Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nolan Patrick or Ryan Getzlaf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Nolan Patrick or Ryan Getzlaf

I always opt to get younger when possible.only one team wins every year. I rather maximise my chances over the next decade then go all out for a season or two. I will always opt for elite young keepers and then flesh out the remainder of my roster with the best players available. 2 years ago my team 1 won the championship with an average age of 24 and half years. Last year they finished 2nd overall and out of my 10 skater keepers they average 21.8 years old.

I rather fill my roster with young affordable elite players with pedigree. It allows you cap flexibility for the rest of your line up. Which balances your team out. You have to carefully manage your deployment tho.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Glenmerry gangsters View Post
    I always opt to get younger when possible.only one team wins every year. I rather maximise my chances over the next decade then go all out for a season or two. I will always opt for elite young keepers and then flesh out the remainder of my roster with the best players available. 2 years ago my team 1 won the championship with an average age of 24 and half years. Last year they finished 2nd overall and out of my 10 skater keepers they average 21.8 years old.

I rather fill my roster with young affordable elite players with pedigree. It allows you cap flexibility for the rest of your line up. Which balances your team out. You have to carefully manage your deployment tho.
    ...so Patrick then?
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yeah definately Patrick.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I?m not sure patrick?s Upside is even a 33 year old getzlaf frankly

But man are people here fickle. Even 2 years ago the majority here thought Getzlaf was finished

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yeah, but how much does Getzlaf have left? 2 years? Unless he gets hurt again. Then Patrick will be better. For a decade or more. I will sacrifice a little now for a lot later. Dynasty means constantly finding young talent to replace those old timers. Guys like Patrick don't grow on trees.
    This is the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    Two guys in very different stages of their careers. Who do you prefer in a dynasty now? Obviously Getz should score more this coming season, but when do you expect the tables to turn?

9-team points-based dynasty league est. 2016. 4C, 8W, 6D and 1G start.
    G=3 , A=2, +/-=1, SOG =0.4, PIM=0.5, PPP=1

Getzlaf should outpoint Patrick, in this format, by a good 40 points. [Numbers based on the Dobber guide projections] Would you agree this is a fair statement, 40 points?

In a 9 team league with these stats, 40 points are the difference between winning and not winning.

Are you playing to win or playing to have shiny new things?

This is the OP's team.

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    C: McDavid, Eichel, Backstrom, Trocheck
    W: Panarin, Ehlers, Boeser, Keller, Pacioretty, E. Kane, Schwartz, Toffoli
    D: Hamilton, Jones, Ekblad, Ekman-Larsson, McAvoy, Pulock
    G: Andersen

Bench/prospects
    Patrick, Steel, Dvorak, Little
    Niederreiter, Oshie, Meier, Yamamoto, Kaprizov
    S. Weber, Klefbom, Morrissey, Jokiharju, Valimaki
    Talbot, Raanta
    This team is stacked and looking to win, and win now.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Getzlaf should outpoint Patrick, in this format, by a good 40 points. [Numbers based on the Dobber guide projections] Would you agree this is a fair statement, 40 points?

In a 9 team league with these stats, 40 points are the difference between winning and not winning.

Are you playing to win or playing to have shiny new things?
    No way Getzlaf outpoints Patrick by 40 points. Like I said, with dynasty, I will almost always lean on youth.

Playing to win or shiny new things - the answer is balance.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    No way Getzlaf outpoints Patrick by 40 points. Like I said, with dynasty, I will almost always lean on youth.

Playing to win or shiny new things - the answer is balance.
    Even with these?

- I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Even with these?

Yep. Getzlaf hasn't scored more than 15 goals and 178 sog in any one year over his last three. I wouldn't want a team full of Patrick's, but in a dynasty, I want to have an eye towards the future.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This one is tough. I think it really comes down to your specific team. If I'm just starting in a brand new keeper league, then Getzlaf is my easy choice because I'm trying to win now.

But then there's an expansion team like mine (not given anywhere near the favourable rules of Vegas, I might add), that's frankly ass right now. Getzlaf would have no value on my team, other than making us a bit less ass.

