Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Kadri will be used as the top shutdown libe freeing up Matthews or Tavares to play the other teams third line.
    This #1C vs #2C vs #3C is such a moot point.
    Deploying Kadri as the shut-down center:
    1. Only works at home, where line-matching can be done, and
    2. Doesn't fully solve the Leafs defensive woes.

Defensively, the Leafs may have to let both Gardiner & Hainsey walk next summer, because they'll need funds to pay their RFAs (Matthews, Marner, Leivo, and Kapanen!!! Four of them!!!).
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

As soon as that happens, the Leafs D is even worse.

The Leafs are a poor defensive team right now... and could be even worse in 2019-2020.
    SOME asset is going to have to be moved to get a decent-tagged defenseman, because they won't be able to AFFORD anybody as a 2019 UFA D.

***This is a very, very, very similar situation to the Oilers... who royally fugged themselves by overstocking forwards and feeling ransomed to get decent D.***

Hence, the Leafs will eventually (within 1.2 years) have to move SOME asset to improve their D.
    I see one or two options for the Leafs: Kadri & Nylander.
    And Kadri is, by far, the more valuable NHL asset as a C2-type player with a really nice cap hit for several year (4 years, thru 2022!).

My post (about TRADING Kadri) wasn't at all about deploying Kadri as C3.
    It's about the Leafs defensive problems which are more likely to get worse... than better.
    Kadri is simply the Leafs most expendable, quality asset in order to improve their defense.

Dobber Sports Titan

I just sobered up enough to to read some of this.

Honestly this is insane.

Back to my bender.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Deploying Kadri as the shut-down center:
    1. Only works at home, where line-matching can be done, and
    2. Doesn't fully solve the Leafs defensive woes.

Defensively, the Leafs may have to let both Gardiner & Hainsey walk next summer, because they'll need funds to pay their RFAs (Matthews, Marner, Leivo, and Kapanen!!! Four of them!!!).
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

As soon as that happens, the Leafs D is even worse.

The Leafs are a poor defensive team right now... and could be even worse in 2019-2020.
    SOME asset is going to have to be moved to get a decent-tagged defenseman, because they won't be able to AFFORD anybody as a 2019 UFA D.

***This is a very, very, very similar situation to the Oilers... who royally fugged themselves by overstocking forwards and feeling ransomed to get decent D.***

Hence, the Leafs will eventually (within 1.2 years) have to move SOME asset to improve their D.
    I see one or two options for the Leafs: Kadri & Nylander.
    And Kadri is, by far, the more valuable NHL asset as a C2-type player with a really nice cap hit for several year (4 years, thru 2022!).

My post (about TRADING Kadri) wasn't at all about deploying Kadri as C3.
    It's about the Leafs defensive problems which are more likely to get worse... than better.
    Kadri is simply the Leafs most expendable, quality asset in order to improve their defense.
    Defensively I agree. They need some improvement.

But I think Kadri even on road games still lets Matthews or JT unit line up against the other teams third line which is huge. Trading Kadri doesn't give you that mismatch every shift.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

A couple buddies of mine were speculating...

Do you think Tavares knew all along that he was going to Toronto and was just trying to do it in a way that kept his image as positive as possible?

By making it look like he really was courting offers from other teams and taking time to make the decision?

Administrator

If that was the goal I think he missed the mark

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Someone at my work told me he heard Tavares fiancee took a job position in Toronto like a month ago. So I wonder if she knew something a while ago, or if it was just a summer job. I think he said it was a nurse position? Anyways, I bet a ton of small reports/rumours/lies like this will pop up in the next week and a bit.

Apparently Tavares (he said this in an interview) was still debating on June 30th if he was going to return to the NYI or go to Toronto, and late Saturday decided on Toronto and called both teams to tell them his decision. So at least both teams going into July 1st knew what he was doing and weren't handcuffed by him waiting on his decision. Thus why guys like Bozak, Ryan, JvR and Pleks got signed pretty quickly

Dobber Sports Ninja

I bet he knew all along he wanted to go back to Toronto, and that whole week long beauty pageant spectacle was window dressing to protect his image (didn't want to end up a villain like KD haha).

