Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with the 1st overall

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default What do I do with the 1st overall

Hi guys,
    I won the lottery on a keeper (pts only, not the one in sig, the one below). What should I do with it?

My team is young and middle of the pack :
    Pastrnak, Scheifele, Granlund (Min), Carter, Niederreiter, Galchenyuk, Arvidsson, Jenner, Burakovsky, Reinhart, Tolvanen, Zacha, Barzal, DeBrincat
    Keith, Leddy, Ristolanen, Rielly (Tor), Klefbom, Montour, Brannstrom, DeAngelo, Makar
    Allen, Murray, Demko, Shesterkin
    Picks 2018 : 1, 11, 15, 22, 27, 39, 51, 63, 75

1) Draft Dahlin and wait -- (he'll be a 60pts ou a 75pts d-man?)

2) Draft Elias Petterson -- (yes, he's still available ...)

3) Trade 1st vs 4th overall + ROR + Palmieri -- (No Dahlin, no Petterson, I pick who?? Zadina or Borgstrom??)

4) Trade 1st + Sam Reinhart vs 10th + 34th + Dumba + Pulock -- (this one is probably tweakable, I would prefer keep Reinhart ...)

Your opinion? Thanks !
    10 teams keeper, keep 23, draft 5
    Weekly lineup (10FW, 5D, 2G) with NHL salary cap
    Goal (1pt); Assist (1); Win (2); SO (1)

FW : J.Tavares, M.Stone, S.Aho, C.Giroux, E.Kuznetsov, V.Tarasenko, M.Tkachuk, B.Marchand, T.Meier, J.Huberdeau, M.Hoffman, N. Gusev, E. Staal, H.Borgstrom, V.Kravtsov, J.Veleno, E.Tolvanen, C.Keller, M.Barzal, J.Roberston, A.DeBrincat, V.Podkolzin, G.Denisenko, A.Kaliyev

D : K.Yandle, S.Theodore, M.Rielly, O.Klefbom, R.Josi, R.Pulock, J.Walman, H.Jokiharju, C.Makar, N.Hagues

G : MA.Fleury, J.Gibson, C.Hellebuyk, E.Merzlikins, F.Gustavson, I.Sorokin

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: What do I do with the 1st overall

If those are your only options I would keep the pick.. Have you made it knowm that you are taking offers on the 1st overall pick?? How many teams in this league??
    You need help between the pipes!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Keep the pick and take Petterson.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd offer it out to the league and see if you get any more bites.

Keeping the pick is fine, but possibly sub-optimal, as it has bust risk. Moving down to 2 is great if you can do it and get something extra if you are truly neutral between 2 options. You might get an offer to move up, or you might be able to pull that off by dropping to 4, and then moving up to 2.

I do somewhat like the offer to get the #4 pick, as you'd get a very good prospect, plus players.

What is your roster size, including any minors? How many open roster spots do you have? How many do you start at each spot?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Pettersson is available, I'd try to trade down to #3 and pick whoever is left between Svechnikov, Dahlin and Pettersson. But only if the offer is good enough - don't trade down just for fun.

Dobber Sports Ace

This would totally depend on the setup. As others have asked : how many roster spots etc. Being a points only keeper is there any weighting for D?
    Knowing more would get a better answer here Imo. ..without the info I like JP's advice. I'd take petterson here but I think you can get a pick thrown in etc.

Dobber Sports Deity

I have lots of questions for you before giving advice.

How many teams in your league?

How many do you start at each position?

You say it's points only but is it a H2H league or just a total actual points?

How do goalies get points? This is your weakest position from what I can see and if you plan on trading the pick, I'd be focusing on this.

How many do you actually roster? Some of your trades see you dealing the pick out and bringing in a bunch of players/picks back in. Does that force you to drop multiple players to make room for the others should you consider trading the pick?

Do you have a minors system or just everyone goes on your roster?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Sorry, I totally forgot to explain the setup.
    12 teams keeper, keep 23 1way, illimited 2way, draft 7
    Goal (1pt); Assist (1); RegWin (2); OT/SO Win (1);

So I've actually no roster space problem and no cap problem.

The minute I've won the lottery, I've made it clear that the 1st overall was available.
    The 3rd option is a limited offer because he's trading Palmieri to another GM. The draft is in september so I'm not in a hurry.
    Yes my goalies are so-so but it cost an arm to get goalies in this league and they are the position who give less point.