So for me, this would be an easy choice of Patrick, since his peak is likely to coincide with the rest of my team, and will last the standard <10 years.
    12 Team Keeper League, 28 Player Roster

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, PPA, HT, GHHT
    W, GA, SV, SHO

C: Barkov, Barzal, Dubois, Point
    LW: Fiala, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Svechnikov
    RW: Ehlers, Kyrou,​S. Reinhart, Tomasino
    D: Bouchard, Ekblad, Makar, R. Merkley, Rielly, Theodore
    Bench: K. Johnson, Harley
    Minors: Johnston, McTavish, Clarke
    G: Saros, Thompson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Easy choice for me:

Getz if you want to win next year. Patrick if you want to build for future.

Title/money now is always > A chance later - especially with a player with a non-determined floor/ceiling.

Next, not sure what you mean by the scarcity factor - there?s always a player about to pop and new shiny things every season. Ex. Pastrnak, Boeser etc. Generational guys like Crosby, McD, Karlsson- I agree are not the same obviously - but Patrick is not generational. Patrick isn?t even a first PP or Line 1 player. Getz is a guaranteed 70+ pt guy for the next few years and as a playmaker, you can write that in stone unless he?s injured.

Everyone writes off these older players but the great ones continue to produce into their late 30s. Zetterburg and Thornton are old AF - Z had 68 pts on a bad wings team in his 36th year and Joe T 63 in year 37. There?s no promise Patrick ever outpoints that in any season. That could be his ceiling. But I guarantee Getz has at least 3 more left with a 60 pt floor
    League: H2H - Keep 15
    Managers: 12
    Rosters: 25 (4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN)

Scoring Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, BLK, HIT, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

Projected Keepers in Bold (Rebuild)
    C: Bedard, Cozens, Zegras, Lundell, B. Hayton, A. Cirelli, JG Pageau
    LW: Svechnikov, Raymond, Byfield, Laine, D. Voronkov, A. Henrique
    RW: Caufield, Jarvis, Perfetti, Marchenko, J. Quinn, K. Kakko
    D: Seider, Bouchard, L. Hughes, Sanderson, Korchinski, Romanov
    G: Demko, Kochetkov, Thompson, Askarov

Championships: 2016, 2018, 2019

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Easy choice for me:

Title/money now is always > A chance later - especially with a player with a non-determined floor/ceiling.

Next, not sure what you mean by the scarcity factor - there?s always a player about to pop and new shiny things every season. Ex. Pastrnak, Boeser etc. Generational guys like Crosby, McD, Karlsson- I agree are not the same obviously - but Patrick is not generational. Patrick isn?t even a first PP or Line 1 player. Getz is a guaranteed 70+ pt guy for the next few years and as a playmaker, you can write that in stone unless he?s injured.

Everyone writes off these older players but the great ones continue to produce into their late 30s. Zetterburg and Thornton are old AF - Z had 68 pts on a bad wings team in his 36th year and Joe T 63 in year 37. There?s no promise Patrick ever outpoints that in any season. That could be his ceiling. But I guarantee Getz has at least 3 more left with a 60 pt floor
    Second overall, chance to be top six, PP1 for a decade. Sure guys come available all the time, but they can be hard to snag depending on how much time you can dedicate to watching who's doing what and then striking at the right time (and having a player to drop).

For me, the decision would boil down to my team overall. Am I in contention for a title? Then the answer is easier, you roll with Getzlaf. If it's a cap league, you might think about the younger player as well as value an important factor. Otherwise, if you team is meh, middle of the road, I'd be leaning towards Patrick and building my core.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Easy choice for me:

Just wanted to point out that Patrick was on the 1st PP for the second half of the season. It remains to be seen if he stays there if Simmonds is healthy going into next year or JVR may even take that net front role too.

I personally would lean toward Getzlaf, I think he still has 3-4 good years left in him but I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing Patrick since I think he can be a constant 60+ player quite soon as well.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great discussion!

The situation is evolving a bit. We have big discussions on a 3-way deal that would see me ship off Patrick + some other prospects, Yamamoto/Valimaki, but receiving both Getzlaf and Robert Thomas.

How big of a difference do you see there is in Patrick`s and Thomas` value?
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Master

as a few already stated ; if your team is youngish and a bit more ready to compete in a few years as opposed to right now I'd take my chances with Patrick becoming a 70 point player by then while Getz starts to decline .We cant predict the future but I find Patrick is being a bit undervalued in some leagues that I participate in .