Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marchand or Rantanen (pts only)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Marchand or Rantanen (pts only)

Thanks everyone, didnt expect so much input so quickly!

So its not a keeper selection decision, just a trade proposed to me (needed a quicker response than the trade section usually offers sorry!)

I definitely agree with most of tbe points mentioned here, Rantanens potential long term is hard to ignore, however the potential regression is scary, Colorado have been on a roller coaster in terms of success the past decade as well as theyve rebuilt im not convinced they'll be a powerhouse for years to come. I probably will keep Rantannen with all the support for team Rantanen in this theead

Thinking about it 24 hours after initial proposal as confident as I am in my team I should focus on succeeding wkth younger guys. I'm just a bit nervous as 4 of my keepers are super young (Ehlers/Nylander/Keller/Rantanen) and I felt like I needed more vets as Ive found they are more reliable year in year out when going on a championship run! Appreciate the help as always Dobberfam! I may only consider pulling the trigger if he throws in a 2nd for last round or something like that (hes got Mack and wants the duo bad). Thanks again!
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Marchand is a changed man.
    Hahahaha. We can only hope that he has changed.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tanknation View Post
    . I'm just a bit nervous as 4 of my keepers are super young (Ehlers/Nylander/Keller/Rantanen) and I felt like I needed more vets as Ive found they are more reliable year in year out when going on a championship run!
    Vets are more reliable if you're in "win now" mode for sure. If you're mid-pack, going through a mini rebuild, etc., I believe you need to think 3 steps ahead and ask yourself, "when will I be great?" Then, make your decisions based on that. Also, don't forget that fantasy hockey is often about trading assets. Think of how many trades are made in your league each season. You want as many trade-able assets as possible. Once players hit 30, their trade value takes a big dip in most cases... unless we're talking about the Crosby's of the world.

In fact, I would consider fielding offer for Wheeler, Stone and Andersen... just to see what's out there. If you could trade Wheeler and Stone in a 2-for-1 to team looking to "win now" for a stud youngster, I would consider making that move and keeping someone like Konency in the spot.

Just for arguments sake, let's say a contending team has an Eichel or Matthews on their team, could you trade them Wheeler and Stone for Eichel, the keep Eichel and Konecny over Wheeler and Stone?
    It would hurt you next season for sure (unless Eichel pulls a "MacKinnon"), but in a couple of years you could be looking at:

Eichel (84-92) age 23
    Konecny (63-70) age 23
    TOTAL: (147-162)

vs.

Stone (68-75) age 28
    Wheeler (65-70) age 33
    TOTAL: (133-145)

... so if / when you're ready to be a power player in 2 years, you'll have upgraded these 2 keeper slots in points (around 15-20 per year on avg.)... but will have gained a combined 15 years in age, and manageable assets! At that point, you're a contender, and your core is Eichel, Gaudreau, Barkov, Keller, Rantanen, Ehlers, Nylander, Konecny, etc. I'd imagine that would be among the best, young cores in the league.
    I would consider the same approach with OEL and Andersen. Don't give them away by any means, but dip your toe in and see what's out there.
    If you could somehow trade OEL for a McAvoy, Dahlin, etc. I would consider that, as it may work better with your "big picture" timetable.
    Then, once your pieces are all in place, timed, and have blossomed, you're poised for a rock solid 5-6 run where you go to war with your team until it's time to "re-tool" again.
    Always be a step ahead!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd want Rantanen here.

Both have risk, and frankly, Marchand's risk is less tolerable for me. He's more injury prone, and way more likely to get suspended. Marchand is one of those guys who keeps pushing the envelope, and I have no idea why he doesn't get tossed more for his shenanigans. The licking is now on the radar, and the league will mroe gladly suspend for regular season games.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanknation View Post
    I'm going to go for it next year though our league has a few better teams, but with a good draft and reliable vets like Wheeler + Marchand I feel like I could make a good run!
    A lot of people seemed to over look this part of the post. If you are gunning to win next season you have to keep Marchand. If you were rebuilding it would be a different story. Keep Marchand and go for the championship. Fantasy isn't about hoarding the young up and coming players, it's about winning.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Rantanen for sure. Close of 9 years younger, playing for a team with a lot of upside. 1st PP, on a line with MacKinnon who, finally, plays like an elite player.
    8 teams keeper, 12 A, 6 D, 2 G count. 1 pt G/A; 2 pts W, 3 pts Shutout
    7 changes per mounth

Fowards:

Beauvillier, Svechnikov, Kamenev, Point, MacKinnon, Dano, Shinkaruk, Teravainen, Trochek, Huberdeau, Vesey, Scheifele, V.Rask, Mi. Granlund, Spooner, Zucker, R.Smith, Duchene, Marchesseault, Dadonov, P.Kane, Simmonds, Okposo, Zuccarello, Oshie, Bozak, Vrbata.

Defense:

Chychrun, Kylington, Theodore, Matheson, Gostisbehere, J.Schultz, McDonagh, PK Subban, Muzzin, E.Johnson, Phaneuf

Goalie:

Mrazek, Allen, Andersen, Reimer, Fleury

Dobber Sports Prodigy

@fungchen, appreciate the indepth breakdown as always! You definitely put it into a good perspective. im still closer completing my build tben going for a run. Two for ones have been milked in my league the last 2 years and we only have 80 keepers leaguewide, current owners with high end keepers wont do the 2 for 1s unfortunately..I am trying to move Wheeler though his production has maxxed especially given his ago imo. I was thinking about Konecny as well for my 10th if I did a two for one. Will definitely continue trying this strategy until in fully ready to compete, thank you!

I think from reading all these responses I should be a bit more patient as Marchand may not be putting up prime numbers for long enough for when the majority of my team is in its prime.

@dusterdave I would have to trade for Marchand unfortunately :s

Thank you for the advice everybody, amazing and balanced-ish responses for both sides as I had hoped!
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Wizard

Marchand for sure. He's still young enough to have 3-4 great years left and are we looking past that time frame anyway? Rantanen had a nice breakout year but I'm not sure he's going to be a PPG player going forward. I see Marchand outpointing him by 10-15 points.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Glad to see so much confidence in Rantanen among the Dobber crowd. I grabbed him at the end our keeper league draft last year hoping for 60-65pts and he turned out to be the steal of the season and a long term keeper for me moving forward. I'm expecting a bit of a slide next year (maybe 70-75 pt range) but even that is nothing to shrug at for a winger his age.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Glad to see so much confidence in Rantanen among the Dobber crowd. I grabbed him at the end our keeper league draft last year hoping for 60-65pts and he turned out to be the steal of the season and a long term keeper for me moving forward. I'm expecting a bit of a slide next year (maybe 70-75 pt range) but even that is nothing to shrug at for a winger his age.
    If I offered you Marchand for Rantanen, would you accept?
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    If I offered you Marchand for Rantanen, would you accept?
    Tough question. In the short term if I needed to try and win now I'd have to strongly consider since Marchand at the rate he scored last season has 95-100pt potential if he stays healthy and avoids suspension. That's a BIG 'if' though, and a lot to ask of him considering the way he plays. And wasn't he concussed early in the season? Concussions always make me nervous.

If I was a middling team with no realistic shot to contend or in a full rebuild I'd probably keep Rantanen because the Avs are on the upswing and him and Mack can do a lot of damage together. He's not a suspension risk like Marchand and so far appears to be a big and durable player who should only get stronger.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd stick with Rantanen, personally. So much younger and making beautiful chemistry with McKinnon