Thread: Hikers? You need this App! View Ranger

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Hikers? You need this App! View Ranger

My father in-law, who's in search & rescue introduced me to this app - http://www.viewranger.com/en-US

GPS driven, not data driven - you can turn your wifi off and it will still ping your exact location. I use it any time I head out on a trail I haven't done more than twice. There are a lot of criss-crossing mountain bike trails in my primary hiking area, so it's easy to go NNW instead of NWN when you hit 5 or 6 trail intersection.

If you like hitting new trails something like this is a lifesaver - really helps you avoid getting lost & stay on route.

when you zoom in, it is very accurate. You take two steps off the trail - you'll see you're off the trail.

Where this app really separates itself, IMO... is the Buddy Beacon - When you set up the app, you set up emergency contacts - if you get in trouble you can send out a signal - BB - an emergency email/text with your exact location will be sent to your emergency contact who can contact Search & Rescue if you do not have wifi or are unable to. With the PIN you can also reverse look up the person to see where they are.

A lot of Search & Rescue services in Canada use this app.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Hikers? You need this App! View Ranger

I'll check it out.

I'd never ever rely on just a phone/app for being out and about in really sketchy areas, but as a part of a package of options (standalone GPS, map and compass) for when things really go badly, it's worth looking at. I worry a bit about the tendency of people to go out into situations with a phone and a water bottle and think they are going to be just fine. The stories you hear from places like the West Coast Trail make you wonder how our species survives.

EDIT: In looking at it, the Buddy Beacon doesn't look too helpful since you need a signal to be able to transmit. Not so helpful in places where I go where there is none.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I'll check it out.

I'd never ever rely on just a phone/app for being out and about in really sketchy areas, but as a part of a package of options (standalone GPS, map and compass) for when things really go badly, it's worth looking at. I worry a bit about the tendency of people to go out into situations with a phone and a water bottle and think they are going to be just fine. The stories you hear from places like the West Coast Trail make you wonder how our species survives.
    Living only a couple hours from the WCT, I know what you mean... but what makes it worse, is when you hear about people getting lost on some of the most well marked wilderness trails in the country -- weekly!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Living only a couple hours from the WCT, I know what you mean... but what makes it worse, is when you hear about people getting lost on some of the most well marked wilderness trails in the country -- weekly!
    Nice, have you done it yourself? It's still on my bucket list (along with lots of other stuff), but I'd like to run it in the next few years if possible with a few other friends.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Nice, have you done it yourself? It's still on my bucket list (along with lots of other stuff), but I'd like to run it in the next few years if possible with a few other friends.
    I have not, on my bucket list as well. So is the Juan de Fuca trail -- I normally do day hikes and plan on doing the de Fuca trail in the next year or so as a warm up to the West Coast Trail...