It's the same guy who have the 3rd and 4th and he made it clear I won't get the 3rd cause he really want Pettersson.

I'm waiting for an offer of the 5th.

My best case scenario would be to drop 2nd and the Pettersson or Dahlin + an asset.

FW : J.Tavares, M.Stone, S.Aho, C.Giroux, E.Kuznetsov, V.Tarasenko, M.Tkachuk, B.Marchand, T.Meier, J.Huberdeau, M.Hoffman, N. Gusev, E. Staal, H.Borgstrom, V.Kravtsov, J.Veleno, E.Tolvanen, C.Keller, M.Barzal, J.Roberston, A.DeBrincat, V.Podkolzin, G.Denisenko, A.Kaliyev

D : K.Yandle, S.Theodore, M.Rielly, O.Klefbom, R.Josi, R.Pulock, J.Walman, H.Jokiharju, C.Makar, N.Hagues

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by guinan13 View Post
    Sorry, I totally forgot to explain the setup.
    12 teams keeper, keep 23, draft 7

The minute I've won the lottery, I've made it clear that the 1st overall was available.
    The 3rd option is a limited offer because he's trading Palmieri to another GM. The draft is in september so I'm not in a hurry.
    Yes my goalies are so-so but it cost an arm to get goalies in this league.

It's the same guy who have the 3rd and 4th and he made it clear I won't get the 3rd cause he really want Pettersson.

I'm waiting for an offer of the 5th.

My best case scenario would be to drop 2nd and the Pettersson or Dahlin + an asset.
    I'd keep the pick and draft Petterson.

I would at the very least use this info to my advantage vs the other GM. ROR is not a good option in a points only, salary cap setup. He's a 55-60 type guy making way too much money for that little production. You'd need better value players in a cap league if you are going to do this. Not only are you giving him a better player but you are helping his cap situation by taking on a dump in ROR. Make him pay for that.

I'd tell the other GM, if he wants 1st overall, and keep his 3rd overall, he would have to make a much better trade for you along with the 4th overall then someone like ROR and Palmeiri. If he isn't willing, take Pettersson.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by guinan13 View Post

It's the same guy who have the 3rd and 4th and he made it clear I won't get the 3rd cause he really want Pettersson
    I would then tell him >> "Sorry, you aren't getting 1st overall because I plan on taking Pettersson"
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Superstar

Tell the guy who has the 3rd & 4th pick that you are drafting Petterson first and ask what he will offer for him then - he has huge upside. See if he will give you the 3rd. Dahlin may fall to 3rd or 4th here. Pts only may be a few years before Dahlin is relevant (50+ pts). getting ROR + is a benefit for you, but I would ask for 3 & 4 and throw in a 2nd rounder.
    If he won't bite I'm taking Petterson with #1 in pts only - going to be feeding BB for years, think Backstrom and Ovi
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks everyone.
    I'll hold on my pick for now and I'll try to drop second if possible (pick the remaining of Dahlin or Pettersson, I'm ok with it !)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just catching this thread.
    Points only leagues with 10F/5D, its all about relative difference.

With 10 teams, you've got 100F in play. What did the #100 NHL F score last year? Call that "Waiver Wire F Value".
    With 10 teams, you've got 50D in play. What did the #50 NHL D score last year? Call that "Waiver Wire D Value".

Then, you need to try to forecast your pick options:
    1. What does an F score (Petersson, Svechnikov)?
    2. What does a D score (Dahlin)?

You draft the guy with the greatest relative difference between him and waiver level at that position.

For me, I'd expect Dahlin to be near 75pts once BUF starts humming with Eichel & crew.
    I think your waiver wire D at #50 is somewhere around... 30pts?

I see Petersson as perhaps a 85pt forward.
    I think your waiver wire F at #100 is somewhere around... 45pts?

That makes Dahlin +45 and Petersson +40.
    But you'd have to go through this exercise yourself to really know who pans out higher.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If Pettersson is available, I'd try to trade down to #3 and pick whoever is left between Svechnikov, Dahlin and Pettersson. But only if the offer is good enough - don't trade down just for fun.
    I would do this too
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

The Great One

If the guy really wants Peterssen, trade 1st for 3rd (and a nice haul, but not ROR) with a condition that you won't draft Peterssen. Then you can take whoever is there between Dahlin and Svech, and the guy with the 4th pick can still think he has a shot at him.

Also, I will ask the obvious question: why is Petersson still available?