His rationale was all about coming home and playing for the team he grew up idolizing. He talked with so much passion about the pieces the Leafs have today and their window over the next 5 years. You don't suddenly come to that realization through a 2 hr meeting lol... these are very deeply ingrained thoughts and feelings.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Well damn. Congrats Toronto. Even though I can't stand the majority of your fans on these boards, that is going to be a damn good and entertaining team. Well done.
    just read this... how can you say you don't like me?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Someone at my work told me he heard Tavares fiancee took a job position in Toronto like a month ago. So I wonder if she knew something a while ago, or if it was just a summer job. I think he said it was a nurse position? Anyways, I bet a ton of small reports/rumours/lies like this will pop up in the next week and a bit.

Apparently Tavares (he said this in an interview) was still debating on June 30th if he was going to return to the NYI or go to Toronto, and late Saturday decided on Toronto and called both teams to tell them his decision. So at least both teams going into July 1st knew what he was doing and weren't handcuffed by him waiting on his decision. Thus why guys like Bozak, Ryan, JvR and Pleks got signed pretty quickly
    She would need a specific licence approved in Ontario. Coming from NY - there's an application process to apply & potentially an exam out of country. Even in Canada - you need to apply to transfer nursing licences province to province. So it's either a true indication of his intentions.. or a falsified story.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    She would need a specific licence approved in Ontario. Coming from NY - there's an application process to apply & potentially an exam out of country. Even in Canada - you need to apply to transfer nursing licences province to province. So it's either a true indication of his intentions.. or a falsified story.
    She's from Mississauga or Oakville and could have worked in Ontario before. She graduated from Western with a masters in Rehabilitation Therapy & Physiotherapy, so the "applying as a nurse" could be mis-heard from the guy I work with. I don't know how long they've been dating, but she was with him in Sochi for the 2014 Olympics. Could be together since he played for the Knights meaning they could have met in London (Western U is in London).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

She's from Mississauga or Oakville and could have worked in Ontario before. She graduated from Western with a masters in Rehabilitation Therapy & Physiotherapy, so the "applying as a nurse" could be mis-heard from the guy I work with. I don't know how long they've been dating, but she was with him in Sochi for the 2014 Olympics. Could be together since he played for the Knights meaning they could have met in London (Western U is in London).
    You know an awful lot about some other dude's finance.

but he's right (see how I deflected above)? lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    A couple buddies of mine were speculating...

Do you think Tavares knew all along that he was going to Toronto and was just trying to do it in a way that kept his image as positive as possible?

By making it look like he really was courting offers from other teams and taking time to make the decision?
    Yes, I think this is very much a possibility.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    You know an awful lot about some other dude's finance.

but he's right (see how I deflected above)? lol
    I searched her name and then it came up as the "girlfriend of hockey players" webpages. It's kinda creepy how in depth they can be...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I searched her name and then it came up as the "girlfriend of hockey players" webpages. It's kinda creepy how in depth they can be...
    I’m just kidding around OG. I searched the very same info. I also heard that she wants nothing to do with “today’s Trumped up USA”. So that would have worked in TO’s favor aswell.

Really, I couldn’t care less if he postured himself in this process. It as HIS process and he damn well earned it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I’m just kidding around OG. I searched the very same info. I also heard that she wants nothing to do with “today’s Trumped up USA”. So that would have worked in TO’s favor aswell.

Really, I couldn’t care less if he postured himself in this process. It as HIS process and he damn well earned it.
    It seriously is pretty creepy though eh. And this info was out there when he was on NYI, watch it explode now that he's a Leaf. Did you know in the summer she likes to lay outside and drinks out of her left hand, but in the winter she likes to sit legs on her side under a plaid blanket grasping her loose leaf tea mug with both hands while in a nice knit sweater?