Thread: Farm System (Keeper League)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Farm System (Keeper League)

How do you set one up? Just add a farm component and do a rookie draft? What rules seem to work about player eligibility in a farm league?

We just finished our first year. 12 team league, keep 7. Never had a farm system before, I think it'd be awesome.

any tips would be mucho appreciated

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Farm System (Keeper League)

Fantrax is the only platform I've used with a minors systems and it's fantastic. Tons of options to meet all you'd want in a farm team setup. The format I've liked the best is any unowned player with less than 60gp is eligible for the farm draft. Some leagues use 0 games others 82, 20, 40, you get the point. Really it's up to you and your league to decide. As for farm eligibility I've seen 100gp as the cutoff, age, 200gp, etc, again you get the point. I'm sure you'll get a lot better advice from others on the ins and outs. I'd also suggest cruising the classifieds to see other leagues rules and how they run their farms and drafts. Farm teams are a great addition to the fantasy hockey experience and I wouldn't join a league without one. Enjoy!
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Farm System (Keeper League)

Farm/minors are an integral part of fantasy hockey. So much thrill and joy in one of those guys you rolled the dice/did your homework on seasons ago gunning it for a spot on your roster you have meticulously crafted. You could set a limit of games played or not, and treat it as a farm/minors type deal, where only prospects and those who pass through waivers and are sent down in the NHL can be eligible for your minors.

I will always advocate for fantrax (it is superior to the other platforms, as it be), but I remember using officepools and simply having the farm squad on the board/forum and your pro roster accumulating points via officepools. Rules set for callups and sending players down, et al.

If you want to start, have an Entry draft and set the rules for eligibility. 12 teams is intensely shallow (not that there's anything wrong with that) so I'm sure you'll have your hands full determining rules for eligibility and plenty of great prospects to choose from.

Start small and amend with the rest of your league mates as the seasons pass, so everyone is on an even keel.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES