Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: US Slaps Canada/Mexico With Metal Tariffs

The Great One

Default Re: US Slaps Canada/Mexico With Metal Tariffs

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I think what needs to happen, first and foremost (and I wish I was smart enough to say "this is how" but I'm not...) is the US dollar should not be the largest reserve currency anymore, and commodities need to be index priced... or somehow fixed against something stable, which cannot be said about dollar anymore.
    When oil prices are up, layhumans mistakenly attribute it to a strengthening energy sector, or supply restrictions in crude.
    Sometimes, that is true, but it's often just because oil is priced in dollars, and dollars aren't backed by anything today. The inherent value of a dollar is far less than it was many years ago... economists call it a hidden tax for that reason.

So, for something like this to come to fruition, foreign countries need to basically start dumping their US dollar holdings, but most of them won't do that until it's too late.

I know it's crazy, but being a crypto speculator, I think some kind digital gold is eventually needed, a global currency unit... something that is stable and can't be traded. Trading it will make it volatile and therefore make everything volatile that is tied to it.
    It'll probably not happen in my lifetime, but there will come a day when the US dollar is completely worthless.
    Read/Google about the Petro Yuan

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    My intended point was that "diplomacy" like randomly slapping tarriffs on important economic and defense partners doesn't do anything but hurt your own people, and it does so not only in the short term but also the long. And their domestic policies seem to be going down the same road. It's all smoke screens and deceptions to retain political clout with Trump's base, instead of actually sound economic policy.
    Indeed, on this we agree!

Dobber Sports Titan

I was having a conversation with my parents on this this weekend and I said something like, "Having everything off the USD is ridiculous now because if they go into the 1929 depression again we're all screwed. Should be off of bitcoin (as a joke kind of)". And they freaked because "You can't just make money!!" and i paused and asked, "You know we're not using gold as the value of a dollar anymore right? That was switched in like 1930, and US back in the 70s". They had no idea.

But anyways, I like how Canada and the other countries reacted to this. Even though it's very tit-for-tat, it's something.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Apparently, in a phone conversation when Trudeau asked Trump how he could cite “National Security” as justification for these tariffs, Trump suggested it was because Canada burned down the White House in the War of 1812. Which, despite the fact that this happened over 200 years ago, it was actually done by British troops...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ffs/677956002/

Rylant

Administrator

That's the kind of sarcastic answer I give people all the time in my everyday life. Love it!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Actually, what he did was jokingly ask "didn't you guys burn down the White House in 1812?!"

That's quite different than claiming he's using that as a reason for the tariffs.
    Doesn't the left have enough legitimate reasons to mock Trump (without needing to manufacture fake stuff ) ?
    There you go, twisting what I have said and insisting that I am manufacturing fake stuff.

I never manufactured this. Trudeau asking what justifies these tariffs citing National Defense reasons is a legitimate question which is worthy of a real answer. Is your defense of Trump’s bullshit response, is that it was a joke? Oh, and that I manufactured this?

So, this story was covered by USA Today, CBC, the Washington Post, the NY Post, CNN, the Globe and Mail and Fox. CNN covers the story suggesting that was Trump’s response to the question. They later go on to ask if it was possible that Trump was joking. This is going to have a huge impact on both Canada and the US, and I am clearly not the only one who thinks that this response was inappropriate, despite the fact that it was also inaccurate. Regardless of whether or not he was joking.

EMG, I know that you and I have had a rough history. Mostly, you just ignore my legitimate questions now, which to be honest, I prefer. I am not sure if you just have a need to refute the things I say and twist my words around or what, but it does get tiresome. Any chance that instead of coming across like somebody who just wants to spite me, you could just ignore me from now on? Please?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

I can't help it if I'm not signed in all the time, and I accidentally read some posts I'd rather not read. Don't worry Rylant, you're definitely on ignore.

As for twisting, this is a direct quote from you...

"Apparently, in a phone conversation when Trudeau asked Trump how he could cite “National Security” as justification for these tariffs, Trump suggested it was because Canada burned down the White House in the War of 1812. "

Those are your words.
    And I simply countered by saying Trump did not "suggest" anything (again, quoting you there so no twisting) - he asked a question in an obviously, tongue-in-cheek, joking manner.

As for the 2nd part, I could have and should have been more clear on what I was writing. I didn't mean to imply that YOU were manufacturing anything. I was referring to the left media in general who are blowing up this story into something way more than it is.
    Of course, when they have hungry followers re-circulating this garbage, I guess who can blame them.

I don't like Trump any more than the next guy. But there is enough legitimate material out there to use against him. I don't like it when the MEDIA (not you) manufactures BS against the guy when it's unnecessary. And it's disappointing that so many people fall for it.

(edit: btw, it should be pointed out that it was a CNN rep who was privy to the exchange... )
    I disagree... (shocker!)... but probably not for the reason you think. Trump got elected making up shit about everyone, in one pre-election speech he was found to have lied or misrepresented facts (blatantly) 30+ times...

