Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness/ workout question for you all

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Physical Fitness/ workout question for you all

I am not sure if we have any gym rats here or not, but I am curious about your eat/workout schedule.

If you workout early in the morning, do you prefer to eat first and then workout, or do you like to workout first and then eat after your workout? What seems to work for you? What gives the best results?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Physical Fitness/ workout question for you all

I chug some water, make a smoothie of stuff (fruit and veg, like bananas, berries, mango, and some kale/spinach) with yogurt, honey, cider vinegar, and chia seeds. Workout and come home and have some coffee and toast, read the paper. Throughout the day I'm snacking on small things, fistful of edamame/chickpeas, some nuts, and by midday have some cheese and bread, or a salad. Come home and eat a light dinner, some seafood or chicken and some veggies. Workout opposite of what I did in the morning (lift/run), come home and enjoy a cigar and some whiskey. Wake up and do it all over again. How about you lot?
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Administrator

I always do my workouts when they fit best within my day. Sometimes that's after a meal, sometimes it's before the next one. In the bigger picture doing a workout is better than not doing anything. Hard work and consistency trump the smaller details IMO.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The kids make it impossible to workout, EVER!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I like to think of it as alternating between lifting a 13 pound weight, and doing sprints to catch the more mobile one. The best part is that slowly the 13 pound weight will get bigger, and the sprints will get longer and more frequent. It's a long-term program.

To answer the question though, I can't get through a workout without something in my stomach. A smoothie is normally all I have time for, and then I eat afterwards as well, but it tends to be broken up into a few snacks until lunch time.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I second this... the only workout is getting them to where they need to be, when they need to be there and then getting them to bed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Thanks mates. I am just trying to determine what is the better way to go. Eat and then workout or workout and then eat. I have done both depending on timings and situation available but trying to maximize the workout as much as possible. I do agree that any workout, be it on a full or emtpy stomach is better then no workout at all.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Thanks mates. I am just trying to determine what is the better way to go. Eat and then workout or workout and then eat. I have done both depending on timings and situation available but trying to maximize the workout as much as possible. I do agree that any workout, be it on a full or emtpy stomach is better then no workout at all.
    For morning workouts I eat some protein oatmeal then go workout then have a protein shake when I come back.

If you are trying to lose weight, apparently if you do cardio first thing in the morning it burns fat faster.
    Hockey
    12 team H2H Keeper League (Yahoo)
    30 Player Rosters - Keep 15

Categories(12)(8 player, 4 Goalie): G, A, GWG, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, Save%, SO

C: Kopitar, Spezza, Getzlaf, Matthews, Malkin
    L: B. Schenn, Guentzel
    R: Perry, Zuccarello, Coyle, Kessel
    D: Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Klefbom
    G: Holtby

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
    For morning workouts I eat some protein oatmeal then go workout then have a protein shake when I come back.

If you are trying to lose weight, apparently if you do cardio first thing in the morning it burns fat faster.
    Thats my plan, yes.

Thanks for the info.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Are you coming at it from trying to get the best workout / body results or trying to organize your day to consistently get a workout in early? It sucks to say wake up at 6 AM, eat something small, go workout and get home say 90 minutes later, and then make another meal. Takes a lot of discipline to be that consistent and spend a good 2 hours every morning on that. So definitely agree that it's best to just make sure you're doing it period, then think details. But it probably gives the best results to have a quick small meal before working out, because it gets the metabolism going with some quick fuel and then a workout. Apparently your metabolism will start firing again after fasting all night if you eat something early - which contradicts the empty stomach jog, but will also help burn fat all day.

Dobber Sports Deity

Im trying to maximize my results from the workout. Not sure if the body burns more on a full (well, with food in it) over an empty stomach.

The Great One

From my research, there are different schools of thought on this. Some experts say that working out on an empty stomach, early in the morning, causes the body to burn fat. That makes a lot of sense to me from a scientific point-of-view.

However, from my personal perspective, I always have a crappy workout (low energy) when I haven't eaten enough before the workout (usually I eat something 1.5 to 2 hours before my workout). When I eat enough, I usually have lots of energy to push through my workouts, even when they are really intense.

I've also read, FWIW, that it is beneficial to workout and eat at the same times every day. Again, this seems logical to me. I think our bodies get used to routine, if you stick to it. For me, I almost always eat and workout at the same times every day, and I've had great results from doing that. However, everyone is different. I think the best thing is to find what works best for you and your body type/schedule/lifestyle, etc. If you have kids and a busy schedule, you gotta get your workout in and eat when you can fit it in.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    From my research, there are different schools of thought on this. Some experts say that working out on an empty stomach, early in the morning, causes the body to burn fat. That makes a lot of sense to me from a scientific point-of-view.

However, from my personal perspective, I always have a crappy workout (low energy) when I haven't eaten enough before the workout (usually I eat something 1.5 to 2 hours before my workout). When I eat enough, I usually have lots of energy to push through my workouts, even when they are really intense.

I've also read, FWIW, that it is beneficial to workout and eat at the same times every day. Again, this seems logical to me. I think our bodies get used to routine, if you stick to it. For me, I almost always eat and workout at the same times every day, and I've had great results from doing that. However, everyone is different. I think the best thing is to find what works best for you and your body type/schedule/lifestyle, etc. If you have kids and a busy schedule, you gotta get your workout in and eat when you can fit it in.
    Good advice here. Have heard that working out between 4 - 7 pm is best but I think it depends on many factors at play. Do what best works for you. Late day before supper I typically feel sluggish when pushing on the road bike on the trainer. Last week I had a fairly light supper, waited an 1 hour plus, and spun like a mad man with plenty in the tank. I typically don't exercise past supper hour unless it's a game of hockey in the evening.
    No doubt, the body needs plenty of fuel as we age, and I think consistency in both diet and exercise times are key. Also, exercise when you feel like you 'want to' vs 'have to'...mine has always been post work day or early evening. Good luck Axe
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

The key line is "there are different schools of thought on this"

There's always research contradicting other research so I have a hard time pinning down what is the truth. I have a feeling that like most other things it varies from person to person. To me it's like counting calories - too much investment to optimize everything. That's why I advocate just doing your shtick and don't worry about the details. If you have a healthy lifestyle you will be healthy.

FWIW when I was dropping pounds quickly I did most of my workouts immediately before going to bed. I also had a back injury and a torn calf at different times which limited me to light workouts only (~4 months total). I think it was more about food than exercise TBH.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

I eat and then I don't workout. Then I eat again later.