Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 11th Overall

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: 11th Overall

Dobson, Hayton, and Kotkaniemi for me.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Again, I didn't say he was going to be the next McAvoy, but when you hear someone is close to being NHL ready, teams should pay attention. I dont recall hearing the names you mentioned as being talked about for being NHL ready heading into their draft years and I didn't say McAvoy fell in his draft year. Not many had McAvoy ranked much higher then when he was drafted; some had him ranked lower if I remember correctly.

Taking a quick look, McKenzie's final ranking had McAvoy at 14 and Buttons final "List" had him at 15. Pretty much on par with where he went in the draft.

While others had higher "upside", McAvoy was noted as being NHL ready at draft time. One year in college in he was in the NHL that same year. One year later, he was in the discussion for the Calder. I guess they were right.
    I didn't mean falling from those two lists. NHL ready players fall out of the top 10 when they don't have top-line/top-pair potential. They're great value picks in mid-teens but that's why I worry taking a guy like Bouchard in the top 10.

McAvoy's skills were undervalued a bit, and his defensive game has taken big steps forward since the draft. His development has gone perfectly but that doesn't mean everyone's will.

Lawson Crouse was similarly close to being NHL ready and we're still waiting for that to happen.

Dobber Sports Legend

Guys like McAvoy and Fowler are reasons why I question some scouts and GM's. Heading into their draft years, their skills were evident. Dynamic skating, offensive awareness, hockey IQ, great attitudes, highly coachable, and decent size. Yet both dropped way lower than they should have gone. Even the year the Devils picked Zacha over Provorov, I was floored. Happy as a Flyers fan, but floored nonetheless.