Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zack Smith (Ott) Waived!?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Zack Smith (Ott) Waived!?

I don't get this move though. Smith is overpaid, especially considering his last season, sure. But he does bring a presence and he's been a good soldier for the Sens, and it's not like they don't have the cap space for him. On this team, is he really so bad to have around that it's worth the risk of losing him for nothing to save $1mil? In favor of playing a bunch of prospects that may not even be ready? If this team winds up messing up their prospects' development with this stunt they'll be one of the worst teams in history. They will lose Stone and Duchene and have a bunch of broken prospects to show for it. Something like a 20% chance at Lafreniere or whoever is not worth the cost to the franchise.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Ummm....Z.Smith cleared waives and is on their AHL. They don't save any payroll really...he's still getting his full salary....But I guess you could argue they wanted someone to claim him, but they couldn't get a deal done via trade at all over the last yr without retaining salary, who would claim him for his full salary?

They save cap space, and put 1mill on their cap for a player that isn't there, so that's a bonus for a team hitting the floor. But they save no actual dollars with this move if I'm thinking the right thing.

I think this is a "you can't play a vet if he's on the AHL squad".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

It's also not unheard of to see guys waived/clear and then not get demoted. Or they get demoted and called up quickly. It can be an attempt to boost motivation or a scare tactic. It could also be a tool for roster flexibility. Who knows with this team...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

From cap friendly:

These are the players the Ottawa Senators protected 15 months ago in the Vegas Expansion Draft, June 2017

Hoffman -Traded
    Brassard -Traded
    Stone -UFA in July
    Turris -Traded
    Smith -Waived earlier today
    Pageau
    Dzingel -UFA in July

Phaneuf -Traded
    Karlsson -Traded
    Ceci

Anderson

Dobber Sports Expert

Love the quote

Brent Wallace@tsn_wally

Matt Duchene on Zack Smith being placed on waivers "I'll be honest, it's a kick in the balls for us."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    These are the players the Ottawa Senators protected 15 months ago in the Vegas Expansion Draft, June 2017
    The expansion draft seemed to have a worse effect on Ottawa than on a lot of other teams. Losing Methot may or may not have been part of the problem last season, it's hard to say, but it was definitely the beginning of the end of that era of the Sens. Certainly it couldn't have looked good losing him only to see him traded for a second and a middling goalie prospect -- how hard could Dorion really have tried to work out a deal with McPhee at that price? Meanwhile his chats with Ryan and Phaneuf went over like lead balloons and probably made things worse in the locker room. They really need to let Duchene, Anderson and Stone go. It's not fair to them at this point. They need a blank slate badly, preferably one without Melnyk, Dorion, and Boucher..
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting. Mark Letestu just got released from his PTO. I could see Ottawa reaching out to fill the hole. Much cheaper option who a better center.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting. Mark Letestu just got released from his PTO. I could see Ottawa reaching out to fill the hole. Much cheaper option who a better center.
    While this is true, the Senators would then be paying Zack Smith AND Mark Letestu which is not cheaper at all.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Just because Smith has cleared waivers does not mean they HAVE to send him down. he can still start the season with the team.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    While this is true, the Senators would then be paying Zack Smith AND Mark Letestu which is not cheaper at all.
    Well they will need to pay someone to fill that spot. They can probably get Letestu for league minimum.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

This move has alienated both the team and the fans further. Should do wonders for attendance and players wanted to waiver their NTC/NMC to come to Ottawa! Well done Melnyk, well done.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports All-Star

I guess this will help expedite Melnyk's moving the team. His plan is coming into fruition.

This from December.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-disaster-yes/

Would Melnyk, who now resides in the Barbados, actually consider moving the Senators?

?If it becomes a disaster, yes. If you start not seeing crowds showing up, yes,? he said. ?But, for now, we are on the cusp of doing OK.?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Bahahahaha... what a joke of a franchise. And this coming from a long suffering Leaf fan.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Are we watching Moneyball or Major League?

Ottawa making the decision not to keep this year's 1st round pick has to be one of the most disastrous management decisions in the modern era of any sports.
    The Senators team that made the Conference Finals are the Indians from that movie. While the Inidans inthe movie franchise didn't move, the Senators aren't through trying.

More importantly, I see no chance that having a life size mockup of Melnyk where the team strips off pieces of clothing will help. At all.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

When are Spezza Heatley and Alfredsson coming back?? Wade Redden anyone??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..