Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Allen/Smith/Raanta - Pick 1

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Allen/Smith/Raanta - Pick 1

The good news is, I won my league this year - largely due to an insane run of starts put together by Raanta. The bad news, this is who I have left in net. Unfortunately I had to drop Bishop after his second injury as our league doesn't have an "Out" spot.

I'm more than likely going to be keeping Kucherov, Kessel, Benn and Giroux. Goalies in our pool are very scarce in the draft and I don't pick until Round 3 (36 overall), so I'm thinking I need to keep 1 at minimum.

Do you think any of these goalies are worth keeping over my other players (ex. Bergeron, Kopitar, Krug)? Ideally I'd like to try to trade a goalie + a pick for an upgrade in net, but I'm doubtful any GMs are interested in my guys and my picks are pretty scarce.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Yahoo - 12 Teams - 7th Year of Keeper League (Keep 5) - H2H - Daily Starts
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G, 5B
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Team
    C - Seguin
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Tarasenko
    D - Karlsson
    G - Holtby

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Allen/Smith/Raanta - Pick 1

Due to age and wear-and-tear, I would eliminate Smith from contention.

I want to believe that Allen can bounce back. He has shown it before. But, he has more often shown his struggles. Raanta was a career backup who had a really good run the second half of the season. Neither are inspiring as a top goalie, which, obviously, you know.

Could you trade one of your other players (Kopitar, Bergeron, Krug) plus Raanta (he has the best trade value of your goalies) for a more reliable goalie, to use as your fifth keeper?

Dobber Sports Rookie

I've asked around and no one is overly interested in Raanta unfortunately. I thought about potentially trading Giroux for a high pick, then flipping the pick for a goalie (would likely keep Bergeron in this scenario). I might be able to land Jones or Talbot, Jones being the more expensive option. I could probably get Talbot for fairly cheap, but he's another guy who underperformed this year. Pretty rough year for goalies overall.
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Team
    C - Seguin
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Tarasenko
    D - Karlsson
    G - Holtby

Dobber Sports Rookie

This was my second year with Allen. I keep hoping he'll put it together because he's still fairly young (1990), but he's incredibly frustrating to own and I'm starting to wonder how much trust the Blues have left in him.
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Team
    C - Seguin
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Tarasenko
    D - Karlsson
    G - Holtby

Dobber Sports Monster

By all means if you can get Talbot for cheap then I would package any of your goalies with a + to get him.

But you may have to drop all of your goalies and merely pay a pick for a better one. In a keep 5, people will not have the room to add a second or third goalie which mostly cuts out your market. But there has to be a goalie upgrade out there you can get for a late pick.

If you can't find that, then you have to work with what you have...which is complicated because we don't have a clear idea if Hutton is coming back to St Louis or who is backing up in Calgary. Picking today, I guess I gamble on Raanta.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd keep Raanta, and sell you other non-keepers for picks. Raanta has been really good with rate stats his whole career. Allen has been a roughly average goalie on a good team, so I peg him has a below-average talent.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Raanta is the one you keep. Smith is turning 38... and Allen has shown way too much inconsistency the last two years.

All Raanta did was improve, improve, improve last season... .930 svpct on Arizona! If that doesn't tell you all you need to know.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Raanta is the one you keep. Smith is turning 38... and Allen has shown way too much inconsistency the last two years.

All Raanta did was improve, improve, improve last season... .930 svpct on Arizona! If that doesn't tell you all you need to know.
    This is where I'm coming from as well. Raanta is only a year older than Allen, and he doesn't come with the band-aid boy risk. Raanta's always been a skilled goalie, worked with good goalie coaches, and is on an up and coming team who by rights should improve their record next season. Add to that his new three year contract, which I see as a definite vote of confidence after he played this season on a one year, low dollar deal.

Now, if you're able to trade up and land someone on a better team who's set to start 60 games, then by all means go for it. Just sounds like you're not getting super far there at the moment. Might be just as safe to keep Raanta and use your non-keepers to replenish your picks.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Big Daddy

I'd keep Raanta unless you are able to get another manager who needs a goalie to give you an over payment for him, in which case I'd keep Allen.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Padawan

I am biased because he is my golden boy, but I am keeping Raanta. His numbers playing for Arizona is proof enough that he's a legit and solid number 1. Unless you can make a trade and get back a good return, he's a must keep.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Rookie

All things considered I agree, definitely seems to make the most sense to keep Raanta of the three. It's a bit of an adjustment thinking of keeping a goalie on Arizona but their second half was pretty strong and his personal stats were really impressive. Unless I can get more of a sure thing for a fairly reasonable price to upgrade, will probably go with Raanta. Thanks for the input!
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Team
    C - Seguin
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Tarasenko
    D - Karlsson
    G - Holtby

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not too crazy about any of them, but if you can't acquire any other goalie then I would lean with Allen. He is on the better team. Raanta has a small sample size although the Yotes are an intriguing young team. Unfortunately he will be going through some team related growing pains but if they can break through he should be a very good goalie. This is tough. Slight edge to Allen.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Not too crazy about any of them, but if you can't acquire any other goalie then I would lean with Allen. He is on the better team. Raanta has a small sample size although the Yotes are an intriguing young team. Unfortunately he will be going through some team related growing pains but if they can break through he should be a very good goalie. This is tough. Slight edge to Allen.
    I'm not sure I can agree... Allen has given a larger sample size and what we've seen is a complete meltdown - to the AHL last season. He followed that up by getting replaced as the starter by a career back up in Hutton. Allen has all the physical tools to be a top goalie in the NHL... he's lacking the tools between the ears.

A .930 svpct on one of the worst teams in the NHL is no joke. There's no place for you to hide as a goalie on a bottom feeder. That's an elite svpct. I am out to acquire Raanta in most leagues this off season due to his an teams potential.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yeah I know, but I'm not going to get into the Raanta hype until he becomes consistently good. Getting hot for periods throughout the year is common, maintaining that in a career is not. But Allen is nothing to get excited about so I picked him because of where he plays only. Hoping he has a bounce back/break thru type of season. But Raanta def is the sexy pick here.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Yeah I know, but I'm not going to get into the Raanta hype until he becomes consistently good. Getting hot for periods throughout the year is common, maintaining that in a career is not. But Allen is nothing to get excited about so I picked him because of where he plays only. Hoping he has a bounce back/break thru type of season. But Raanta def is the sexy pick here.
    Personally I would consider a .922 career save% in 141 games over 5 years with 3 different teams to be consistently good. Certainly better than Jake Allen's .913 career save% in 219 games over 5 years with one consistently good team.

But to each their own.