Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: There's an issue with this forum and I want to address it.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default There's an issue with this forum and I want to address it.

People on these forums are too blinded with shiny new toys. The Petterssons, the Dahlins, Debrincats, Tkachuk's, etc. And it's not right. The advice given is ridiculous and painful. Whatever happened to the age-old concepts of "consistency" and "track record"? What happened to the days where you evaluated players based on how good they are now? What happened to managers wanting to win now?

In too many threads, people are advising that these young, rookie types should be kept over bonafide stars with years of production. Any player over 25 years old, it seems, is past his prime. On the contrary, any player under the age of 22 with 5+ goals is the next Gretzky. It is getting ridiculous.

In one thread, a delirious manager said he preferred Pettersson to MacKinnon. Yes - the same MacKinnon who's 22 years old and led the league in PPG last year. In another thread, it was Pettersson over Scheifele. Aho over Stamkos. Boeser over Tarasenko. Aho over Malkin. Pettersson over Gaudreau.

STOP IT. IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT. You should be advising your dobber brethren to WIN NOW, not to win in a couple of years. Too often, this forum thinks about having the best looking keepers. The youngest guys, the hottest new names. But flags fly forever. While you're so busy collecting your holographic rookie cards, someone else in your league is running away with the championship using guys that are proven. Do the right thing, and give the right advice.

/END RANT

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: There's an issue with this forum and I want to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyeatbvg View Post
    People on these forums are too blinded with shiny new toys. The Petterssons, the Dahlins, Debrincats, Tkachuk's, etc. And it's not right. The advice given is ridiculous and painful. Whatever happened to the age-old concepts of "consistency" and "track record"? What happened to the days where you evaluated players based on how good they are now? What happened to managers wanting to win now?

In too many threads, people are advising that these young, rookie types should be kept over bonafide stars with years of production. Any player over 25 years old, it seems, is past his prime. On the contrary, any player under the age of 22 with 5+ goals is the next Gretzky. It is getting ridiculous.

In one thread, a delirious manager said he preferred Pettersson to MacKinnon
    . Yes - the same MacKinnon who's 22 years old and led the league in PPG last year. In another thread, it was Pettersson over Scheifele. Aho over Stamkos. Boeser over Tarasenko. Aho over Malkin. Pettersson over Gaudreau.

STOP IT. IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT. You should be advising your dobber brethren to WIN NOW, not to win in a couple of years. Too often, this forum thinks about having the best looking keepers. The youngest guys, the hottest new names. But flags fly forever. While you're so busy collecting your holographic rookie cards, someone else in your league is running away with the championship using guys that are proven. Do the right thing, and give the right advice.

/END RANT
    if this is directed at my question in another thread, you are sadly mistaken sir.

not once did i say i prefer Pettersson to Mack..im not an idiot. if you read the post i said the OGM wanted 2 plusses. so ya i told em to walk. hes been trying to get Pettersson on the cheap for weeks now, that and hes a notoriously impossible GM to deal with (you'd cry over some of the offers).

you may be one of those guys who's all about the name power, which is fine, we all know the type... theres alot of guys on here that still preach proven over potential, you obviously haven't seen that in your illustrious 2months here.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree, a lot of the time people are looking for the next shiny toy, but you have to take many things into account.

In a cap league, points only, one could argue Boeser over Tank is a smart move due to value?

League format, situation a team is in (too many aging vets, with a limited chance to win), keeper limit, etc all have to be taken into account. Obviously everyone's plan is to win now, but I think most people on this forum understand the position their teams are in, in their respective leagues. Sometimes winning now is out of the question. Why trade a young player for an aging vet if you know you don't have a realistic shot of taking home the championship? You could set your team back years.

You have 11 posts, so clearly you haven't voiced your opinion on many of those threads. Maybe bring something to the table before calling out the entire forum?
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    if this is directed at my question in another thread, you are sadly mistaken sir.

not once did i say i prefer Pettersson to Mack..im not an idiot. if you read the post i said the OGM wanted 2 plusses. so ya i told em to walk. hes been trying to get Pettersson on the cheap for weeks now, that and hes a notoriously impossible GM to deal with (you'd cry over some of the offers).

you may be one of those guys who's all about the name power, which is fine, we all know the type... theres alot of guys on here that still preach proven over potential, you obviously haven't seen that in your illustrious 2months here.
    That was directed at a comment to a question, so not yours. But thanks for trying to publicly shame my illustrious 2 months on dobber, I guess?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I agree, a lot of the time people are looking for the next shiny toy, but you have to take many things into account.

In a cap league, points only, one could argue Boeser over Tank is a smart move due to value?

League format, situation a team is in (too many aging vets, with a limited chance to win), keeper limit, etc all have to be taken into account. Obviously everyone's plan is to win now, but I think most people on this forum understand the position their teams are in, in their respective leagues. Sometimes winning now is out of the question. Why trade a young player for an aging vet if you know you don't have a realistic shot of taking home the championship? You could set your team back years.

You have 11 posts, so clearly you haven't voiced your opinion on many of those threads. Maybe bring something to the table before calling out the entire forum?
    The hypocrisy is incredible....

But I do agree with the rest of your post.

Dobber Sports Titan

My take on this initial post is that there is a bit of a range. Yes, some people do get caught up with the shiny new toy, but that's why you come to the forums: to get the mass opinion that evens out towards the best answer.