Why should Trump hold a monopoly on creating false news and making up random crap about domestic & foreign policy? Goose, meet Gander
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I disagree... (shocker!)... but probably not for the reason you think. Trump got elected making up shit about everyone, in one pre-election speech he was found to have lied or misrepresented facts (blatantly) 30+ times...

Why should Trump hold a monopoly on creating false news and making up random crap about domestic & foreign policy? Goose, meet Gander
    Because, as much as it is a disadvantage, telling the truth is better than lying. This is similar to the diving in hockey argument. Diving draws penalties and while it can get you fined from time to time, it still is mostly effective. Some people think that that means everyone should dive since it works and is not punished enough, while others hate it no matter what and would rather play the game without diving, even if it means at times they will be at a disadvantage. The hope would be that the sport gets cleaned up and diving goes down, not that everyone starts diving. However just look at FIFA to see what can happen.

Dobber Sports Star

I can't help it if I'm not signed in all the time, and I accidentally read some posts I'd rather not read. Don't worry Rylant, you're definitely on ignore.

As for twisting, this is a direct quote from you...

"Apparently, in a phone conversation when Trudeau asked Trump how he could cite ?National Security? as justification for these tariffs, Trump suggested it was because Canada burned down the White House in the War of 1812. "

Those are your words.
    And I simply countered by saying Trump did not "suggest" anything (again, quoting you there so no twisting) - he asked a question in an obviously, tongue-in-cheek, joking manner.

As for the 2nd part, I could have and should have been more clear on what I was writing. I didn't mean to imply that YOU were manufacturing anything. I was referring to the left media in general who are blowing up this story into something way more than it is.
    Of course, when they have hungry followers re-circulating this garbage, I guess who can blame them.

I don't like Trump any more than the next guy. But there is enough legitimate material out there to use against him. I don't like it when the MEDIA (not you) manufactures BS against the guy when it's unnecessary. And it's disappointing that so many people fall for it.

(edit: btw, it should be pointed out that it was a CNN rep who was privy to the exchange... )
    Fair enough. For what it's worth, I do appreciate this type of response from you.

It may not surprise you, but I find Trump to be particularly frustrating. I am well aware that there are those out there who go out of their way to find shit to complain about with him, even if it's not really there, simply because they don't like him. I try to be objective, but will admit, that I have been guilty of doing that kind of thing before. With this, I don't think I am going out of my way to be critical of him unjustly.

Trump has said that one of the reasons that he has imposed these tariffs, is because of National Security. So Trudeau asking Trump how he can cite National Security as a reason for these tariffs is truly a legitimate question, worthy of a good answer. Me saying that Trump suggested the reason way was because Canada burned down the White House in the war of 1812, is because that is basically what he said. Trudeau: How can you cite National Security? Trump: Didn't you guys burn down the White House in the War of 1812? There is definitely an argument to be made, to say that is what Trump is suggesting. At worst, he is suggesting that is the reason why; at best, it is a wildly inappropriate joke inserted in a place deserving of a respectful answer. Knowing Trump's history, I am not willing to completely rule out that Trump was not joking and that is his actual reason, however, I do fully acknowledge that he could have been joking. Because of that, perhaps I should have worded my statement differently.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Because thats literally the job of the 4th estate, to expose and to tell the truth. Not to spread false info because the President is a meany pants liar, or conceal true info cause it doesnt fit your agenda.
    Newsflash, politicians lie, some more then others, some nearly as much as Trump but they are just better at it. Doesnt give the media a free pass.....the opposite in fact, they are failing miserably tho.

I know its hard for some people to believe, but the distrust many millions of people have with the MSM, predates Trump. And they've done nothing to gain credibility back in the last 2 years.

I don't like Trump any more than the next guy.
    That clearly isnt true. There's a large group of people that think he is the anti-christ, an agent of Putin hellbent on destroying the Republic.
    Where as you're prolly just embarrassed and baffled by the dumb things he says so constantly, I can relate to that... there's a big difference between the different levels of "not liking" him.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Because thats literally the job of the 4th estate, to expose and to tell the truth. Not to spread false info because the President is a meany pants liar, or conceal true info cause it doesnt fit your agenda.
    Newsflash, politicians lie, some more then others, some nearly as much as Trump but they are just better at it. Doesnt give the media a free pass.....the opposite in fact, they are failing miserably tho.

I know its hard for some people to believe, but the distrust many millions of people have with the MSM, predates Trump. And they've done nothing to gain credibility back in the last 2 years.

That clearly isnt true. There's a large group of people that think he is the anti-christ, an agent of Putin hellbent on destroying the Republic.
    Where as you're prolly just embarrassed and baffled by the dumb things he says so constantly, I can relate to that... there's a big difference between the different levels of "not liking" him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post

This is a great point. Local news is generally more trustworthy, but now local news stations and papers are getting bought by larger conglomerates with agendas.

I've hated Trump for a long time, and honestly it predates him being President by a lot - the mid 1980's. Then, he was an agent of ego & stupidity hellbent on destroying the USFL - except he thought he would be beating/destroying the NFL.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.