Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Games Friday?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default No Games Friday?

Anyone have any clue why there's 0 games scheduled tomorrow?

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: No Games Friday?

The NHL is bad at scheduling?

Dobber Sports Stud

bad is not the word. this is by far the strangest beginning to a season in any sport.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Immortal

On a Friday!? Really NHL....really....

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    bad is not the word. this is by far the strangest beginning to a season in any sport.
    Like having pre-season games still being played on the same day the regular season starts?! Come on , NHL, how is that even a thing?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Padawan

yeah i have no idea why they decided to pack everything onto a Thursday night

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Only thing I can think of is because of baseball playoffs
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would speculate that NHL owners have made a push to get their home games on a Saturday night - at least to start the season.
    The trickle effect is that Thursday becomes the previous day, to get a day of rest.
    NHL has always been Tu/Th/Sat heavy... but this year IS especially heavy in October.

As a dad, it's really tough to have to finish work at 5pm, get home, collect the kids, and make it into a city center for a 7pm puck drop.
    Just... too difficult.
    And considering the NHL has contracted out its TV package - well, they would now be MORE focused on "live" draw for owner - since the TV viewership revenue is already "in pocket".
    In other words - the NHL isn't directly concerned about the TV-viewer this season (& next). So, less reason to schedule at least one game every night.

I'd love to see NHL attendance over past 5 years for Friday vs. Saturday for mid-market (non-traditional teams).
    I'd bet its 1000-2000 tickets difference.

It's evident all month in October. Other Fridays:
    Oct 5 - just 2 games
    Oct 12 - no games
    Oct 19 - just 3 games
    Oct 26 - just 4 games
    Nov 2 - just 3 games

then Nov 9 - it jumps up to 6 games (when baseball will be about done)

I think we've actually gotten a bit spoiled by the NHL getting at least ONE game on every night.
    If I'm an NHL owner... I don't want even a single game on a lesser-drawing night when my building has a Saturday night open.

Dobber Sports Pro

Schedule has been weird to say the least.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I would speculate that NHL owners have made a push to get their home games on a Saturday night - at least to start the season.
    The trickle effect is that Thursday becomes the previous day, to get a day of rest.
    NHL has always been Tu/Th/Sat heavy... but this year IS especially heavy in October.

As a dad, it's really tough to have to finish work at 5pm, get home, collect the kids, and make it into a city center for a 7pm puck drop.
    Just... too difficult.
    And considering the NHL has contracted out its TV package - well, they would now be MORE focused on "live" draw for owner - since the TV viewership revenue is already "in pocket".
    In other words - the NHL isn't directly concerned about the TV-viewer this season (& next). So, less reason to schedule at least one game every night.

I'd love to see NHL attendance over past 5 years for Friday vs. Saturday for mid-market (non-traditional teams).

Oct 5 - just 2 games
    Oct 12 - no games
    Oct 19 - just 3 games
    Oct 26 - just 4 games
    Nov 2 - just 3 games

I think we've actually gotten a bit spoiled by the NHL getting at least ONE game on every night.
    If I'm an NHL owner... I don't want even a single game on a lesser-drawing night when my building has a Saturday night open.
    I agree with the sentiment here but think if you have 0 games you've gone to far in that direction. Having 1-2 games on every night of the week is what distinguishes NHL and NBA from Football. It allows the casual viewer to always have a game to watch and allows "lesser" teams to get a little bit of national focus (just like Thursday/Monday Football). Anyways, as a NHL fan and fantasy owner I hope this does not become a regular thing.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Master

The NHL has given up on the American market. They win the Canadian market by default, since watching and playing hockey in this country is second to eating and sleeping for so many.

In the USA, it's like that in certain regions, but that's it. Nationally, they don't care about hockey and the NHL looks like it's made up its mind about that, at least from a broadcasting perspective. I think that's why they send teams overseas to start the regular season and for in-season games.. Even if it messes everything up for local viewers. They want shares of a global market and are trying to set down roots in markets where they feel it isn't saturated by other sports, like the USA.

It's stupid, but I suppose you can call them realists that way.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    The NHL has given up on the American market. They win the Canadian market by default, since watching and playing hockey in this country is second to eating and sleeping for so many.

In the USA, it's like that in certain regions, but that's it. Nationally, they don't care about hockey and the NHL looks like it's made up its mind about that, at least from a broadcasting perspective. I think that's why they send teams overseas to start the regular season and for in-season games.. Even if it messes everything up for local viewers. They want shares of a global market and are trying to set down roots in markets where they feel it isn't saturated by other sports, like the USA.

It's stupid, but I suppose you can call them realists that way.
    I don't think the NHL has given up on the American market-- I think it's the complete opposite. I think that most of the weird goings-on are desperate attempts by the NHL to win more American fans. Hopefully they'll learn that they're going about it in the complete wrong way and it's causing the hockey-skeptics to care even less and take the league less seriously.

Ex: all of the new third jerseys seem catered to American fans. A lot of them mimic NFL jerseys in my opinion. Especially the Pens new third jersey.

Dobber Sports Master

That's a good point.. Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the NHL's broadcast attention is not at winning itself prized positions in prime time on all the US national networks... instead it seems like they're focused on overseas markets.. Otherwise, having nights (where most people don't work) with no games is a really strange way to go about it...

"Hey, I just had a long week... Why don't I sit down, with my family or friends or even alone, crack a beer and watch some NHL hock....what? Bowling...?".

Oy....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Most Canadian market games would be sellouts on a Friday, would be a national audience for at least one game. Guess we watch poker, paint drying or baseball tonite
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Just... too difficult.

Oct 5 - just 2 games
    Oct 12 - no games
    Oct 19 - just 3 games
    Oct 26 - just 4 games
    Nov 2 - just 3 games

but I get Friday's off. stupid nhl not thinking about me when they're making the schedule.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO