Poll: Bruins or Leafs

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

4. Kapanen & Johnsson have just made Komarov & JVR expendable.
    Agreed... I've always been a big fan of Kap since late last year and I was bewildered all year as to why Babs wasn't using him more. I didn't know much about Johnsson until recently but I'm a big fan.

These two never take a shift off.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

4. Kapanen & Johnsson have just made Komarov & JVR expendable.

Will these guys be heading to the Marlies to get some furhter playoff experience there?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Agreed... I've always been a big fan of Kap since late last year and I was bewildered all year as to why Babs wasn't using him more. I didn't know much about Johnsson until recently but I'm a big fan.

These two never take a shift off.
    Johnsson stuck it out in the SEL for a couple years, where he developed well. I've liked him ever since he said he needed to stay in Sweden because he didn't think he was fully ready to move to North America and be away from his family to that extent. A very self-aware kid focused on personal growth/development from day 1. We just need some of these kids to show up on D now.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Will these guys be heading to the Marlies to get some furhter playoff experience there?
    I believe that's the plan. Dermott should be as well.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    yep... kap, johnsson & dermott are all listed on the Marlies playoff roster

Dobber Sports Legend

Ruh roh, signs are starting to point to a distressed relationship between Matthews and Babcock. If anyone is listening to TSN 1050 right now, they are delving into this, among other things.

Last night on the post game show, the Leafs broadcast team hinted towards Matthews shaking his head every time Babcock called him off the ice immediately in order to match up lines. Supposedly Babcock told the players they needed to be strict on match-ups, and had to look for signs on when to change. Roenick last night was saying that is hard for a good player for a couple of reasons:

1. They want to prove they can perform against any match-up, and feel if they are good enough, they should be given the chance.

2. Logistically, it is a nightmare, because it's the main focus on your mind when you hop over the boards, "do I need to look for a signal to get off?!"

So far today the Sportsnet people are talking about it, Dreger referenced it about an hour ago (as a call in to TSN), and now they are talking about it fully.

Babcock said something last night in his post game that struck me as a little odd. He was asked about Matthews' struggles during this series and he said, "That's a real good question, I think you should ask him..." He also said (I'm paraphrasing), "He's a real good player, playing in the best league in the world, and players are going to play him hard, he needs to realize that, and learn from that." I didn't know if that response was meant to defend his rationale for obsessing over line match-ups, or if it was an insinuation that Matthews needs to up his game in the playoffs.

If there is a disconnect between the player and coach here, it needs to get worked out. They said if Matthews doesn't jump on an 8-year deal when offered, it's an indication he could have some reservations about the coach.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Ruh roh, signs are starting to point to a distressed relationship between Matthews and Babcock. If anyone is listening to TSN 1050 right now, they are delving into this, among other things.

Last night on the post game show, the Leafs broadcast team hinted towards Matthews shaking his head every time Babcock called him off the ice immediately in order to match up lines. Supposedly Babcock told the players they needed to be strict on match-ups, and had to look for signs on when to change. Roenick last night was saying that is hard for a good player for a couple of reasons:

1. They want to prove they can perform against any match-up

2. Logistically, it is a nightmare, because it's the main focus on your mind when you hop over the boards, "do I need to look for a signal to get off?!"

So far today the Sportsnet people are talking about it, Dreger referenced it about an hour ago (as a call in to TSN), and now they are talking about it fully.

Babcock said something last night in his post game that struck me as a little odd. He was asked about Matthews' struggles during this series and he said, "That's a real good question, I think you should ask him..." He also said (I'm paraphrasing), "He's a real good player, playing in the best league in the world, and players are going to play him hard, he needs to realize that, and learn from that." I didn't know if that response was meant to defend his rationale for obsessing over line match-ups, or if it was an insinuation that Matthews needs to up his game in the playoffs.

If there is a disconnect between the player and coach here, it needs to get worked out. They said if Matthews doesn't jump on an 8-year deal when offered, it's an indication he could have some reservations about the coach.
    Babs likes open communication & lots of hugs & love... they'll work it out. I don't see this as a long term or issue that will loom large... Also don't see management dancing around this contract to nickel and dime AM. He'll get his millions & he'll get the C

Dobber Sports Legend

Babs likes open communication & lots of hugs & love... they'll work it out. I don't see this as a long term or issue that will loom large... Also don't see management dancing around this contract to nickel and dime AM. He'll get his millions & he'll get the C
    I think Babcock needs a lot more talent on the back end before he can be fully judged. He was spoiled in Detroit with Lidstrom, Kronwall, etc. And on Team Canada with their surplus of talent.

