Thread: Is Staal back? Keeper worthy?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Is Staal back? Keeper worthy?

Hey guys.

2nd league in sig.

Trying to finalize my keepers and debating the final few...

We keep 7 including 1 goalie.

Definites are....

Quick - although I'm also debating Talbot...
    Hedman
    Barkov
    Tarasenko
    Voracek

Debating between

Rantanen - young. Offensive. Not much multi
    Panarin - same as Rantanen
    Landescog - multi cat

Staal - always been a fan and he used to be a "must keep". Fell out of that but the past two years is starting to make me think he's worth a spot in that category again....
    Team 1:

G, A, SOG, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, SV%, GAA, SO

C - Matthews, Crosby, Point, Seguin
    LW - Miller, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Schenn
    RW - Terry, Necas, Reinhart, Boeser
    D - Hedman, Pionk, Hanifin, McNabb
    G - Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Petry

Team 2:

G, A, PP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GAA, SV%,

C - Kopitar, Hischier, Rantane
    LW - Panarin, Guentzel, RNH
    RW - Marner, Kucherov, R. Smith
    D - Makar, Hamilton, Heisknen, Dillon
    G - Vasilevskiy, Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Aho, Theodore

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Is Staal back? Keeper worthy?

I would not keep Staal over Panarin or Rantanen.

Dobber Sports Genius

To be honest I would probably keep Rantanen, Panarin and Klingberg as your last 3
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by kooter109 View Post
    Hey guys.

2nd league in sig.

Trying to finalize my keepers and debating the final few...

We keep 7 including 1 goalie.

Definites are....

Quick - although I'm also debating Talbot...
    Hedman
    Barkov
    Tarasenko
    Voracek

Debating between

Rantanen - young. Offensive. Not much multi
    Panarin - same as Rantanen
    Landescog - multi cat

Staal - always been a fan and he used to be a "must keep". Fell out of that but the past two years is starting to make me think he's worth a spot in that category again....
    Good problem to have. My 7 would be:

Quick
    Hedman
    Barkov
    Tarasenko
    Voracek
    Panarin
    Rantanen

I struggled with your goalies, because you have 4 legitimate starters who could help you win the championships, but 3 of them (Talbot, Crawford and Schneider) have been inconsistent. So they have a nice upside, but also a scary downside. I might be persuaded to keep one of them over Panarin or Rantanen, but am not sure who would bubble to the top of the list (probably Talbot just because of age).
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    To be honest I would probably keep Rantanen, Panarin and Klingberg as your last 3
    This is the route I would take as well..
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Star

With SOG, hits, FOW, PIM as scoring categories, Panarin isn't a keeper, just as Johnny Hockey would be on the scrap heap... he hurts you so much in SOG, FOW, hits, PIM, blocks that his offensive contributions don't make up for it. Guys like that have great name value (see the responses in this thread) so you should be able to shop them for more than they're worth. The BEST keepers in this league are centres who have wing eligibility, like Pavelski. Offer Panarin for him and see what happens?

Zetterberg ain't a keeper, but love that you have him in this scoring setup.

I wouldn't keep Klingberg. Same as the others, not enough multi-cat contribution. Shop him for bigger/better things.

Seems like you need to do some trading to get to idea keepers. If you can't do any, I'd hold those with the best names (Panarin, Rantanen, Klingerberg, etc) but with the intention to move them for players who fill your scoring categories better.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I vote for this route as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Big Daddy

Rantanen and Klingberg.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Sage

My 3 as well.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    With SOG, hits, FOW, PIM as scoring categories, Panarin isn't a keeper, just as Johnny Hockey would be on the scrap heap... he hurts you so much in SOG, FOW, hits, PIM, blocks that his offensive contributions don't make up for it. Guys like that have great name value (see the responses in this thread) so you should be able to shop them for more than they're worth. The BEST keepers in this league are centres who have wing eligibility, like Pavelski. Offer Panarin for him and see what happens?

Zetterberg ain't a keeper, but love that you have him in this scoring setup.

I wouldn't keep Klingberg. Same as the others, not enough multi-cat contribution. Shop him for bigger/better things.

Seems like you need to do some trading to get to idea keepers. If you can't do any, I'd hold those with the best names (Panarin, Rantanen, Klingerberg, etc) but with the intention to move them for players who fill your scoring categories better.
    It's a lot easier to fill peripherals with waiver wire players than it is to find guys who will put up 70+ points a year... Klingberg is a top 10 Dman in pretty much every format at this point.
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

Dobber Sports Monster

I'd say he is back. He battled through some injuries in his down season but one thing I'd be mindful about is his age and how quickly some guys at his age fall off.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    It's a lot easier to fill peripherals with waiver wire players than it is to find guys who will put up 70+ points a year... Klingberg is a top 10 Dman in pretty much every format at this point.
    More than half of the scoring categories for skaters don't have anything to do with putting up 70 points a year. G, A, P, PPP, SOG, PIM, FOW, hits, blocks. SOG is the swing obviously, but if a player isn't a prolific shooter then they're meh. My point stands. For sure Klingberg is a top player, but his hit, block, SOG, and PIM numbers are soft. You'd be way better off with a Byfuglien or a Burns or a Letang (provided you can work with an IR spot), and chances are you could trade Klingberg straight across for those guys if the other GMs aren't actually working out true value.

And it's not an either/or choice with peripherals. Why would you try and backfill them from the waiver wire if you could just systematically sacrifice a few points here and there to get big boosts in peripherals? That's usually all it takes.

A smart owner, like the op, could likely trade Klingberg for Ristolainen ++, end up way ahead on straight player value (in this format Risto > Klinger) and benefit from the "+++"...

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow. Come back 24 hours later and 11 responses....thanks every one. Glad I could generate a discussion!!

All great take aways. Unfortunately there's no more trading in my league and won't be any more until next season.

Definitely understand the weaknesses in periphers with some of the guys, but the PPPs and SOGs aren't as bad as we think.

In regards to Klingberg......I have debated keeping him, but I would rather keep Hedman and I have a tough time justifying two Dmen....but maybe?

Food for thought on all points!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kooter109 View Post
    Wow. Come back 24 hours later and 11 responses....thanks every one. Glad I could generate a discussion!!

All great take aways. Unfortunately there's no more trading in my league and won't be any more until next season.

Definitely understand the weaknesses in periphers with some of the guys, but the PPPs and SOGs aren't as bad as we think.

In regards to Klingberg......I have debated keeping him, but I would rather keep Hedman and I have a tough time justifying two Dmen....but maybe?

Food for thought on all points!!

When debating between keeping a forward or D, I always go with the Dman just because there are far fewer top end guys. Atleast that's how I justify it.