Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

only game 2 of the season , heres a thread at HF boards leaf sub forum

I love Tavares. I think he will be a good player for us. But I really wish we would have spent the money on a defenseman.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...e-5-3.2552953/

another poster same thread
    Meanwhile -- an unpopular opinion --- but we have three questionable defensemen, and Tavares. I said signing him was a bad idea, and we will see. We really need more solid top defensemen. That means no Hainsey, no Zaitsev, no Ozzie. I would love to have that 11 million back, sign a few top defensemen, or one, sign Nylander because now you have more money. Dominoes fall, folks....

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post

I love Tavares. I think he will be a good player for us. But I really wish we would have spent the money on a defenseman.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...e-5-3.2552953/

Meanwhile -- an unpopular opinion --- but we have three questionable defensemen, and Tavares. I said signing him was a bad idea, and we will see. We really need more solid top defensemen. That means no Hainsey, no Zaitsev, no Ozzie. I would love to have that 11 million back, sign a few top defensemen, or one, sign Nylander because now you have more money. Dominoes fall, folks....
    I dont go to HF, but pretty much my opinion since they signed JT. It was a great signing for the Leafs, but wasn't as large of a roster priority for them as much as a D was. It was more of a publicity thing than a roster booster IMO. That being said, there really wasnt much out there for Dmen this off-season who were worth chasing in free agency. Hopefully they can move one of their better assets (Nylander) to land the type of Dman that can help them win more games.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Well, when I say close to $8M, that could be taken a little above, or a little below.

The funny part is Leafs Management have already come out and said they expect all of their high-end forwards to take a little less for the team to stay together. (https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ions-1.4849758)

Good luck with that.
    If McDavid will take less than he could have got, why is it impossible that other Leafs players won't do the same? Heck, it's been widely reported Tavares was offered more money elsewhere; he also took less to play in Toronto.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If McDavid will take less than he could have got, why is it impossible that other Leafs players won't do the same? Heck, it's been widely reported Tavares was offered more money elsewhere; he also took less to play in Toronto.
    I didn't say impossible, but improbable that all of them are taking pay cuts to stay. They are already hitting hurdle number one. They haven't even started on two or three yet.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I didn't say impossible, but improbable that all of them are taking pay cuts to stay. They are already hitting hurdle number one. They haven't even started on two or three yet.
    By all accounts, everyone knew hurdle number 1 (willie) won't be a tough case. I hope Dubas makes willie sit all year....

Dobber Sports Deity

I hope Willie watches them struggle against hapless teams like Montreal and Ottawa all year, like they've done so far.

Dobber Sports Sage

Agreed.

It's one thing to take less when you have already made 30-40 mil (Tavares) but I am not a big fan of them expecting and putting public pressure on these guys to do it. Pretty funny seeing some of the comments directed towards Shanahan when he made his comments earlier this week about taking less and being a good teammate.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post

Idiocy. The league has been based on strength up the middle for years. The rarest commodity is a true number 1 center and we have 2.

As for D, Reilly and Gardiner would be much more appreciated and rated if they were not in Toronto, and all of our D is still considered young. Reilly is our best and he is only 24. There will also be veteran D available at the trade deadline like there is every year.

We are 2 games in and the HFboards (ridiculous) "the sky is falling" sentiments should remain there.

As far as Nylander goes, the salary cap has changed the way teams are built. No more back loading, no more long extensions, so Dubas has to negotiate the way it is required. Shanahan was absolutely truthful and forthright in his analogy of the Red Wings, but until you win, it does not seem applicable. Although it is likely the only road to winning. Nylander can demand, he can sit, the Leafs do not need him. Worse case scenario he gets traded for the defenseman that everyone desires. The CBA has cretaed the playing field, and if Nylander does not want the Ehlers --- Pasternak range 6.1-6.7 and he does not want the Nurse bridge contract 3 @ 3.2, then stay home with your father and come talk to us next year.

Matthews will get his 12, Marner likely 8.25, so Nylander will take his 6.25 or suffer the consequences. If all else fails, go play elsewhere. These players are too stupid to see that 6million and winning is a very different quality of life than 8 and losing, but they are kids.

If you don't like it, discuss it with your agent and the NHLPA during the lockout.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Agreed.

It's one thing to take less when you have already made 30-40 mil (Tavares) but I am not a big fan of them expecting and putting public pressure on these guys to do it. Pretty funny seeing some of the comments directed towards Shanahan when he made his comments earlier this week about taking less and being a good teammate.
    This x a million. The pressure by management is completely self serving and makes me shake my head. They are trying to publicly shame these kids into taking less than they've earned.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's funny how Leafs fans think they'll get full value if they trade Nylander now. They won't. They might get 50% of his actual trade value. Teams don't want to solve problems for other teams, and they don't want to acquire potential problems (holdouts). It's easy to say "just trade him for a top pair defenseman" but that's very unlikely to happen. Both sides are hurt because of the situation, and a compromise is the only solution. It's pretty ridiculous to put all the blame on a 22-year-old kid.

Dobber Sports Sage

It's been mentioned but the trade return for Nylander is a real life trade where top 4 defenseman are significantly more valuable than wingers. Think Hall vs Larson only Nylander is no Tayler hall and he's currently holding out so id expect a worse return. Essentially its probably no where near worth trading him right now. Leafs might actually be hoping for an offer sheet in some ways. I doubt that's coming though.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

For every McDavid there’s a Draisaitl....

Dobber Sports Deity

Of course JT took less to play in Toronto. It was his childhood team that he grew up idolizing. Marner may take a cut for this reason too, but that's not the case for Nylander or Matthews. I dont expect them to take a cut and its almost arrogant for Leafs mgmt to think that they will take less to play for the Leafs so they can all play together. I just dont see it happening for them all.

The Great One

Of course JT took less to play in Toronto. It was his childhood team that he grew up idolizing. Marner may take a cut for this reason too, but that's not the case for Nylander or Matthews. I dont expect them to take a cut and its almost arrogant for Leafs mgmt to think that they will take less to play for the Leafs so they can all play together. I just dont see it happening for them all.
    I guess McDavid grew up an Oilers fan, by that logic.

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess McDavid grew up an Oilers fan, by that logic.
    McDavid wasn't a UFA.