Thread: Help me decide who to keep

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Help me decide who to keep

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to decide who to keep between these three players:
    Buchnevich
    Kaprizov
    Chytil

It's a goal heavy multi-cat keeper league. I've won the last two seasons and should win next year as well, so I'm looking to keep the one out of those three with the highest upside, even if it might take a few years. See team in sig.

Thanks! Will ofc rep
    8 team keeper league, scoring cats F/D: G, A, PPG, PPP, SHG, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hit, Blk, FW/FL. G: GS, W, GA, SV, SHO

Pittsburgh Top Cats
    F: Malkin, Crosby, Eichel, McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Robertson, A. Svechnikov, Zibanejad, Kaprizov, Fiala, Keller, Thompson, Bedard, Cozens, Cooley
    D: Letang, Dobson, Hamilton, Makar, D. Toews, Sanderson, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Andersen, Kuemper

Farm:
    F: ​Quinn, Nazar, Firkus, Fantilli, Benson, Donato, Dumais, Guenther, Lardis, Nichushkin, J. Perron, C. Ritchie, Yager, Ziemmer, But
    D: L. Hughes, Addison, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Nikishin, S. Morrow, Nelson, Brzustewicz
    G: Raanta, Hofer, Korpisalo

The Great One

Default Re: Help me decide who to keep

I believe Kaprizov has the highest upside (but also the highest risk since we don't know for sure that he'll cross the pond).

And your team is completely ridiculous lol. How many teams are in this league?

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I believe Kaprizov has the highest upside (but also the highest risk since we don't know for sure that he'll cross the pond).

And your team is completely ridiculous lol. How many teams are in this league?
    Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too - which makes it even harder. Who do you prefer between Buch and Chytil?

Hehe thanks! My forwards are really stacked, my D and G aren't as good but good enough to let my forwards destroy the competition. It's a seven team league, next season will be our sixth season and I've won three of five years so far.

The Great One

I think Buch and Chytil are close, but if I had to pick based solely on upside I'd go with Buch. (One thing I don't know is how your farm system works). Is there any risk you'd have to cut Buch soon (i.e., he loses minor's eligibility)?

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I think Buch and Chytil are close, but if I had to pick based solely on upside I'd go with Buch. (One thing I don't know is how your farm system works). Is there any risk you'd have to cut Buch soon (i.e., he loses minor's eligibility)?
    Thanks! I also lean towards Buch, mainly because I think he could be a better goal scorer (if he starts to use his great shot more). We have more of a NHL/AHL setup, so it doesn't matter how old or how many games the players on the farm team have played, you can keep players there as long as you like.

The Great One

I think my final cut would be between Eichel and Kane (both had nasty +/-'s). Kane is maybe better for a year or two, but he's 10 years older and Chicago is trending the wrong way. I'd like to think the Sabres have hit rock bottom, but they are the Sabres. I go Kane if I'm only thinking of winning next year. Otherwise, I go with Eichel. Sorry, wishy-washy is the best I can do on this one.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Buchnevich for me.

Kaprizov is way too high risk to keep over a promising option already IN the NHL. Chytil is a reasonable option, but I want the safest option here, as you really don't need to take a risk due to rebuilding or anything.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Based strictly on high-end potential, Kaprizov is the easy choice for me. I think he has superstar potential, similar to someone like Kuznetsov. In fact, their situations are very similar, in that many people wanted Kuznetsov to come over to the NHL sooner than he did.

I think eventually Kaprizov will get here, and when he does he will be given every opportunity to succeed on a team that really needs some scoring. We are talking top line minutes and top power play unit.

I also quite like Buchnevich, but if all you really care about is long-term upside, I'd go with Kaprizov, knowing the risk that he won't get here for two years.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Based strictly on high-end potential, Kaprizov is the easy choice for me. I think he has superstar potential, similar to someone like Kuznetsov. In fact, there situations are very similar, in that many people wanted Kuznetsov to come over to the NHL sooner than he did.

I think eventually Kaprizov will get here, and when he does he will be given every opportunity to succeed on a team that really needs some scoring. We are talking top line minutes and top power play unit.

I also quite like Buchnevich, but if all you really care about is long-term upside, I'd go with Kaprizov, knowing the risk that he won't get here for two years.
    This, there are tiers between these players upside. And Kaprizov is above both. He has been a scoring leader at basically every world tournament he has played in. pt/gm in KHL. Minnesota has been wining and dining him for the past 12 months, showing him all the love they can to convince him to join them in 2 years when his contract ends. I would not be shocked in the least to see a 75pt season from him in his first full NHL season. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him push above pt/gm in the KHL this upcoming season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Kaprizov has the highest upside , will he ever come over who knows . I think Buch is the guy to keep here although chytil isn't necessarily a bad option as well but personally i think Buch has more upside imo.

Thank you very much guys! My thought process were similar to most of yours, and solidified my thought process of trying to swing a deal to keep both Buch and Kaprizov. Rep all around

I ended up trading Chytil to another owner, by doing that he will keep Buchnevich for me as one of his keepers. So I'm keeping Kaprizov and Buchnevich while "giving" Chytil away instead of dropping him later on.