Thread: Barzel for Ehlers/svechnikov?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Barzel for Ehlers/svechnikov?

I am in a keeper league (points only) where we only get to keep 10 players at seasons end. So far my roster is:

Forwards: Ovi, Stamkos, Taveres, Rantenen, Ehlers, Kessel, Bailey
    Defense: Leddy, Carlson, Letang

I have the 2nd overall draft pick which I would use to draft upcoming NHLer Svechnikov. I have a trade offer of Matthew Barzel in exchange for the 2nd overall pick, Ehlers, and a 2019 1st.

Is it worth it for the star Barzel? What if svechnikov turns out to be a superstar like Barzel? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Barzel for Ehlers/svechnikov?

The deal breaker is the 2019 1st for me.
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

first, welcome to the forums! Barzal is 21, you'd be trading the (soon to be) rookie of the year with an 85pt season with the hopes Svech will reach his level.

In a keep 10, you want the highest end players possible. I keep Barzal as tempting as the offer appears. Bird in hand.

interesting note - Ehlers is listed as one of your keepers - typo? Also why no goalies? Would think one G over Leddy would be an option? or are they that bad?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

I would be acquiring Barzel though in this potential deal? I decided to drop all 3 goalies this offseason with the hope of loading up on offensive talent. The top tier goalies in my league are already gone. I got Leddy in a deal to acquire Rantenen.

Dobber Sports Jedi

My bad.. I would definitely counter to see if you can remove the '19 1st, slide it to a 2nd maybe? Who were your goalies?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

The other GM is selling high on Barzal and trying to cash in. IMO Barzel absolutely hit his ceiling this year and I'm not convinced he can duplicate it, so biding your time and sitting on Ehlers, Svech, and that 2019 1st is the best way to go for points only. Those are 3 big assets for a Barzel that could end up settling into 65-75pt seasons. If he scores 80+ next year then I'll eat my perverbial hat.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think that's a fair offer and I would take Barzal. Having said that, doesn't hurt to try to negotiate and keep the 2019 pick.

Dobber Sports Novice

I had Bishop, Lundquist, and Greiss. I took I would take my chances on my worst forward getting more points then them.

Dobber Sports Novice

And should I be concerned if Tavares leaves? That's a lot of responsibility for Barzel and added defensive pressure against him as the top guy. If I know Barzel continues this pace, then I think I like it because he is the biggest name. But Barzel had 3 games where he had 5 pts. Take those away and not as good of a season points wise.

Dobber Sports Deity

Too rich for my liking. Ehlers and one of those picks maybe but not both.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Too rich for my liking. Ehlers and one of those picks maybe but not both.
    I agree with this thinking.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

No way I do this trade unless its just offered ehlers and 2nd overall even then I'm hesitant unless Tavares resigns. I would wait till you see what happens with Tavares. Ehlers is not the greatest but I believe he had a sub year he will bounce back some and the Russian kid could be your next ovechkin. Myself I would pass on this and make it sweeter cause getting the second overall pick doesn't come around every year...hopefully LOL!
    Strictly points League (Goalies 2 for win extra one for shutout) (22 Keepers)
    Keeper league
    Roster:
    Frowards: Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson, Matt Duchene, Mike Hoffman, Nico Hischier, Anthony Mantha, Alex Killorn, Jonathan Drouin, Bo Horvat, Chris Kreider, Richard Panik ,

Charles Hudon

Goalies : Brian Elliott,Cory Schneider, Robin Lehner, Malcolm Subban

Defense : Ryan Ellis, Jaccob Slavin, Dion Phaneuf, Damon Severson, Jan Rutta, Derek Forbort, Shea Theodore, Arron Ekblad, Shayne Gothisbere