There will be some who have an opinion that is out to left field based on a hunch, but most of the comments are thought out. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, and we all have something to learn here

Two months or 20 years around here, it matters not. It's good to get called out every once in a while for that gut-check. I appreciate the voicing of the opinion.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

My buddy and I who are both on these forums laugh about this when we talk about up and coming studs. A lot of a time I will propose that I trade my new toy for one of his established studs and he will bulk, so I will tell him the Dobber (Not Dobber himself but the community) will love it!

Again it's on you as the person accepting the advice to make an informed decision. You will find that I am a lot more bias to win now then win later. I look at leagues in 3 years or less windows and if I think you can win this year I advise you to take the established stud. There are a few long term posters like me out there. Don't believe me? Look at my 6 keepers this year coming into this season. Malkin, Getzlaf, Ovi, Letang, Bobrvosky and my young whipper snapper Hall. Team grey bush all the way!
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

The hypocrisy is incredible....

But I do agree with the rest of your post.
    What I'm saying is, you're telling people to do the right thing and give the right advice, but haven't given any thoughts on those threads of your own. It's easy to critique people's opinions without presenting your own.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Administrator

Seems to me like a few posts were read and generalizations were made. Sure there will be people who make the wrong pick in a thread but the vast majority of the time I feel the thread as a whole gives the correct advice.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It’s too bad that this post will get more attention then people with legit question about fantasy hockey. Sigh.
    10 Team keeper league
    Keep 6
    H2H in each categories:
    SKATERS: G, A, PIM, SOG, GWG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    GOALIES: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

ROSTER:

C- Matthews, RNH(C,LW), Giroux, Stuetzle
    RW- Boeser, Rust, Hartman (C,RW), Pasta
    LW- K.Connor, Debrincat (LW,RW), Skinner
    D- Trouba, Burns, Letang, Makar, Doughty
    Goalie- Markstrom , Bobrovsky, Saros
    IR-

Dobber Sports Ninja

Agree with the general message behind your post. Disagree with your method of addressing it.

The shiny new toy hype is definitely a real thing. But it's an inevitable thing in fantasy hockey. Just like early-season panicking, just like off-season doldrums. It just happens. And for the most part, people tend to keep a level head. But dialogue is the whole point of a forum. If you don't like what you see others writing, then voice your own opinion. Or if it's so unbearable that you can't stand it, then nobody is asking you to be here.

Here's the counterargument though. 9 times out of 10, yes keeping the proven over the potential is the right way to go. But every once and awhile, a player comes into the league into a situation to thrive, with a boatload of talent, with a coach who is willing to let the player off the leash and let him show his creativity, with a PP that has decent success. Not to mention, players are having career years much earlier now than they did before - 10 years ago you probably had to wait about 5-6 years before a player popped off for 80 points. Now we have 20 year olds threatening 90-100. I'm not saying I would keep the younger player in any of the examples you provided, but I do think keeping the shiny new toy over the proven player is more reasonable now than it was before.

I think what my bigger issue is, is when threads turn into "xx player for sure" from about 10 forum members, with little to no reasoning behind their selection. In some cases yes, it is really that far apart. But I've seen threads where (imo) the comparison is much closer than people are making it out to be, often times because the person who created the thread has indicated that they will rep people for responses.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Icon

That was directed at a comment to a question, so not yours. But thanks for trying to publicly shame my illustrious 2 months on dobber, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    My take on this initial post is that there is a bit of a range. Yes, some people do get caught up with the shiny new toy, but that's why you come to the forums: to get the mass opinion that evens out towards the best answer.

There will be some who have an opinion that is out to left field based on a hunch, but most of the comments are thought out. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, and we all have something to learn here

Two months or 20 years around here, it matters not. It's good to get called out every once in a while for that gut-check. I appreciate the voicing of the opinion.
    i should apologize to teh OP.

my intent was to not make light of his short time here, rather to point out that the longer youve been here you will see that will say take the proven over potential.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Titan

I dislike when people open a thread to insult some peoples opinions. That's pretty petty in my eyes.

People are allowed to get excited about young players, and young players are becoming star players quicker and quicker. Yes there are some outlandish points being made, but all in all Dobber is still the best source for hockey. We have a lot of new members at this time of the year and asking questions and making posts are great ways to learn and grow.

New people, don't let these type of members stop you from posting. Make statements, post your thoughts, and even go back and see what you got right, and what data works for you. I'm partial to looking at certain states and avoiding others to interpret if a player is hot, lucky, or blossoming. Took me prolly a season of testing to see what stats I like to look at.

Good work Dobber community.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Amazing what a few choice words could do.
    1. Title should have been different. "issue with this forum" is a phrasing that encompasses ALL of us on the forums. I know (from being part of the forums for 8+ years) that we don't ALL have the same opinions.
    2. Leading the body with "A few people..." would probably have been more accurate and less abrasive.

Hopefully OP isn't too proud to issue an apology - because one is needed here.
    Welcome to the forums!!! There IS room for differing opinions!

Signed: former, & current, abrasive, mistake-maker & apology-issuer.

Dobber Sports Genius

There are many times that the consensus i that the proven player is the right choice around here. Often I’ve seen it when the player is 30 years old and following a standard scoring regression and the odds say SELL SELL SELL.

it’s all a balancing act because there are many times that the young player can be the right choice so when a young player is good enough to start that conversation he shouldn’t be dismissed as just a less proven player.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar