• Traded

17 21.25%
  • Sitting out for a full year

31 38.75%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nylander

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Nylander

Cap hit this yr 12.8% of cap (10.2/79.5)
    Cap hit yr 2-6 8.8% of cap and it'll lower (6.97/79.5)

The Great One

Next.....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    This thread has become a complete waste of space.
    Not quite, as it's useful to help populate ignore lists for the future.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Not quite, as it's useful to help populate ignore lists for the future.
    I stand corrected.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lol. There are precisely 3 markets in the entire NHL where if you’re not a fanboi, you’re a hater.
    Oiler hater LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    This thread has become a complete waste of space.
    Not totally. It did reconfirm the arrogance of some members.

The Great One

My last two rep comments:
    1. Ignore this idiot. He’s being a dick.
    2. this guy is a jerk.

LOL.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

@eyemissgipmour and the rest who post what Nylander asked for and what the Leafs offered as if it were fact... did either party come out and formally document those figures? How do we know for sure what each side was pitching? Last I heard, both sides were playing close to vest and all was merely speculation at best.

Maybe there was a publication on the figures and I missed it, but if not, the one sided areguements on both sides become even more comical.

Maybe Leafs we’re offering $6 million and fame up to $6.9. Maybe Nylander was asking for $8 million. Maybe they met in the middle. Maybe a loophole was exploited. But I don’t recall hearing or seeing Dubas or anyone from the Nylander camp definitively offer any concrete numbers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Even though I have officially retired from these forums, I do have a few posts left in this old body.
    And I am surprised nobody has referenced capfriendly in this particular thread, not that I saw anyway. Apologies if someone did mention it, and I missed it.
    Anyway, they are a solid source for explaining confusing contracts, perhaps the ultimate source in these matters.

They seem to confirm what I think about this contract and what other Leafs fans believe too...

CapFriendly
    @CapFriendly
    When you add up the breakdown it comes to $45M, however the $10M base in year 1 is prorated. Meaning he loses roughly $3.172M for the 59 days lost, bring his net amount to the 41's

In other words, they're not paying him the full 45 mil over the course of his contract . I don't know where the fake news started that they were.
    They're paying him 45mil less 3.172 for the period he sat out.

The Leafs wanted Nylander to sign for Pastrnak money and that's exactly what they got. Nylander's agent asked for Draisatl money and they got nowhere near that.
    I guess you could still frame it as a win-win anyway. He's playing after all. And the Leafs are a better team with him on it.

But, in my personal opinion, this contract could easily have been signed Oct 1. After all, it's only 460k per season higher than the Leafs original offer of 6.5 per.
    But Nylander's agent advised him to sit out and demand more. How'd that work out?
    What did he truly gain from sitting out? He lost two months of playing time waiting for a contract he could have had, in my opinion, two months ago.

Unless you want to argue that he got paid for two months without needing to earn it on the ice, sure, I guess that's a fair assessment.
    But I think he'd rather have been playing, even though he got paid for doing nothing.
    He's a hockey player, after all.
    Using the numbers you provided there - he's being paid $41.828M to play 5.6828 seasons which equals to $7.36M per season.

Maybe he would have been willing to play 31.72% of the season for $0 but we just don't know. He's not playing six seasons under this contract, he's playing 5.6828 seasons. He's not getting paid for the 31.72% of the season when he was on holiday and didn't play.

But sure, you could argue that he would have been willing to play over 30% of the season without any money. Just for the love of the game. There's no way any of us can prove that one way or another. I don't buy it, though. I haven't seen many star players in the NHL playing for free. Actually, I haven't seen any of them. But I can't prove he wouldn't have been the first to do so.

Dobber Sports Superstar

This thread has become so utterly ridiculous. 5.6828 seasons? Are you serious? Who cares!

The only numbers that matter are a $10.2 cap hit for this season and a $6.96 cap hit for the next 5 seasons. Period. End of story. Stop trying to spin it one way or the other.

You can even go into a little more detail for trade purposes that he will only be owed $6 million actual dollars per year beyond July 1st of next year, for some teams who like higher cap hits but lower dollars.

But that is it. Nothing else matters for the NHL or fantasy hockey purposes. Let's close this out already.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    This thread has become so utterly ridiculous. 5.6828 seasons? Are you serious? Who cares!

The only numbers that matter are a $10.2 cap hit for this season and a $6.96 cap hit for the next 5 seasons. Period. End of story. Stop trying to spin it one way or the other.

You can even go into a little more detail for trade purposes that he will only be owed $6 million actual dollars per year beyond July 1st of next year, for some teams who like higher cap hits but lower dollars.

But that is it. Nothing else matters for the NHL or fantasy hockey purposes. Let's close this out already.
    Lol. Agreed. Just get your 70 points for your pool owners. No one cares what you make.

Big Daddy

**slow clap**

The Great One

This thread has become so utterly ridiculous...
    Yes, I believe I pointed that out about two pages ago.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Other teams, when negotiating future deals, will use 41.828 over 6 seasons. Not 5.6828. Sure, the agents may want to try using your math, and the teams will correctly respond with something like "Hey, just because the Leafs chose to pay Willie while he sat on his ass, don't expect us to."
    The cap hit is 6.97 going forward. I think Willie could have had that exact cap hit with a contract signed October 1. That's all I'm saying.
    That's how it plays it. Player agents are claiming $7.5M (or something like that), teams will argue it's $6.96M. Both sides can make an argument they're right. I know some ignorant people don't realize it but Nylander's contract is an important one for future RFAs. That's why there's so much talk about it. All player agents and NHL teams alike were keeping a close eye on his contract situation, and now they're trying to figure out how it affects future contracts.

Nylander definitely could have had $6.96M for 6 years in the summer but he wasn't willing to sign that deal. Now he gets the same money after being on holiday for a few months. Sounds like a sweet deal for him. I know I would love to get a full year's salary while working just 68% of it.

(I'm trying to use simpler numbers now so that people don't get too confused with difficult numbers like 5.6828 seasons. I understand math is difficult for some.)

Dobber Sports Initiate

My oh my, I have a busy week, don't check up on the forums, and everyone gets so pissy and passive aggressive with each other

giphy.gif
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso