Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nylander....who's to blame

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Nylander....who's to blame

If the reports out there are accurate, both sides are roughly 2 million apart on a long term and as little as 1 million apart on a short term deal with neither side, seemingly, willing to act like Solomon and split the difference. Nylander looking for 8 years at 8.5 per and the Leafs offering 6-6.5 for 6 years. Then there's the short term offers of 2-4 years for at 4 per year and Nylander seeking 5 per year for that period. At some point you have to wonder if his father/agent have his best interests at heart. The kid is young and in a good situation with a team on the cum. The short term deal, if accurate, seems the easier difference to bridge.

Administrator

Default Re: Nylander....who's to blame

I don't think it's a good idea to blame one side or the other. For starters we're not even part of the conversations and meetings. Both sides believe what they believe and it's led to where we are now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

it's been said that the best deals are the ones where both sides walk away unhappy. I'm putting it on both of them for failing, seemingly, to be able to reach a compromise a month into the season and another month away from the pro game for this kid. To a point, you're correct, we don't know if the numbers being leaked out are accurate...or who is leaking them to seemingly try to curry public favor. The hot start by the team has seemingly taken away some of Nylander's leverage. Wonder if the Matthews injury will be downplayed if more significant so the team tries to not let it's leverage slide. Frustrating stuff for Toronto fans and people with Nylander on their rosters.

Dobber Sports Initiate

it's hard for us rec division guys...guys who give anything to skate a day on an NHL rink, to comprehend sitting out over a situation like this one. On the flip side, if you consider yourself an elite talent, you will feel that you should be compensated like an elite talent.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Nylander knows what Marner is going to get, so he wants that!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Now Matthews Out a month...leverage pendulum ticking back to Nylander?

Administrator

I'm sure Shanahan will go in front of cameras again and talk about the sacrifices he and his friends made in the past when their team payroll would be pushing today's cap ceiling...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Haven't we been hammering this discussion out in this thread already?

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...light=nylander
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    The kid is young and in a good situation with a team on the cum.
    Man now we know why Toronto's been doing so well!

In all seriousness though I don't really see why there needs to be blame assigned to anyone here. Professional sports is a very complex system with a lot of drivers. I think it's naive to blame either side to begin with because we don't know what discussions are going on behind closed doors. And I think Brian Burke put it best on an episode of PrimeTime sports where he talked about how he knew that over time, the public would side more and more with the team and begin to blame Nylander, which isn't fair at all.

Bottom line is Dubas made a promise he wasn't sure he could keep (signing Tavares and retaining all of the kids), and is probably trying to play hardball here to save face. I wouldn't even say that's me assigning blame either, it's just stating what is. Business is tough.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like the Dubas angle

Dobber Sports Stud

Nylander is not worth $6+ to the Leafs. They will need that money for other players.

No one is too blame, it's a business.

Hopefully he gets moved as he is a great talent but the leafs would be wise to use that money elsewhere IMO. Even if not but, keep that sister available for future additions and resigning Matthews/Marner.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if not now**(not but)

Keep that money** (not sister)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Not really. They need a center to fill in for AM and Babs has made it very clear that he doesn't trust Willie in the middle.

And, besides, he never had leverage to begin with, so I'm not sure how the pendulum could swing back to him.
    If Nylander were not to sign on Dec 1st and miss the whole year, Dubas would take some criticism and ire from the fan base for sure
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    If Nylander were not to sign on Dec 1st and miss the whole year, Dubas would take some criticism and ire from the fan base for sure
    Is that really enough to sway? It's not like they lose him, or can't sign him. They can sign him post Dec1 he just can't play. I don't think Leaf Nation would consider it a lose if Dubas doesn't sign him. The fanbase also doesn't control Dubas's fate, he doesn't care about what we thnk.

The team is 8-3 right now, and if they even go 0-5 in the next 2 weeks (Calgary, Dallas, @Pitt, Vegas, NJD) they are still 8-8. Until the team gets destroyed for 5+ games, the Nylander needle does not move.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Is that really enough to sway? It's not like they lose him, or can't sign him. They can sign him post Dec1 he just can't play. I don't think Leaf Nation would consider it a lose if Dubas doesn't sign him. The fanbase also doesn't control Dubas's fate, he doesn't care about what we thnk.

The team is 8-3 right now, and if they even go 0-5 in the next 2 weeks (Calgary, Dallas, @Pitt, Vegas, NJD) they are still 8-8. Until the team gets destroyed for 5+ games, the Nylander needle does not move.
    I think it all depends on how the narrative plays out. If the Leafs go deep into the playoffs or even win it all, then it'll all be fine. But anything short of that and people will paint the narrative of what could have been if the Leafs had another talented young star in their lineup, or a solid top 4 D in his place.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think it all depends on how the narrative plays out. If the Leafs go deep into the playoffs or even win it all, then it'll all be fine. But anything short of that and people will paint the narrative of what could have been if the Leafs had another talented young star in their lineup, or a solid top 4 D in his place.
    Then Nylander signs and it a good contract like 6millx6yrs?

Too many ifs and buts right now. Both ways (assuming it will end well or end bad)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll