Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

The Great One

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Make it 3 firsts then!

Big Daddy

Marc Savard tweeted late last night that he has an anonymous source that is saying William will sign if they offer $6.9M. Not sure how much to put into that.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The Tampa comparison is bad because of the tax rate situation. $8M in Tampa equals to $11M in Toronto. That's why Tampa is able to get team-friendly deals.

If you look at Nylander's comparables, $8M isn't outrageous in an expensive city like Toronto. You have to remember that the cap has gone up since those comparables were signed, so his number is obviously going to seem a bit high because of that. I've said all along that $7M is where they should meet - it's where neither side is happy which is what compromises are all about. But to me, $8M is a more reasonable ask than $6M, so that's why I'm siding with the side that's being more reasonable.
    Good points JO, however it’s not all about tax dollars. Endorsement $$ potential in Toronto helps balance the inequality your suggesting. And while I understand that the cap has gone up this year and last (when the Ehlers/Pasta deals were signed) if you figure out the “rate of inflation per player” (i.e. cap increase divided across the cap hit players) on this roster, I’d challenge that it didn’t result in a 1.5 to 2 million increase for this player on the Leafs. I’m no mathematician and the thought trying to figure that out hurts my head but that’s my best guess.

Still think 8 million is high and agree more with $6.5 to your suggested 7 million hit which I feel compensates him for his potential yet realized swell. That’s over $1 million per 10 points for a 60-70(maybe) point player who has yet to prove his value NOT playing with Matthews.

Just my perspective.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Good points JO, however it’s not all about tax dollars. Endorsement $$ potential in Toronto helps balance the inequality your suggesting. And while I understand that the cap has gone up this year and last (when the Ehlers/Pasta deals were signed) if you figure out the “rate of inflation per player” (i.e. cap increase divided across the cap hit players) on this roster, I’d challenge that it didn’t result in a 1.5 to 2 million increase for this player on the Leafs. I’m no mathematician and the thought trying to figure that out hurts my head but that’s my best guess.

Still think 8 million is high and agree more with $6.5 to your suggested 7 million hit which I feel compensates him for his potential yet realized swell. That’s over $1 million per 10 points for a 60-70(maybe) point player who has yet to prove his value NOT playing with Matthews.

Just my perspective.
    Not sure what kind of endorsement deals are available for a guy most people consider to be their sixth most important player. I'm guessing the top guys get the most of that whereas Nylander could get similar dollars somewhere else where he's the #2 or #3 guy on the team. Let's say he gets $1M in other cities. Does he really get $4M in Toronto? I doubt it.

Calculating the cap increase isn't all that difficult. Just calculate how many percentage those guys got of the cap, and then calculate what that means with today's cap. So for example Pasta's $6.67M equals to $7.07M now.

The suggested $6.9M from above post seems like something that should be reasonable for both sides. As said, I didn't suggest they should give him $8M, just that it's not an outrageous ask, especially if the team is low-balling him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The problem really seems to be that Toronto fans seem to think $6 mil per year on a long term deal is fair, when there’s not really any evidence to back that up.

Dobber Sports Titan

Nylander in Toronto making 7mill could def get things free/commercials enough to make up that 1mill he's looking for, but if/when he's traded to a team like CBJ, he loses that "make-up dollars" pretty quickly.

He's trying to protect himself from being traded and losing all the money he left on the table.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Nylander in Toronto making 7mil could def get things free/commercials enough to make up that 1mill he's looking for, but if/when he's traded to a team like CBJ, he loses that "make-up dollars" pretty quickly.
    You're forgetting about the 53% he has to give up to the tax man

Dobber Sports Deity

Salaries are guaranteed. Endorsement deals are not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

GAIN OF SALT ALERT:

Dubas apparently was asked by a CBJ fan when getting off the bus "where do you stand on Nylander" or something like that and Dubas said, "I'll have an update by 5pm".

Bob McKenzie was scrambling to get some info together before he went on Leafs Lunch, but he pretty much said nothing new has been leaked at all to him.

Some points:
    -game day, 5pm could just be Dubas conference before a game
    -the tweets about 6.9mill yesterday is fuel to this fire
    -Babcock's comments yesterday is fuel to this fire
    -LeafNation has prolly even used cloud formation as a form of a rumour that Nylander is signing soon.
    -Leaf organization is pretty freaking tight lipped the last few yrs so I don't think any information that's leaked from "sources" if ever true.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    GAIN OF SALT ALERT:

Dubas apparently was asked by a CBJ fan when getting off the bus "where do you stand on Nylander" or something like that and Dubas said, "I'll have an update by 5pm".

Bob McKenzie was scrambling to get some info together before he went on Leafs Lunch, but he pretty much said nothing new has been leaked at all to him.

Some points:
    -game day, 5pm could just be Dubas conference before a game
    -the tweets about 6.9mill yesterday is fuel to this fire
    -Babcock's comments yesterday is fuel to this fire
    -LeafNation has prolly even used cloud formation as a form of a rumour that Nylander is signing soon.
    -Leaf organization is pretty freaking tight lipped the last few yrs so I don't think any information that's leaked from "sources" if ever true.
    Is anyone posted up at the airports keeping an eye out for Nylander?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Prolly funny enough lol

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    TMZ
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Marc Savard tweeted late last night that he has an anonymous source that is saying William will sign if they offer $6.9M. Not sure how much to put into that.
    Nice
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Big Daddy

I don’t think the CBJ fan was telling a lie and looking for 15 minutes of fame. I fully believe Dubas responded with his 5pm comment but he was trolling all of us because he knew the reaction it would get.

I’m blocked by James Mirtl of Twitter but I saw Dubas responded with a gif of a character from The Office tolling his eyes. He’s a young guy that likes to have a bit of fun. The 5pm comment was a total troll job.

Can anyone tell me what the original Mirtl tweet was by the way?

Big Daddy

Tic-toc, only 34 hours left.

Don’t you think Nylander should have at least flown into Toronto yesterday or today for the last hours of the deadline to show he wants to end this?