I like the Leafs, and watched every second of their series vs. Washington last year and every second this year vs. the Bruins. In both series', their biggest problem was their defensemen, and their inability to clear the puck, and make solid plays under pressure. You could almost telegraph it both years. This series, when Gardiner, Hainsey and Polak were pressured in their own end, they either failed to clear, lost a battle, were beat to the puck, or just got outplayed.

Yes, Andersen was Swiss cheese in game 7, but at least 3 or 4 of those goals should have never had the chance to materialize - they were caused by multiple Gardiner mishaps, and at least one by Hainsey. Last year it was the same thing - you could see the Caps apply pressure and you just knew the Leafs D would fail to clear the zone, turn over the puck, or lose a battle.

The play of Matthews is puzzling. Last year he wasn't great, but he was good, and at least scored some big goals vs. the Caps. The same could be said about Nylander.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I think Babcock needs a lot more talent on the back end before he can be fully judged. He was spoiled in Detroit with Lidstrom, Kronwall, etc. And on Team Canada with their surplus of talent.

I like the Leafs, and watched every second of their series vs. Washington last year and every second this year vs. the Bruins. In both series', their biggest problem was their defensemen, and their inability to clear the puck, and make solid plays under pressure. You could almost telegraph it both years. This series, when Gardiner, Hainsey and Polak were pressured in their own end, they either failed to clear, lost a battle, were beat to the puck, or just got outplayed.

Yes, Andersen was Swiss cheese in game 7, but at least 3 or 4 of those goals should have never had the chance to materialize - they were caused by multiple Gardiner mishaps, and at least one by Hainsey. Last year it was the same thing - you could see the Caps apply pressure and you just knew the Leafs D would fail to clear the zone, turn over the puck, or lose a battle.

The play of Matthews is puzzling. Last year he wasn't great, but he was good, and at least scored some big goals vs. the Caps. The same could be said about Nylander.
    Agree. I think I said this earlier but I only see Dermott & Rielly as stalwarts moving forward. Zaitsev is going to be there with his contract - and given the correct role - he's fine. Hainsey just can't play top pairing. He never was a #2 Dman - Rielly needs a stronger partner.

I don't see the Leafs making any big splashes in UFA (meaning Carlson) - although he's what is required. I see more of a de Haan addition coming in.

Matthews was so off that one has to think injuries - Friedman made a similar comment in his thoughts today.

Gardiner tried to do more instead of less to make up for his previous mistakes. he was also the Dman that fanned on the puck Bergeron buried in 2013 game 7. He's a big game Dman for the opposition it would seem

I'd really like to see Hainsey sit next year on the 2nd pair and just move on from Polak. Rosen or Carrick can take over the bottom pair and Dermott in all likelihood will be moving into the top 4 - perhaps paired with Rielly

Dobber Sports Titan

Agree. I think I said this earlier but I only see Dermott & Rielly as stalwarts moving forward. Zaitsev is going to be there with his contract - and given the correct role - he's fine. Hainsey just can't play top pairing. He never was a #2 Dman - Rielly needs a stronger partner.

I don't see the Leafs making any big splashes in UFA (meaning Carlson) - although he's what is required. I see more of a de Haan addition coming in.

Matthews was so off that one has to think injuries - Friedman made a similar comment in his thoughts today.

Gardiner tried to do more instead of less to make up for his previous mistakes. he was also the Dman that fanned on the puck Bergeron buried in 2013 game 7. He's a big game Dman for the opposition it would seem

I'd really like to see Hainsey sit next year on the 2nd pair and just move on from Polak. Rosen or Carrick can take over the bottom pair and Dermott in all likelihood will be moving into the top 4 - perhaps paired with Rielly
    I feel like they'd test out Borgman as next yrs Polak.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Here for Toronto media and fans eating Babcock and Matthews alive lol

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I feel like they'd test out Borgman as next yrs Polak.
    it can only be better right? perhaps even Holl... if they properly upgrade their top 4, someone will drop down and force out Polak - that would be ideal

Dobber Sports Legend

Thoughts of a Kapanen for Morin swap with Philly?

Flyers get a nice winger in the event Simmonds goes - the son of a very popular Flyer and the Leafs get a monster D prospect who can play physical, shutdown and skate. Maybe the Flyers even toss in something else. The Flyers are deep in D kids and the Leafs the same at forward. Win, win?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't know anything about Morin but he better be pretty damn good if we're going to give up Kapanen. I think we'll need Kap next season to fill the expected departures at forward.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't know anything about Morin but he better be pretty damn good if we're going to give up Kapanen. I think we'll need Kap next season to fill the expected departures at forward.
    True, especially if JVR, Bozak and Komo all leave. But the Leafs need some young legs that can play legit D. At 6-7, he has a great wingspan, is strong and mean. He can also skate well for his size. I liken him to a young, taller Brooks Orpik.