Page 77 of 90 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1348

Thread: 2018 DobberBaseball League

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: 2018 DobberBaseball League

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think the idea is to take advantage of knowing 100% the situation as the pitching team. You can bring in a guy who is lights out against the top 3 guys (Serg from Rays vs Angels) and know for a fact you'll get those 3outs (80% chance lets say). It's about knowing you have an 80% chance of getting the outs with no one on base.

Your starter could go 5 innings, and with 1 guy on, Trout comes up to bat and you bring in Serg. Trout gets that 20% chance hit and the guy on base scores. I'm no baseball expert by any means, which means outside the box thinking is super out of my realm, but I'm (now) thinking it's gotta do with the potential of guys on base.

And you get to settle your young "starter" in against lesser hitters. You wouldn't do this strategy with Kluber, but with the guys the Rays are throwing out there, could help mentally too.
    I definitely agree with the ideas behind it and see how it could work.

I still don't like the math behind it. In a 162 game season and the Rays starters being 80% 'inexperienced' That results in ~130 games that you are tossing out an inexperienced starter.

Now with Romo pitching 3 outs in a game, how many times can he do that in a year? 50-55?

So out of 130 games, Romo could potentially start 50-55. How do you know which of those games your inexperienced starter is going to come in and pitch 5 decent innings and give your team a chance to win. Its a guessing game of when to use Romo in a way that you think will lead to a win.

But a manager has more control if he sees how the inexperienced starter does for 5 innings and than at that time makes the decision if Romo will help in a win or if he should use a different reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Did he get a RBI on the play that started it all in Game 5 vs the Jays???
    He should have! haha

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I definitely agree with the ideas behind it and see how it could work.

I still don't like the math behind it. In a 162 game season and the Rays starters being 80% 'inexperienced' That results in ~130 games that you are tossing out an inexperienced starter.

Now with Romo pitching 3 outs in a game, how many times can he do that in a year? 50-55?

So out of 130 games, Romo could potentially start 50-55. How do you know which of those games your inexperienced starter is going to come in and pitch 5 decent innings and give your team a chance to win. Its a guessing game of when to use Romo in a way that you think will lead to a win.

But a manager has more control if he sees how the inexperienced starter does for 5 innings and than at that time makes the decision if Romo will help in a win or if he should use a different reliever.
    Ya it's def a work in progress. You need a RP that is willing to come out as a starter, and not just one you would need 3-4 willing to do this once a week lets say.

On paper, the typical pitching staff would be like:
    Ace, good pitcher, young pitcher, average pitcher, wild card (either young, old and eats innings, or constantly fluctuating). For your avg/wild card pitcher depending on the match up you'd work your RP as a starter. So 2-3times/week you'd be starting an RP lets say. You'd have 2 RPs maybe who you'd always roll out as your Starting RP?

I dunno, like I said I'm not good enough with this to formulate a gameplan, but I can see the benefits.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

I can also see it impacting team's lineups and general momentum. A lot of teams have certain players who only start against certain handed SPs. But now if the RPSP is only going to pitch 2 innings to start the game.....are you now going to start Hitter A who can't hit righties when they're going to pull their lefty RP after 2 innings??

Dobber Sports Titan

I can also see it impacting team's lineups and general momentum. A lot of teams have certain players who only start against certain handed SPs. But now if the RPSP is only going to pitch 2 innings to start the game.....are you now going to start Hitter A who can't hit righties when they're going to pull their lefty RP after 2 innings??
    And when teams usually only carry 3 bench guys (1 being a back up catcher), I can't see them doing a "start a guy who will do better against the RP, then switch to the real starter when the starting pitcher comes in".

Dobber Sports Immortal

And when teams usually only carry 3 bench guys (1 being a back up catcher), I can't see them doing a "start a guy who will do better against the RP, then switch to the real starter when the starting pitcher comes in".
    Exxxxxxxactly. It'll cause a little bit of chaos!

Big Daddy

The day has finally come. Daniel Murphy to start in a rehab game tomorrow.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    The day has finally come. Daniel Murphy to start in a rehab game tomorrow.
    And now Alex Colome has been traded to Seattle. Maybe this is the beginning of my fantasy fortunes turning around!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    And now Alex Colome has been traded to Seattle. Maybe this is the beginning of my fantasy fortunes turning around!
    Isn't that worse for his value?? He won't overtake Diaz....

Isn't that worse for his value?? He won't overtake Diaz....
    Holds on a better team, I think it improves his value in our league
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Holds on a better team, I think it improves his value in our league
    Right. But not many set up men end up having more Holds than a consistent closer does Saves.

Right. But not many set up men end up having more Holds than a consistent closer does Saves.
    True. And I think that the Colome trade is the first of a few that makes it so the rays don’t win many
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

True. And I think that the Colome trade is the first of a few that makes it so the rays don’t win many
    That's fair. Archer is definitely gone soon.

Dobber Sports Titan

Kershaw to start Thursday. finallly.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Kershaw to start Thursday. finallly.
    That is great news for baseball.

You know what else is.....me dropping Byron Buxton.