Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sens Players Caught on Uber Camera

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Sens Players Caught on Uber Camera

Lol @ the concept that choosing to live in prime real estate in urban centres is “living a modest lifestyle”. We don’t need to derail this thread otherwise with a debate on tipping. My experience with generous tippers is that they just don’t really understand math.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lol @ the concept that choosing to live in prime real estate in urban centres is “living a modest lifestyle”. We don’t need to derail this thread otherwise with a debate on tipping. My experience with generous tippers is that they just don’t really understand math.
    I think he means, that's where the work is... Those establishments are in prime downtown areas but no one is bussing 90 mins plus to work at Earls downtown.. never mind getting back at 3 am... so they have to live downtown.. and that shit is expensive. I think that's the point.

My experience is that generous tippers are, well, generous. To each his own I guess.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    But Kanye and Kim, Sterling and his gf, those are private individuals. I don't think a business (not a journalist one, but a commerce, like Uber) can record surreptitiously for any purpose and then make those recordings public, if the recording has nothing to do with the purpose.

Also, the Uber driver was not a party to the conversation, so I do not believe the single party exception applies. He was a bystander, not a participant. I think this breaks the rules as an interception of a private conversation to which the recorder was not a party.
    Technically, it wasn't Uber that released the video. It was the cab driver. Although if Lawman was still around, he could probably explain that one and if there is a difference. I can't see why any business couldn't release the conversations if they didn't want to. They just don't because it would be bad for business.

I think the driver was part of the conversation. He asked a question, and just because someone is silent for 10 minutes doesn't mean he wasn't part of the conversation.

Anyways, good discussion. Always fun to debate this stuff back and forth.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Genorisity comes back 10 fold my friend. Math was always my best subject. To each their own.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Titan

The thought that I have to pay a companies employee so they can get that decent wage is a ridiculous concept to me. No one tips me at my job, no one tips at McDonalds, No one tips a flight attendant (or they aren't expected).

Pay your employees the decent wage, and don't have me pay the gap between decent and reality. Europe's tipping system is what I want NA to be. You get tipped if you do a good job, only if, not "Oh they took long, only a 10% tip for this one!"
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The thought that I have to pay a companies employee so they can get that decent wage is a ridiculous concept to me. No one tips me at my job, no one tips at McDonalds, No one tips a flight attendant (or they aren't expected).

Pay your employees the decent wage, and don't have me pay the gap between decent and reality. Europe's tipping system is what I want NA to be. You get tipped if you do a good job, only if, not "Oh they took long, only a 10% tip for this one!"
    Amen Brother!!!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    It's a selling point for uber the company. Drivers for ride share get paid really crappy wages and generally hate the stance ride share companies take on optional tipping. Tips make up a big portion of their take home income. Without them and factoring in the cost of your vehicle the typical hourly wage for these guys is really really low (we'll below minimum wage in any 1st world country, something like 2-5 dollars an hour on average).

Wouldn't surprise me at all if a crappy or no tip led to the release of the video.
    Do you know this for fact or are you assuming? Because I always ask my drivers when I take a ride with them (both Uber and Lyft) and I've heard both ends of the spectrum. Some have told me that Lyft takes a smaller % of the fare that the rider is charged, others claim that Uber's customer service for their drivers is better. Some tell me that the coupons that we get to use ride share programs comes out of their cut, others tell me it doesn't. I've heard Lyft drivers shit on Uber for various reasons, Uber drivers shit on Lyft for various reasons, and also drivers tell me that they drive for both.

I disagree that tips make up a big portion of their take home income. Admittedly I don't have the statistics to back me up, but I would be willing to bet that majority of people that use ride share services do not tip. And I think it's a little too simplistic to say that people who don't tip are generally cheap. When I go to a restaurant or bar, the minimum I'll tip is 15%. Do a shitty job? I'll drop it to 10%. At my favourite places to go, I regularly tip 20%. But I don't regularly tip my Uber or Lyft drivers, because like I said when these companies first came out that was a major marketing tool for them - you didn't have to tip. So when drivers originally started signing up to drive for Uber or Lyft, they knew that. I'll tip a driver if I feel bad that my route ended up taking up a ton of their time (I remember one time in downtown Toronto it took me 30 minutes to get a ride that was maybe 5 blocks, so I tipped the guy since I knew that having me in his car that long probably cost him more than what my fare was).

But this is all a moot point in my opinion, because I don't understand why people are making this a bigger issue than it is. As far as the driver in this case is concerned, it shouldn't matter who he's driving. He's doing his job. He heard that he was carrying 7 professional athletes and got his hopes up that he would get a nice handout because of pure dumb luck. He was disappointed when he didn't get it, and out of spite attempted to derail 7 young players' careers. That's such a scummy move.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

One of the marketing points for uber was you didn't need to tip initially. They had no option on their app to do so, and they didn't want you to give the driver cash (safety was their reasoning).

Uber's stance initially was also getting the customer hooked on cheaper rates and slowly increase them and the company was taking a loss to make this happen. They've increased the prices, lowered what drivers get, and added a tipping option to make up the difference.

I honestly think Ubers get paid a solid amount. I talked to one guy who lives in Hamilton, drives to Toronto to uber for 8/9hrs and he made more than I do after he paid for his gas (drove a Prius). They get paid a good amount per hour if they are constantly working. The drivers who say they don't get paid well are the ones who get 3 rides/hr with no work for like half an hr. The per minute of being paid is quite good for Uber.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

But this is all a moot point in my opinion, because I don't understand why people are making this a bigger issue than it is. As far as the driver in this case is concerned, it shouldn't matter who he's driving. He's doing his job. He heard that he was carrying 7 professional athletes and got his hopes up that he would get a nice handout because of pure dumb luck. He was disappointed when he didn't get it, and out of spite attempted to derail 7 young players' careers. That's such a scummy move.
    INDEED.

this thread took a 90 degree turn, but i followed it..

1. the driver is a POS for doing this, no questions. hes not entitled to a tip, get over it.
    2. i must be the cheapest SOB here because i only tip if its warranted. your service was shit..you get no tip plain and simple. its not part of my bill, unless its expressly stated. its not my job to supplement your income, it is literally your job to provide me the service im there at the establishment to receive..haircut, restaurant, gas, taxi/Uber..
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Technically, it wasn't Uber that released the video. It was the cab driver. Although if Lawman was still around, he could probably explain that one and if there is a difference. I can't see why any business couldn't release the conversations if they didn't want to. They just don't because it would be bad for business.

I think the driver was part of the conversation. He asked a question, and just because someone is silent for 10 minutes doesn't mean he wasn't part of the conversation.

Anyways, good discussion. Always fun to debate this stuff back and forth.
    Well, I’m a lawyer too, like lawman, so I think I can get a handle on it. What made it unlawful was releasing the video publicly for a purpose that was not its intended one and then gaining commercially from it. Eric macramalla of TSN has the same take. Recording it may not be illegal but if you release it for a propose not originally stated it changes the expectation of privacy. Hence why he was fired and has now said sorry and said he was drunk when he published it to the web.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Well, I’m a lawyer too, like lawman, so I think I can get a handle on it. What made it unlawful was releasing the video publicly for a purpose that was not its intended one and then gaining commercially from it. Eric macramalla of TSN has the same take. Recording it may not be illegal but if you release it for a propose not originally stated it changes the expectation of privacy. Hence why he was fired and has now said sorry and said he was drunk when he published it to the web.
    I guess, at least he wasn't drunk while driving them...?
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby