Thread: Sergachev vs. Makar

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Sergachev vs. Makar

Dynasty cap league (sig) - someone offered me their Makar for my Sergachev.

I like them both. Of course Sergy had a great year and is on a great team. Can he do it again? Makar is less proven but everyone was talking about him being the next great thing and not Sergy so much. Who do you like long-term?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Sergachev vs. Makar

Sergachev and it's not even close.

Makar has similar upside but you'd be acquiring a ton of risk with no reward.

Dobber Sports Deity

It's hard to compare someone already doing it in the show vs someone doing it in College hockey. I don't think you will find many who will recommend Makar over Sergachev simply based on this aspect.

Once Makar gets to the NHL and proves himself, then this trade would make sense but until that happens, I would hold Sergachev here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Sergachev already has a 40-point season in the NHL, and he's got the size, speed, and skill to thrive for a long time. He already showed during the playoffs that he's ready for an increased role and more ice-time. I think we should expect him to handle it reasonably well. Both guys are currently stuck as second fiddle long-term for PP1 minutes behind Hedman and Barrie, respectively.

But as Axe said, the difference here is that Sergachev is already established, and he is likely moving into an increased role this coming season. Makar has yet to even make a splash. You have to keep Sergachev here, and it's not a particularly close trade right now.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Sergachev and it's not even close.

Makar has similar upside but you'd be acquiring a ton of risk with no reward.
    This. Also Conor Timmins and Sam Girard are in the mix for the Avs as well. Keep Sergachev.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for talking me down, all. I do have a fascination with prospects, and Makar has been at or near the top of the Defensemen pile for a while. He's a guy I've followed for a couple years, and thought maybe Sergy was fluky good instead of actually good.

I gave rep to all, but wouldn't let me rep mounD (told me I had to spread the rep around??), sorry mounD!

Dobber Sports Pro

It depends how a gambler you are. Makar is going to be amazing but you got a 19 years old D who just hit 40 pts as a rookie! That’s really hard to beat.
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Administrator

I'd say the upsides here are roughly the same, however Sergachev gives you a ton more certainty. He's already been a good NHL producer and he's in a great environment to continue having success. He wins by default here.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd say the upsides here are roughly the same, however Sergachev gives you a ton more certainty. He's already been a good NHL producer and he's in a great environment to continue having success. He wins by default here.
    I would not say the upside is the same or even close. Makar has a far greater upside IMO, but yes, if you are averse to taking risks and are looking for more points this year for sure obviously and likely next year you should definitely go Sergachev. Makar's floor is 40 pts in first full season IMO and will only increase significantly each year after that. Sergachev can be a top player, but Makar should be elite.

Dobber Sports Legend

Sergachev without question. At 19 the kid put up 40 on a Hedman-led Bolts club. He's 6-3, 223 and has all the tools. He's only getting better and will be a complete monster.
    Makar, while he has tremendous upside (one of my favorite D prospects), is still playing with kids, while Serge is excelling against the best men in the world.
    Plus ... Barrie, Girard, Timmins, all present some potential roadblocks that could prohibit Makar from instant stardom when he finally makes the show.
    I would never do a 1-for-1 here. The only way I'd trade Sergachev for Makar is if he was coming back with another elite prospect like Q.Hughes, etc.
    If you're dealing Sergachev for a D prospect, the list begins and ends with Dahlin. Period. I wouldn't deal Sergachev for Heiskanen.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    If you're dealing Sergachev for a D prospect, the list begins and ends with Dahlin. Period. I wouldn't deal Sergachev for Heiskanen.
    I'm a huge Heiskanen fan, and I still agree with this.

Some people are overrating Makar in a big way. I wish those people were in my league. I would trade him in a heartbeat to one of those guys.

Dobber Sports Icon

I may be in the minority but I would prefer to own Makar over Sergachev. Sergachev may have put up 40 points last season but it was most front loaded. He had 24 points in the first half and 16 points in the 2nd half. He also only had 5 points in 17 playoff games. Sergachev will not be any more than the 3rd best defenseman in Tampa Bay for the next 5+ years assuming Stralman does not stay in TB.

Makar has the potential to be the #2 dman in Colorado as soon as next season.

Even though I prefer Makar in the long run, I would not trade Sergachev straight up for Makar. This may not make sense but Sergachev's value should be much higher than Makar since Sergachev should have about 30 more points than Makar does this season and that has to be worth something.