Poll: Jets or VGK

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Western Conference Final: Winnipeg Jets vs Vegas Golden Knights

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Western Conference Final: Winnipeg Jets vs Vegas Golden Knights

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    according to capfriendly they only have 1 pick - 2nd in the 1st - 3 rounds of this years draft
    Correct. but they have 2 in Round 4, 5 and 6.

Then they have a bunch next year.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Correct. but they have 2 in Round 4, 5 and 6.

Then they have a bunch next year.
    if they're in a similar position next year as well... let's see what they have left for the '19 draft. of those 6 picks, that works out to like 1.3 NHL players
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

according to capfriendly they only have 1 pick - 2nd in the 1st - 3 rounds of this years draft
    Their picks this year will be late ones. Next year that might not be the case. That was the point I was trying to make.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Their picks this year will be late ones. Next year that might not be the case. That was the point I was trying to make.
    like I said above: if they're in a similar position next year as well... let's see what they have left for the '19 draft. of those 6 picks, that works out to like 1.3 NHL players

Dobber Sports Wizard

like I said above: if they're in a similar position next year as well... let's see what they have left for the '19 draft. of those 6 picks, that works out to like 1.3 NHL players
    My point was that they're unlikely to be in a similar situation again next year, so it was smart of them to trade away current picks instead of trading away future picks. At this point we already know their 1st round pick won't be higher than 30th overall this summer but their 2019 1st round pick could be a lottery pick.

I have no idea what 1.3 NHL players have to do with that but sure.

Dobber Sports Jedi

My point was that they're unlikely to be in a similar situation again next year, so it was smart of them to trade away current picks instead of trading away future picks. At this point we already know their 1st round pick won't be higher than 30th overall this summer but their 2019 1st round pick could be a lottery pick.

I have no idea what 1.3 NHL players have to do with that but sure.
    It was just a part of the copy/paste from the previous comment.. doesn't apply specifically to your comment ... Vegas wasn't supposed to be in this position this year.. to count them out next year seems pre-mature

Dobber Sports Wizard

It was just a part of the copy/paste from the previous comment.. doesn't apply specifically to your comment ... Vegas wasn't supposed to be in this position this year.. to count them out next year seems pre-mature
    I'm not counting them out, just saying it's a realistic expectation that they won't repeat this next year because of the reasons already mentioned here.

Obviously Vegas isn't sure of themselves being a Cup contender next year either which is why they preferred to trade their current pick. If they look like a contender at next year's trade deadline, then they can move 2019 picks. This is smart asset management that I'd want to see used more often in the NHL and in fantasy hockey leagues as well. Don't sell your future 1st round picks until you have some idea where they end up being - anything can happen from one year to another.

The Great One

I'm not counting them out, just saying it's a realistic expectation that they won't repeat this next year because of the reasons already mentioned here.

Obviously Vegas isn't sure of themselves being a Cup contender next year either which is why they preferred to trade their current pick. If they look like a contender at next year's trade deadline, then they can move 2019 picks. This is smart asset management that I'd want to see used more often in the NHL and in fantasy hockey leagues as well. Don't sell your future 1st round picks until you have some idea where they end up being - anything can happen from one year to another.
    Smart teams lottery protect their picks. And the Ottawa Senators are the exception to prove the rule

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Smart teams lottery protect their picks. And the Ottawa Senators are the exception to prove the rule
    Well, actually they lottery protected their pick but only for one year, and obviously other teams wouldn't be willing to have that protection any longer than that. Ottawa has the choice to send either their 2018 or 2019 1st round pick to Colorado, so even though they lottery protected the pick, they didn't realize they might be bad for more than 1 year.