Poll: Penguns or Flyers

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Giroux was an utter disappointment this series. What a joke.
    Blayzer, more than this series, if we're being honest. Granted, the Fly boys are my squad, so I watch them closer than many people and I'm critical. But, Giroux hasn't been legit since 2012.

You can see it in his play and in his body language. He's not a good choice for captain, and hasn't been for years. He gets hurt because he isn't a punk, and is willing to take a hit, but he is built like a high school player and hasn't done anything to improve this situation, like Sidney Crosby has for example. Crosby is built like Adonis, compared to Giroux, and far stronger.

Giroux is effective playing the perimeter and is good on the PP. However, as in this series, once a team can target that over a 7-gamer, Giroux is watered down to an average player. He also isn't good at handling the media and talking about the team - Simmonds, Voracek, and most recently Couturier, have all taken the burden on. Probably because he knows he has everyone fooled.

What clinched it for me was his cozy move to LW while Couturier handled all the hard work up the middle. He compiled a ton of points and people actually referenced him as a possible MVP candidate because of it. My goodness. Giroux should retire - or rip the letter off his chest at the very least - after his performance in this series. He watched Couturier and Provorov battle with every ounce of sweat, blood, and torn ligaments they had, while he floated, went through the motions, lacked emotion and came up small. His best play of the series was his hit on Hagelin in Game 6, and it was only because he was crosschecked by Letang and the refs didn't call it. Completely selfish. Where was that fire and intensity over the last 6? When the Pens were pounding his players, especially Provorov, who was carrying the team on his back, along with Couturier.

I haven't been this unhappy with a Philadelphia Flyer since Mike Richards showed up late for camp, out of shape, as captain.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    My Top- 10 thoughts from this series ...

1. Sean Couturier is an absolute animal and established himself as a legit #1C and cornerstone of the Philadelphia Flyers.

2. Ivan Provorov is a machine. 30 minutes a game, all-situation beast with the heart of a lion. Future captain material.

3. Sidney Crosby is clearly the best player in the world, and has been, undisputed in my book, for the last 2+ years with no legit competition. McDavid can't touch him ... yet.

4. Carter Hart better be the real deal, and soon, because the Flyers goaltending is a complete dumpster fire.

5. Radko Gudas has zero hockey sense, or common sense for that matter.

6. Phil Kessel dead looks like half the beer league players I play with, but he gets it done.

7. When he's on his game, Geno Malkin is as scary as them come.

8. Claude Giroux is a complete fraud and has Philly fans (and some lazy media) fooled into thinking he's some MVP. He should be traded before he has zero value. "Fraud Giroux", new name.

9. There will be no three-peat this year. The Pens will not make it through the West, unless the Jets or Preds lose 3-4 key players along the way.

10. The secret to beating the Pens is quite simple for any team willing to get dirty - pound their defense viciously every chance possible. If the Flyers did that starting Game 1, instead of respecting them way too much, they legitimately could have won this series in 7. Letang can be rattled and Schultz+Maatta absolutely hate being touched.
    This is an excellent post filled with logical thinking and the exact opposite of what BEV would say if it were his team. Way to go Fungchen3!

I'll say it again: Pittsburgh vs Winnipeg in the final.

EDIT: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fungchen3 again."
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    My Top- 10 thoughts from this series ...

1. Sean Couturier is an absolute animal and established himself as a legit #1C and cornerstone of the Philadelphia Flyers.

2. Ivan Provorov is a machine. 30 minutes a game, all-situation beast with the heart of a lion. Future captain material.

3. Sidney Crosby is clearly the best player in the world, and has been, undisputed in my book, for the last 2+ years with no legit competition. McDavid can't touch him ... yet.

4. Carter Hart better be the real deal, and soon, because the Flyers goaltending is a complete dumpster fire.

5. Radko Gudas has zero hockey sense, or common sense for that matter.

6. Phil Kessel dead looks like half the beer league players I play with, but he gets it done.

7. When he's on his game, Geno Malkin is as scary as them come.

8. Claude Giroux is a complete fraud and has Philly fans (and some lazy media) fooled into thinking he's some MVP. He should be traded before he has zero value. "Fraud Giroux", new name.

9. There will be no three-peat this year. The Pens will not make it through the West, unless the Jets or Preds lose 3-4 key players along the way.

10. The secret to beating the Pens is quite simple for any team willing to get dirty - pound their defense viciously every chance possible. If the Flyers did that starting Game 1, instead of respecting them way too much, they legitimately could have won this series in 7. Letang can be rattled and Schultz+Maatta absolutely hate being touched.
    2 - He also played hurt and kept turning the puck over. If I remember correctly, he blatantly caused 3 penguins goals in that game. Heart is great, but if you're going to be a liability you should have the courage to sit it out.

8 - Fraude Giroux

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    2 - He also played hurt and kept turning the puck over. If I remember correctly, he blatantly caused 3 penguins goals in that game. Heart is great, but if you're going to be a liability you should have the courage to sit it out.
    This is probably why Provorov was in tears after the game, as he stepped in front of microphones, and blamed himself for the loss. This kid is a class act with tons of heart and leadership. Without Provorov, the Flyers had 0% shot to win yesterday - zero. He knew, they knew it, everyone knew it. So he played severely injured, even though he could barely lift his arm. Only one goal yesterday was completely his fault, another could have been prevented. However, the game was lost the minute Radko Gudas gave the Pens 2 goals. Once the 2-goal lead was evaporated, the Flyers were toast. Couturier and Provorov could only do so much.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Am I wrong think Provorov wins a Norris trophy in the next 6 years or so?? This kid seems like he's really got it together..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Am I wrong think Provorov wins a Norris trophy in the next 6 years or so?? This kid seems like he's really got it together..

I think he has a legit shot... but we know that a D-man has to put everything together in a season to win it.

Of 3 of the nominees from last year... only 1 got the nod again this year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Wouldn't surprise me. I have Ghost on my team and love him but Provorov is a stud and can do it all.

Dobber Sports Legend

No, not wrong.

Sure, the Norris is more of a rat race now than ever before, perhaps, but Provorov has the makings of a perennial contender. Playing 30 minutes a night as a 20 year old, drawing assignments named Crosby or Malkin, speaks volumes. He tied for the NHL lead in goals by a D with 17 and will flirt with 50+ points as early as next year, while playing a huge showdown game. This kid is a special player.

I'll put him up against any D in his age group - Ekblad, Werenski, Ristolainen, McAvoy, Sergachev, etc. I'd even put him up against more developed youngsters like Jones, Hamilton, Rielly, Ellis, etc. He is mature beyond his years and his biggest competition will come from the heavies - Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty, Subban, Pietrangelo, Josi, Burns. Give it a couple of years and I think he's in the mix for a long time.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Norris has lost a lot of its lustre in my eyes. Nowadays it feels like a pity party with the top defensemen essentially taking turns winning it.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    The Norris has lost a lot of its lustre in my eyes. Nowadays it feels like a pity party with the top defensemen essentially taking turns winning it.
    I agree with this. To me, it was apparent when Doughty "got his" even though Karlsson clearly deserved it, after having an elite year offensively as well as best two-way game of his career. But Karlsson had multiple and it was "Drew's turn." At least that's the way I feel, and I love Doughty.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yup and this year it's Hedman's "turn".

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nope, I've been saying in basically every thread about Provorov that I see. Inthe Flyers team thread there was some all-time team discussion, and while Gostisbehere is reasonably close to making the teams all-time top 6 D, Provorov isn't far behind.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.