Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: League Expansion Ideas

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: League Expansion Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You absolutely can not entertain changing the number of keepers from what was agreed upon at this time last year.
    Some teams will have set their teams up with exact power in their 7/3/1 - if that is what you had determined last year.
    If you switch to anything else, you are being unfair to teams that underwent their year with the 7/3/1 end goal... and maybe a team that is top end heavy (2F/2D) becomes stronger than the 7/3/1 team.

Nope...
    In keeper leagues, you need to have a full year of "no rule change" prior to expansion.
    Anything else is unfair - even if you can come to a "majority decision"... it will still be unfair to some team.

Whatever was the intended keeper amount when you discussed expansion last year... must stay in place. Period.
    (If this creates a very weak expansion team, so be it. Perhaps you pre-allocate them TWO first round picks in each of the next 3 years, something like that... but don't steal assets from teams that played by the rules.)
    One of the things I always push for, in the leagues where I'm not the commish, is to drop the F/D/G requirement and just go with protecting whatever number of players/prospects you want. It brings another personal element into the protections. Some guys will go heavy on D or keep 2 goalies (you may have to limit goalie protections to 1 or 2 depending on the size of your league and availability of 'tenders).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    For the league in my sig. we are going to be expanding to 24 teams this offseason. We have an idea of how we want to complete the protection/expansion process, but I thought I would toss it on here to see if anyone has any ideas I could bounce around the league.

1) Protection List - we are thinking of going with 7 F, 3 D, 1 G. Expose 5 minors players.

2) Expansion Draft - teams draft 1 main roster player from each team, snake draft style. Teams draft 11 minors players, reverse order from main roster. *Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player*

This will give the new teams 33 players to start their franchise, plus 6 picks from the entry draft.

Toss out any ideas/criticism you may have! Will rep where I can.
    I haven't read through the comments yet. Wanted to give feedback first.

1. The absolute first thing is that the math doesn't work. 22 teams losing 2 players ("Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player") equals 44 players. Dividing that by 2 teams you have 22 players per team, not 33. So they are already 11 players in the hole from your first estimate of roster sizes. But, it gets worse.

2. Since the protection format has been agreed upon, and the maximum losses likely as well, you need to realize the fact that the expansion teams are going to be playing with rosters that are short. How short? You have 50 players listed roster above - 19 starters & 4 bench. Losing 2 gets you to 48. The plan was to give the expansion teams 33 man rosters, and then 6 picks from the entry draft, That gets them to... 39, which means that the plan was to screw the expansion teams out of 9-11 filled roster/minors spots immediately versus existing teams. One would hope they could fill those slots in free agency after the draft. But, it gets still worse.

3. Due to the math error in #1, combined with the issue in #2, you end up with expansion teams starting with 28 man rosters - including 6 rookie draft picks in a league where 50 players are rostered, with 23 on main roster.
    The # on main roster is less than the number they get in the expansion draft, which includes guys in the minors. This means those teams are very likely going to have to dress whatever is left in free agency after the draft, since it's unlikely that they get 12 active NHLers out of 11 prospects they draft in the minors section of the expansion draft and 6 rookie draft picks.

I'm hoping that "*Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player*" means per expansion team, but I suspect that it's just 2 total per team.

In short, unless existing teams can actually lose more than 2 players total, this is brutally bad. Since you can't change the expansion rules that were voted on regarding how many players each team loses, you need to do something to make sure they can at least more or less fill out a viable active roster. Otherwise, you are going to have expansion teams losing almost every week in head to head, which sucks - except for a couple fluke weeks. In those weeks the owners of existing teams who do lose are going to complain about how it's screwed up that everybody else beats this garbage expansion team, except them.

The only way I see to salvage this if it's indeed 2 total lost is to let the expansion owners fill out roster in free agency before the draft with players not on a roster who aren't draft eligible.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I haven't read through the comments yet. Wanted to give feedback first.

1. The absolute first thing is that the math doesn't work. 22 teams losing 2 players ("Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player") equals 44 players. Dividing that by 2 teams you have 22 players per team, not 33. So they are already 11 players in the hole from your first estimate of roster sizes. But, it gets worse.

2. Since the protection format has been agreed upon, and the maximum losses likely as well, you need to realize the fact that the expansion teams are going to be playing with rosters that are short. How short? You have 50 players listed roster above - 19 starters & 4 bench. Losing 2 gets you to 48. The plan was to give the expansion teams 33 man rosters, and then 6 picks from the entry draft, That gets them to... 39, which means that the plan was to screw the expansion teams out of 9-11 filled roster/minors spots immediately versus existing teams. One would hope they could fill those slots in free agency after the draft. But, it gets still worse.

3. Due to the math error in #1, combined with the issue in #2, you end up with expansion teams starting with 28 man rosters - including 6 rookie draft picks in a league where 50 players are rostered, with 23 on main roster.
    The # on main roster is less than the number they get in the expansion draft, which includes guys in the minors. This means those teams are very likely going to have to dress whatever is left in free agency after the draft, since it's unlikely that they get 12 active NHLers out of 11 prospects they draft in the minors section of the expansion draft and 6 rookie draft picks.

I'm hoping that "*Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player*" means per expansion team, but I suspect that it's just 2 total per team.

In short, unless existing teams can actually lose more than 2 players total, this is brutally bad. Since you can't change the expansion rules that were voted on regarding how many players each team loses, you need to do something to make sure they can at least more or less fill out a viable active roster. Otherwise, you are going to have expansion teams losing almost every week in head to head, which sucks - except for a couple fluke weeks. In those weeks the owners of existing teams who do lose are going to complain about how it's screwed up that everybody else beats this garbage expansion team, except them.

The only way I see to salvage this if it's indeed 2 total lost is to let the expansion owners fill out roster in free agency before the draft with players not on a roster who aren't draft eligible.
    This was an error on my part. Each expansion team will draft 22 main roster players, so each existing team will lose two players from their main roster.

Then each team will draft 11 prospects each, so each existing team will lose one prospect. Expansion teams will also get first shot at FA to add any players they wish.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Thanks for pointing that out Pengwin. Never had that cross my mind either. I know I made adjustments to have a solid 7 F - 3 D - 1 G setup.
    You could follow the NHL model a bit - put to a vote to see who would be open to given teams flexibility - keep 7-3-1 or keep 9 no position requirements... a neat wrinkle where a team might decide to protect 4D but expose more F's ... the vote keeps your nose clean as well

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for pointing that out Pengwin. Never had that cross my mind either. I know I made adjustments to have a solid 7 F - 3 D - 1 G setup.
    You could follow the NHL model a bit - put to a vote to see who would be open to given teams flexibility - keep 7-3-1 or keep 9 no position requirements... a neat wrinkle where a team might decide to protect 4D but expose more F's ... the vote keeps your nose clean as well
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This was an error on my part. Each expansion team will draft 22 main roster players, so each existing team will lose two players from their main roster.

Then each team will draft 11 prospects each, so each existing team will lose one prospect. Expansion teams will also get first shot at FA to add any players they wish.
    That is much, much better. Glad to hear it.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.