Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 3rd grade baseball team raffling off AR-15 in Missouri.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: 3rd grade baseball team raffling off AR-15 in Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    It would be essentially suicidal for someone to attempt to engage in an OK-Corral style gun battle against an adversary armed with an AR.
    Even cops with vests and hundreds of hours of training are afraid to go up against an AR.
    I've tried engaging an AR-toting enemy with my pistol many times in PUBG on Xbox. Your story checks out... it literally never ever works out well for me.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    Can you imagine. Even trained police officers and or military personnel would not be expected to enter the fray without proper backup, weapons, and intel, and yet we are going to ask teachers to try and pull off a miracle hail mary and attempt to be a hero for a few extra bucks a month. This is the stupidity of our commander in chief in full display. And yes, that is my own personal opinion.
    The resource officer on duty in the school in Florida made the safe decision to wait outside and watch for the shooter to leave. Even he wasn't brave/stupid enough to try to engage someone with an AR. He was forced to resign because of public pressure, but he followed protocol. Protocol here resulted in him looking like a coward and 17 kids being dead though. So what would the protocol for armed teachers be, and how big do we expect all of their balls to be?

Just mind blowing that POTUS would even think it's a good idea to SUGGEST this.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    The resource officer on duty in the school in Florida made the safe decision to wait outside and watch for the shooter to leave. Even he wasn't brave/stupid enough to try to engage someone with an AR. He was forced to resign because of public pressure, but he followed protocol. Protocol here resulted in him looking like a coward and 17 kids being dead though. So what would the protocol for armed teachers be, and how big do we expect all of their balls to be?

Just mind blowing that POTUS would even think it's a good idea to SUGGEST this.
    Since Columbine, it has been protocal for the first responders to enter the building and engage with the shooter, and at least distract him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Since Columbine, it has been protocal for the first responders to enter the building and engage with the shooter, and at least distract him.
    REALLY??? Dear lord. That goes directly against the training I've been told about for literally every other circumstance involving an armed assailant. There's effectively no situation that the SOP for police (as far as has been explained to me by the head of Hamilton Police Service's tactical division) to never engage unless you have backup, and guarantees of superior armament, regardless of hostages etc. I know police have considerable training, and putting yourself in harm's way is part of the job, but you could not pay me enough to go up against someone with an AR alone while all I'm holding is a 9mm sidearm.

I know that's the argument a lot of people have for the militarization of police tactics, but I still feel like keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them is a better option than to just hit back harder. Same reason I think arming teachers is stupid. You're just putting more bullets in the air, and creating more confusion than there needs to be when the people with the right training show up.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    REALLY??? Dear lord. That goes directly against the training I've been told about for literally every other circumstance involving an armed assailant. There's effectively no situation that the SOP for police (as far as has been explained to me by the head of Hamilton Police Service's tactical division) to never engage unless you have backup, and guarantees of superior armament, regardless of hostages etc. I know police have considerable training, and putting yourself in harm's way is part of the job, but you could not pay me enough to go up against someone with an AR alone while all I'm holding is a 9mm sidearm.

I know that's the argument a lot of people have for the militarization of police tactics, but I still feel like keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them is a better option than to just hit back harder. Same reason I think arming teachers is stupid. You're just putting more bullets in the air, and creating more confusion than there needs to be when the people with the right training show up.
    I just seen this on CNN about an hour ago.

I think if we had an epidemic of mass shootings here, our protocol could change as well.

Dobber Sports Star

And apparently, the armed Resource Deputy assigned to protect the school in Parkland decided to stay outside and not engage the killer as the shootings unfolded. He was in uniform, armed and on duty. He was a deputy for over 30 years, and has military service. He has since been suspended and has resigned. Do people still think that we should be arming school teachers to prevent these types of mass shootings?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/us/fl...ing/index.html

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

These "problems" with arming teachers that people keep citing are trivial.

So it isn't reasonable to expect a teacher to engage an AR-15 toting maniac with a pistol, you say? Easy fix. Give every teacher an AR-15 and a handful of fragmentation grenades. Or provide every classroom with a shark with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head. Who would want to mess with that?

We just aren't thinking creatively enough, that's all.

Dobber Sports Titan

How does the world entertain teachers getting guns but freakout at the sight of a peanut in the school?

Also, I've seen teachers breakdown crying because kids are not behaving, lets give someone who's under a ton of stress constantly a gun (this is a bit tongue in cheek).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm $ure the NRA are pu$hing for every teacher to be armed. That would be great new$ for all firearm manufacturer$ $hareholder$ and would al$o mean bigger donation$ to political partie$.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    little off-topic, I know plenty of pro-gun people, i've honestly never met a single climate change denier. Seems like another attempt to lump any pro-gun sentiment in with the crazy people.
    im not a climate cghange denier...but that kind of shrugging off of climate change denier people as crazy is how you get a nation so divided like the USA is now.
    I imagine there's plenty of climate change denier people who could crush you in a political debate revolving around facts donions.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How does the world entertain teachers getting guns but freakout at the sight of a peanut in the school?

Also, I've seen teachers breakdown crying because kids are not behaving, lets give someone who's under a ton of stress constantly a gun (this is a bit tongue in cheek).
    Not the world.. ONLY America. ONLY.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    im not a climate cghange denier...but that kind of shrugging off of climate change denier people as crazy is how you get a nation so divided like the USA is now.
    I imagine there's plenty of climate change denier people who could crush you in a political debate revolving around facts donions.
    I see what youre doing...weak attempt a whole day later. I must have hit a nerve disagreeing with your point that suggested the billions of religious people around the world are all devoid of facts and incapable of thinking outside of asking there magical sky wizard as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I'm $ure the NRA are pu$hing for every teacher to be armed. That would be great new$ for all firearm manufacturer$ $hareholder$ and would al$o mean bigger donation$ to political partie$.
    Actually, do you know what drives gun sales more then anything in the USA by a wide factor? The media talking about gun control.
    Besides, I didnt hear Trump or the NRA say they'd force teachers to be armed, but allow people who already have firearm experience, or want to get better trained, to carry a firearm at school and act as security, I imagine these type of people already owned guns, so its not really creating new sales in some grand NRA conp$iracy to profit.
    The idea of armed teachers is off-putting to me, but if the person is trained and has experience(ex-cop/military/years of training), and the weapon is safely stored, I could maybe be convinced, only volunteers tho, cant mandate teachers to do it.

Dobber Sports Star

I see what youre doing...weak attempt a whole day later. I must have hit a nerve disagreeing with your point that suggested the billions of religious people around the world are all devoid of facts and incapable of thinking outside of asking there magical sky wizard as you put it.
    If you're going to call people crazy/stupid/etc, you should work on your spelling and grammar first.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Explain to me what the difference is then between what you did and what I did? Why is it not ok for me to find it silly for people to hear voices from invisible people in the sky, but just fine for you to call people crazy who don't believe in climate change? Glad you see what I am doing - that's a step. About half the population of the USA wouldn't even get that far.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Is there a magical sky wizard in world of warcraft? I've never played.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4