starter (StL) or a bandaid boy (AZ).

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Darling

I don't know.
    Problem for Darling is that he was a "Francis investment".
    Former Canes GM Ron Francis made the big signing of Darling.
    [Now, Francis is simply the "President of Hockey Operations". Which, like in Philadelphia with Holmgren - simply means the owners can let Francis know if they want the NEW GM, Don Waddell, to be fired. Stupid position. I get it, though - from an ownership perspective. Nobody will respect firing the new GM like the old GM will!]

Don Waddell is the current GM for Carolina... and this team is netting +10sog per game.
    Which means they are the best Corsi team in the NHL.
    The only reason they are NOT the top team in the NHL, if they are getting shots, and getting avg SH%... is that their goaltending stinks.

So, no, I don't think Waddell even wants to let the former-GMs decision play out.
    If he can find ANY team to take Darling... I think he will.

Now - as for how the coach manages that... we'll see.
    But, I think Waddell-signing Petr Mrazek stands the best shot to be the future G1 of Carolina.

Ultimately, though.
    I kind of expect Waddell to be permitted to throw $10m at Bobrovsky in the offseason.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I don't know.
    Problem for Darling is that he was a "Francis investment".
    Former Canes GM Ron Francis made the big signing of Darling.
    [Now, Francis is simply the "President of Hockey Operations". Which, like in Philadelphia with Holmgren - simply means the owners can let Francis know if they want the NEW GM, Don Waddell, to be fired. Stupid position. I get it, though - from an ownership perspective. Nobody will respect firing the new GM like the old GM will!]

Don Waddell is the current GM for Carolina... and this team is netting +10sog per game.
    Which means they are the best Corsi team in the NHL.
    The only reason they are NOT the top team in the NHL, if they are getting shots, and getting avg SH%... is that their goaltending stinks.

So, no, I don't think Waddell even wants to let the former-GMs decision play out.
    If he can find ANY team to take Darling... I think he will.

Now - as for how the coach manages that... we'll see.
    But, I think Waddell-signing Petr Mrazek stands the best shot to be the future G1 of Carolina.

Ultimately, though.
    I kind of expect Waddell to be permitted to throw $10m at Bobrovsky in the offseason.
    Great analysis as always but I think his contract could get him another crack at the net..if only as a showcase

The Great One

Carolina has a back-to-back starting tomorrow, as well as 3 games in 4 nights. You gotta think he gets one start out of it. And for whatever it's worth, his numbers in his AHL stint were decent.

Administrator

Darling will probably find his way back to the NHL but I don't see much upside either way.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Carolina knows they cannot win with Darling as their primary goalie, and whether or not he can even be a solid backup is very questionable.
    There were articles this last summer about how Darling just ate like shit all last year after his big move and finally got himself back on track. He also had a known history of alcoholism which was captured in his players tribune article when he was traded out of Chicago. I would think any GM would be very aware of all of this. Darling's year so far has done nothing to show he has gotten his game back together.

In my opinion there is no way they are trading Mrazec or McElhinney unless they get a goalie in return. Either way it wouldn't help Darling.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Carolina knows they cannot win with Darling as their primary goalie, and whether or not he can even be a solid backup is very questionable.
    There were articles this last summer about how Darling just ate like shit all last year after his big move and finally got himself back on track. He also had a known history of alcoholism which was captured in his players tribune article when he was traded out of Chicago. I would think any GM would be very aware of all of this. Darling's year so far has done nothing to show he has gotten his game back together.

In my opinion there is no way they are trading Mrazec or McElhinney unless they get a goalie in return. Either way it wouldn't help Darling.
    some interesting background there. thank you.

Dobber Sports Initiate

And thrown to the wolves tonight against Wash. luckily my league counts goals agains instead of sv pct and gaa.