17 21.25%
  • Sitting out for a full year

31 38.75%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nylander

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Nylander

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    How did I say it was Dubas’ plan all along to wait until December 1? It takes two parties to negotiate and to come to an end result. Dubas couldn’t force Nylander to sign a contract. You agree that the end result was a win-win, so it was a win-win. People say Leafs homers have their judgment clouded on these forums, same can be said for Leafs haters.
    It's funny how everyone who doesn't love the Leafs is a Leafs hater. I have no feelings towards the Leafs. I don't have favorite teams and I don't hate any teams.

It seems you refuse to understand how these in-season contracts work, so I'll give you a few days to read up on that subject and maybe then you'll understand the difference. The end-result can be a win-win without the negotiation being a win-win. If the Leafs offered Nylander this same deal, $7.5M AAV, in the summer, people wouldn't be saying it's a win for the Leafs. It's funny how hard these things are to figure out for some.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    It's funny how everyone who doesn't love the Leafs is a Leafs hater. I have no feelings towards the Leafs. I don't have favorite teams and I don't hate any teams.

It seems you refuse to understand how these in-season contracts work, so I'll give you a few days to read up on that subject and maybe then you'll understand the difference. The end-result can be a win-win without the negotiation being a win-win. If the Leafs offered Nylander this same deal, $7.5M AAV, in the summer, people wouldn't be saying it's a win for the Leafs. It's funny how hard these things are to figure out for some.
    It’s funny how arrogant some people can be on a message board. Who are you to say what I do and do not understand. Get off your high horse pal. I’m very impressed with how well you comprehend in season negotiations.

The bottom line is Dubas signed Nylander for under $7M which I beleive was his goal. Doesn’t matter how it was done with loopholes or what have you. And Nylander missing 27 games this season has zero effect on the remaining 5 and a half years on the contract.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Saying Nylander signed for under $7 is like saying Lucic can be bought out lol.

The Great One

Nylander signed at 8.3 percent of the cap; Pastrnak at 8.9 percent. Saying this isn't a factor in negotiations is just ignorant.

The deal is a win-win. Nylander got more than he would have got in September. And the Leafs got him on a deal that works short-term and long-term. How is that NOT a win-win?

Dobber Sports Wizard

If someone believes it was Dubas who managed to get Nylander for less than $7M, then the only explanation is that person believes Dubas planned this December 1st signing from the get-go. Nylander sitting out the start of the season is the only reason the AAV for out-years is below $7M. It had nothing to do with Dubas unless he planned the sit-out. If some Leafs fans want to claim Dubas was smart enough to plan this whole situation, then by all means they can believe that. But claiming Dubas got him signed for less than $7M is just not accurate.

So essentially, there are two ways to look at this:
    1) Nylander won the negotiation, getting exactly what he wanted, but the end-result was a win-win for both sides because of CBA rules
    2) Dubas was a genius who planned to hold off signing Nylander until the last minute to keep his AAV in years 2-6 below $7M

Everything else is just not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Nylander signed at 8.3 percent of the cap; Pastrnak at 8.9 percent. Saying this isn't a factor in negotiations is just ignorant.

The deal is a win-win. Nylander got more than he would have got in September. And the Leafs got him on a deal that works short-term and long-term. How is that NOT a win-win?
    .........Nylander signed at 9.43% of the cap. I don't know why this is so hard for Leaf fans to understand. It's really really simple, for everyone not in Toronto, apparently. Must be something in Lake Ontario.

If you want to pretend that Nylander actually signed a 6x6.9 instead of a 6x7.5, you also have to pretend Nylander signed for 12.8% of the cap.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If you want to pretend that Nylander actually signed a 6x6.9 instead of a 6x7.5, you also have to pretend Nylander signed for 12.8% of the cap.
    I don’t have to pretend anything. His cap hit is 6.9 annually. I could careless about what the leafs are actually spending. Ain’t my money. I only care about the cap hit and space left to sign the rest. Why Leaf or Dubas Haters remain intent on trying to prove this was anything but a Win win is beyond me. Whatever floats your boat. (See Leaf fans moving on past this situation and letting the rest of you argue with each other).

We got bigger fish to fry now. Bring on Matthews and (eventually) Marner’s agent.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both sides did well here.

I believe Nylander wanted 8.0+ per year and the Leafs did not want to give more than 6.5M. It was never the plan of the Leafs to wait until Dec 1st (Dubas mentions this in the article in the Sun). But as the stalemate lasted, I believe the Leafs realized that they could use the CBA loophole and have a reduced cap in years 2-6. So for the Leafs to achieve a cap that makes them comfortable 6.9M, Nylander would have to accept 7.5M (probably went back and forth). The first year cap hit doesn't matter to the Leafs as they have alot of cap room.

In the end, the player receives a contract that makes him happy and the Leafs have a cap hit they can live with. The Leafs do not care about the actual dollar value (7.5M). MLSE realize they would make a killing if the Leafs advance far into the playoffs and for multiple years. MLSE would make alot of money on ticket sales, merchandising, advertising, you name it.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Lol. There are precisely 3 markets in the entire NHL where if you’re not a fanboi, you’re a hater.

The Great One

.........Nylander signed at 9.43% of the cap. I don't know why this is so hard for Leaf fans to understand. It's really really simple, for everyone not in Toronto, apparently. Must be something in Lake Ontario.
    My figures are directly from the athletic article today; I didn't pull out my calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    My figures are directly from the athletic article today; I didn't pull out my calculator.
    Very clear

The Great One

This thread has become a complete waste of space.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Very clear
    "David Pastrnak got $6.67-million on a six-year deal with the Bruins last fall, but what’s largely forgotten in that case is that he signed before he really blew up and actually had about the same points per game as Nylander (0.72) when he put ink to paper.

Nylander’s $6.97-million cap hit next season amounts to about 8.3 percent of a 2019-20 cap at $84-million or just slightly less than Pastrnak at 8.9 percent at the time of his signing." (Siegel article)

Congrats on reading