Thread: How much of a threat is Koskinen to Talbot?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default How much of a threat is Koskinen to Talbot?

As a Talbot owner, I'm disappointed with Talbot so far but also know it is still early in the season. I don't know much about Koskinen and haven't watched much of his game.

Both Talbot and Koskinen are UFA this year.. is there a risk that Koskinen will end up taking Talbot's spot? Just wondering if I should handcuff Koskinen now before it is too late.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: How much of a threat is Koskinen to Talbot?

I own Talbot and just added Koskinen as a handcuff - I want to believe in Talbot but I'm growing impatient.

Honestly, I doubt Koskinen is the long-term answer either. If Talbot doesn't prove he's the guy, I think they sign a FA for next year. So for this year, yes - I'd grab Koskinen until Talbot gets going.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Grand Master

They brought in Koskinen to give themselves a viable option, and he looks like he's doing just that. Talbot has been bad enough to deserve to lose his job, but a lot of NHL GM's seem interested in keeping the big contract guy starting.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I don’t know...both 1 yr remaining. Talbot at $4.1mil and Koskinen at $2.5mil. That’s not that big a difference.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Novice

I'm concerned. How would you guys fix my team to have place for Koskinen?
    NJ tandem is a tricky one. I belive they make everything to get Schneider back on track, but that may take time(?).
    JVR coming back from ir, and is taking the place of Konecny in my team ( i have too many PHI players anyway).
    C: Matthews, Aho, Malkin, Lindholm, Dubois, Trocheck
    LW: Landeskog, Hintz, Marchessault, Pacioretty
    RW: Reinhart, Wilson, E.Kane,
    D: Nurse, DeAngelo, Trouba, Seider
    G: Lehner, Jarry, Talbot, Smith
    IR: Hamilton

H2H 10 teams
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR
    (G),(A), (+/-), (PIM), (PPP), (SHP), (GWG), (SOG), (FW), (HIT)
    (W), (GAA), (SV), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I wouldn't try too hard to figure out a drop to hold Koskinen all year.
    As soon as JVR is back, you'll need to make a drop for JVR.
    So... if you are really considering holding Koskinen, you need to plan TWO drops. (probably Duchene & Galchenyuk, for me)
    But... while you wait for JVR - you might as well drop the guy that you will and hold Koskinen for a bit.

But - little tip, when JVR does come back.
    1st - drop a guy,
    2nd - then add Thatcher Demko (IR)
    3rd - then switch JVR with Demko

Duchene is my drop.
    He'll lose TOI and FOW once Zack Smith & Colin White returns, which should be shortly.

Demko's going through some head issues... but he may be future VAN #1 goalie, so he's a great guy to stash in an IR spot in keeper leagues.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Koskinen put up pretty elite numbers in the KHL. Crazy good save percentage in playoffs each year too. The job is still Talbot's to lose, but Koskinen is a goalie with some definite pedigree IMO.

I would certainly want to hold the handcuff in Edmonton if it was at all feasable for at least the next 10-15 games. See where the dust settles around the Christmas break (unless things get sorted out sooner).
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Koskinen put up pretty elite numbers in the KHL. Crazy good save percentage in playoffs each year too. The job is still Talbot's to lose, but Koskinen is a goalie with some definite pedigree IMO.

I would certainly want to hold the handcuff in Edmonton if it was at all feasable for at least the next 10-15 games. See where the dust settles around the Christmas break (unless things get sorted out sooner).
    Good advice, even two weeks after this post. Koskinen is holding and looking like the starter.
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by BealestreetTyrant View Post
    Good advice, even two weeks after this post. Koskinen is holding and looking like the starter.
    Koskinen is definitely the starter but they made him earn it which is great. I would say Talbot was quite good in 16-17 when the Oilers made the playoffs but outside of that, I don't know why people keep hanging on to him. To me he's an elite backup. The problem and maybe others have this too, is that I like Talbot and wish he was better.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Talbot has never put up great numbers. He lets in 1st shot goals at a ridiculously alarming rate every year. The one good year he had the team was able to outscore opponents to mask it for that year but he's been consistently horrible on 1st shot goals ever year. Google it! I think he's gone at the end of the season. I don't see how they can justify resigning him. He puts the team behind all the time and the team struggles to play from behind constantly. They brought in Koskinen for a reason and NYI tried to sign him which is the original team that drafted him. I think if he keeps going like this all season they will sign him as their starter going forward. McDavid said he gives them confidence in net. Good enough for me and given Talbot us a UFA why wouldn't they cut ties with him when they have an experienced 30 year old goalie in Koskinen.

Dobber Sports Sage

On a side note, Shestyorkin had very comparable stats in the KHL when they were on the same team for the past couple seasons. Since I have both on my team I was keeping tabs on them and people that followed the team said Shestyorkin was the better goalie. So remember that next season when he's backing up Hank in NY. Just a thought.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov