Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with keepers.. first time poster

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Help with keepers.. first time poster

Hi all,

Long time lurker in the forums, let me know if there is a better place to post this question...

As I said I'm having a bit of trouble with my keepers. Currently I am at 28 players (2 on IR - Schwartz and Chychrun) but need to get down to at least 26 before August. The reason I say atleast 26 is because looking at my farm I am not so sure that some of the guys (Chabot, Chychrun, Yamamoto) will be able to make it down without being claimed.

If they are claimed, I have the option to match, but then I must roster them on my main team for the entirety of the season (its to prevent good teams from also stacking their farm with fantasy relevant rookies and youth). So, I am wondering if there are any obvious drops to you folks that I'm not seeing due to manager bias etc.?

Also, if you see any guys on my main roster that I should try and send through waivers to the farm instead of the current 6 guys I'm sending, feel free to chime in.. appreciate it.

Details for my team should be in signature below if enabled correct (fingers crossed)
    10T H2H Weekly-20 man keep + farm
    Scoring: G(3), A(2), PPP/SHP(+1), GWG(+1Pt), SOG(0.2), Blk(0.2), Hit(0.1)
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Roster Size: 20 man main/6 man farm(player<24yr+waivers at beginning of each season)
    Main Roster:
    F(15): Arvidsson, Barzal, Dubois, Ehlers, Marner, Sprong, Palmieri, Point, Larkin, Matthews, Tuch, Hischier, Eberle, Forsberg, Keller
    D(5): Ekblad, Mcavoy, Dumba, Sergachev, Theodore
    G(4): Hutton, Jones, Crawford, Murray

Farm Roster:
    F(2): Jordan Kyrou, Kailer Yamamoto,
    D(4): Thomas Chabot, Juuso Valimaki, Sam Steel, Jakub Chychrun

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Help with keepers.. first time poster

I would have no troubles unloading two of Dumba, Palmy or ROR.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

The Great One

I don't really understand your rules. But I'll ask the obvious - are you allowed to trade in the off-season? You have a glut of really good young pieces, but a lot of question marks in goal. I think an upgrade in net makes total sense.

IMO - Chabot, Chychurn and Yomomato stand a very good chance of being claimed. Given your depth and youth, I'd definitely try to trade your way out of things.

If you can't, at F I would rank ROR, Tuch and Palmieri as least valuable. And I'm not sure what goalies look like in your league, but man....burning up two spots with Hutton (potentially a back up) and Crawford (will he be healthy) is painful.

PS: welcome to the boards.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I don't really understand your rules. But I'll ask the obvious - are you allowed to trade in the off-season? You have a glut of really good young pieces, but a lot of question marks in goal. I think an upgrade in net makes total sense.

IMO - Chabot, Chychurn and Yomomato stand a very good chance of being claimed. Given your depth and youth, I'd definitely try to trade your way out of things.

If you can't, at F I would rank ROR, Tuch and Palmieri as least valuable. And I'm not sure what goalies look like in your league, but man....burning up two spots with Hutton (potentially a back up) and Crawford (will he be healthy) is painful.

PS: welcome to the boards.

1. Which part of the rules? I can try to elaborate more but we essentially have a lot of custom rules that aren't even facilitated by Fantrax, we just administer them manually.

2. Yes, trades are permitted at all times throughout the season and offseason.

3. Yes, I have been trying to upgrade at goalie but some guys have 3-4 starters so it is tough. Hutton was a pickup last season when he took the job from Allen temporarily and Crawford was on IR. I normally just run 2 goalies.

4. I agree with your assessment of least valuable forwards, with the exception that I still view Tuch as a futures piece. ROR and Palmieri are deff first on the chopping block. Likely a straight drop, no? Don't see them having much trade value being fringe 55-60pt guys in a 10 team league.
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Roster Size: 20 man main/6 man farm(player<24yr+waivers at beginning of each season)
    Main Roster:
    F(15): Arvidsson, Barzal, Dubois, Ehlers, Marner, Sprong, Palmieri, Point, Larkin, Matthews, Tuch, Hischier, Eberle, Forsberg, Keller

Farm Roster:

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Tbulmz View Post
    4. I agree with your assessment of least valuable forwards, with the exception that I still view Tuch as a futures piece. ROR and Palmieri are deff first on the chopping block. Likely a straight drop, no? Don't see them having much trade value being fringe 55-60pt guys in a 10 team league.
    Here's the thing...will tuch be a 55-60 next year (I doubt it). And will he be more than a 60 point forward long-term. To put it in perspective, last year dobber's prospect report listed tuch's upside as 65 and 3YP as 50. Why hold a future's piece that probably won't be much better than what's on the waiver wire now? (I suppose you could believe he's upside has jumped because of the Vegas thing, not sure I see that though). Alex Tuch is the kind of player I'd be trying to package for a high end goalie prospect, or 2-for-1 upgrade.

Just curious - are you planning to keep all 3 goalies? And have you asked about prices on various starters? I'd be curious to see what it would cost you to target a Samsonvov or Demko, or a more legit starter from a team that has four of them...

Dobber Sports Rookie

Here's the thing...will tuch be a 55-60 next year (I doubt it). And will he be more than a 60 point forward long-term. To put it in perspective, last year dobber's prospect report listed tuch's upside as 65 and 3YP as 50. Why hold a future's piece that probably won't be much better than what's on the waiver wire now? (I suppose you could believe he's upside has jumped because of the Vegas thing, not sure I see that though). Alex Tuch is the kind of player I'd be trying to package for a high end goalie prospect, or 2-for-1 upgrade.

Just curious - are you planning to keep all 3 goalies? And have you asked about prices on various starters? I'd be curious to see what it would cost you to target a Samsonvov or Demko, or a more legit starter from a team that has four of them...
    Tuch - That's true. You are right in that my holding him is mainly vegas-related in that I hope with their team he gets increased opportunity. I hadn't thought about it in your way for some reason, but it is a valid point.

For comparable - one owner asked for Marchessault from another guy in exchange for Murray. Samsonov and Hart are owned by one guy so I could probably acquire one for cheap. Also Sorokin/Shesterkin are on waivers and I was hoping to maybe draft one of them within the farm draft.

As for keeping all 3 goalies, I was currently waiting till July 1 (since I don't have to be roster compliant till August) to see what happens with Hutton (does a team give him a chance at starter a la darling or does he re-up to play behind Allen). If the latter, I plan to just cut him loose as he'd have little value as a backup or 1b at best on STL.
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Main Roster:

Farm Roster:

The Great One

Marchessault for Matt Murray? If that's right, I trade Marchessault all day long to get a top-end goalie. That price doesn't not seem steep to me at all.

I do think you are overvaluing Tuch; based on the Marchessault thing, perhaps your league is overvaluing Vegas in general and it's a good time to sell high on Tuch.

I would target Samsonov first, then Hart....if you can Samsonov for relative cheap, then cut Victor Mete. Having one elite goalie prospect in your system is a good idea, IMO. If the price is too high, I'd look to draft Sorokin (and again, you can drop Mete). There's a lot more risk with Sorokin since who knows if he will come over or if the NYI will find a way to solve their goalie situation in the next year or two without Sorokin.

The more I think about it, the more it's clear to me that your focus should be less on who you should drop and more on can you can parlay some of your multiple assets into a 2-1 upgrade, particularly if you can also hit an area of positional need.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What are your goalie categories? I don't see them listed.

I think shopping Tuch makes sense, as he had a good year, and a good playoffs. Might be able to address some goalie issues that way.

I'd shop the guys you're thinking of cutting, particularly O'Reilly. He is a recognizable name, so that helps.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I would target Samsonov first, then Hart....if you can Samsonov for relative cheap, then cut Victor Mete. Having one elite goalie prospect in your system is a good idea, IMO. If the price is too high, I'd look to draft Sorokin (and again, you can drop Mete). There's a lot more risk with Sorokin since who knows if he will come over or if the NYI will find a way to solve their goalie situation in the next year or two without Sorokin.
    I'd probably be looking at having to give up Arvidsson for someone like Sams/Hart. That feels steep to me, but maybe i'm just being sheepish.
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Main Roster:

Farm Roster:

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    What are your goalie categories? I don't see them listed.

I think shopping Tuch makes sense, as he had a good year, and a good playoffs. Might be able to address some goalie issues that way.

I'd shop the guys you're thinking of cutting, particularly O'Reilly. He is a recognizable name, so that helps.
    Apologies, I forgot to add to signature due to character count. Wins are 3 points, shutouts 2, saves 0.2, goals against are -1.

55-60pts is almost viewed as waiver wire level in our 10 team league it seems, so guys like ROR are a tough sell to managers.
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Main Roster:

Farm Roster:

I'd probably be looking at having to give up Arvidsson for someone like Sams/Hart. That feels steep to me, but maybe i'm just being sheepish.
    I wouldn't do that. There have to be some decent "prospect" goalies floating on waivers - they may not be farm eligible, though. Have you checked the wire for all goalies who are farm eligible that have also played NHL minutes?

I see the issue with O'Reilly. If you view Tuch as not having much upside past what would be near waiver material, now is the time to deal him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hey Steve, just put my head down and laid down some ground work for some deals, the jist of which is as follows:

Trade one sees me get Samsonov and Letang in exchange for Arvidsson. Trade 2 sees me send letang as well as my Crawford for Murray

Thoughts? Others can feel free to chime in.

Dobber Sports Icon

Hey Steve, just put my head down and laid down some ground work for some deals, the jist of which is as follows:

Trade one sees me get Samsonov and Letang in exchange for Arvidsson. Trade 2 sees me send letang as well as my Crawford for Murray

so..Arvid and Crawford for Samsonov and Murray. i dont hate it...not sure if i like it though either...give me some time to chew on it
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

I like trade 1 a lot. Letang is pretty close to Arvidsson in scoring, yet is a defenseman.

I don't like trade 2 as much, but the combination may be good enough to make it work. Murray in your format is an upgrade on Crawford, but unsure if it's worth Letang.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like trade 1 a lot. Letang is pretty close to Arvidsson in scoring, yet is a defenseman.

I don't like trade 2 as much, but the combination may be good enough to make it work. Murray in your format is an upgrade on Crawford, but unsure if it's worth Letang.
    That?s exactly how I feel about it as well. But I feel that I need to have a sure thing in net in addition to samsonov who is a prospect with elite upside. I worry about how much longer Crawford remains in the top 15 or whatever for tendies so the opportunity to parlay him into Murray was enticing. In addition trade 1 results in me losing another roster spot (receive 2 get 1) when I am already 2 over the limit and have 3 farm guys whom I will have to match if claimed (Yamamoto, chychrun, chabot). So it?s toigh to keep value seperate from roster shortage...