Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever think about quitting?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Do you ever think about quitting?

I've been thinking about quitting fantasy hockey after this season quite a bit lately.

It's been fun with some ups and downs (mostly ups to be honest) over the last 1.5 years. It does take up a decent amount m of my time. That said I retired last year so I have the time right now. Im in a league with some friends and most of the GMs don't put anywhere near the effort I do and it shows. At times it has strained a few of the relationships but nothing serious.

I admittedly have a bit of an addictive personality and part of the reason I retired was because I do everything 110 percent or I don't do it at all. This has been the story for fantasy hockey. I have a hard time just doing things (anything really) a little bit or just for fun, I get way too competitive.

Just wondering if anyone here has thought about quitting or can relate?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Do you ever think about quitting?

Firstly, congrats on your retirement. I'm of age as well but won't be joining you just yet.

I've thought about quitting a few times over the years, but I think I would miss it too much. Hockey is the only thing that helps me get through winter. I look forward to the games every night after working all day. I am also competitive and a fairly active manager. I think every league has guys that don't put in enough effort. One guy has only been on our site once since the season started. As long as he is paying his dues I guess.

Anyways, keep enjoying your hobby and your retirement.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Not really. I will admit, when drafting season rolls around and I've just drafted for NFL and MLB fantasy is in playoffs, I do fantasy hockey. But quit....never?

However I would say as a fantasy sport, hockey is my least favorite. Less games, schedule is so unpredictable (Im only in H2H) in that some weeks you can have 2 games, others 4.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont see me quitting fantasy hockey anytime soon. I don't find it nearly as frustrating as fantasy football.

What else are you going to do with your time? Watch pron? LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Firstly, congrats on your retirement. I'm of age as well but won't be joining you just yet.

I've thought about quitting a few times over the years, but I think I would miss it too much. Hockey is the only thing that helps me get through winter. I look forward to the games every night after working all day. I am also competitive and a fairly active manager. I think every league has guys that don't put in enough effort. One guy has only been on our site once since the season started. As long as he is paying his dues I guess.

Anyways, keep enjoying your hobby and your retirement.
    Thanks Godin. I'm not exactly of age (34) and am sure I will find something else to do with my time. It's nice to be able to choose the work rather than feel obligated to do it.

I received a few private messages from folks who seem to feel very similar and go up and down with it. Thanks for those messages as it is always nice to know there are others out there feeling similar.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy lots of what comes with fantasy hockey it just seems I could or should be spending that time more productively sometimes. I guess we'll see how we feel in the new year.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

One thing you might want to consider if tying to find a league that has managers with your degree of knowledge and dedication. It's easy to lose interest if you are in a league where other people are just dogging it all the time....

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Thanks Godin. I'm not exactly of age (34) and am sure I will find something else to do with my time. It's nice to be able to choose the work rather than feel obligated to do it.

I received a few private messages from folks who seem to feel very similar and go up and down with it. Thanks for those messages as it is always nice to know there are others out there feeling similar.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy lots of what comes with fantasy hockey it just seems I could or should be spending that time more productively sometimes. I guess we'll see how we feel in the new year.
    34? Thats way too young to retire. Great position to be in as, yes, you can work because you want to.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Awesome post. Congratulations on your retirement. I am like you very addictive personality and do everything at 110%as well. I am involved in fantasy hockey because my brother talked me into taking over a team last year. Even then it took a lot of help from him to light the fire, for weeks he was setting my roster. I have a lot of interests and at times I too wonder if this is the best use of my time. But I came to the conclusion, at least for now, that putting in a certain amount of time each day and each week in is fine. Fortunately resources and people like the folks here at Dobber make it that much more enjoyable. Thanks all and have a great holiday season!
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Administrator

1) Find a more serious league that is in alignment with your beliefs. It won't be easy and there will be some trial and error but it's possible to find a more ideal situation.
    2) Understand that every person is different and regardless of the league there will be people that trail behind the pack.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yes, I do. I've quit many times.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Monster

Never thought of quitting fantasy hockey, and to be honest I'm not sure I ever will. I have thought of quitting leagues though...even ones I'm very invested in. Sometimes things get heated to the point where almost want to just delete your team and get out of there, but I've avoided that so far lol.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I've been thinking about quitting fantasy hockey after this season quite a bit lately.

It's been fun with some ups and downs (mostly ups to be honest) over the last 1.5 years. It does take up a decent amount m of my time. That said I retired last year so I have the time right now. Im in a league with some friends and most of the GMs don't put anywhere near the effort I do and it shows. At times it has strained a few of the relationships but nothing serious.

I admittedly have a bit of an addictive personality and part of the reason I retired was because I do everything 110 percent or I don't do it at all. This has been the story for fantasy hockey. I have a hard time just doing things (anything really) a little bit or just for fun, I get way too competitive.

Just wondering if anyone here has thought about quitting or can relate?
    i have been thinking about it as well... This is my 4th year, 8/13 1st year, 4th in second year, 1st last year, and 2nd this year so far. I love it but in order to do it right and be competitive it takes time.
    10 Team H2H Fantrax League, Points (Cats), Daily lineup, 3 claims / wk.
    F - 5, D - 4, G - 2, Skt - 1, Bench - 6, IR - 3

F - P. Kane, Zibanejad, Couturier, E. Lindholm, Kopitar, B. Schenn, Kadri, Monahan, Hintz, Rust, Nylander
    D - Burns, D. Hamilton, Girard, Andersson
    G - Hellebuyck, Andersen, Samsonov

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Monster

I know what you mean when you feel like you are the only manager putting in 100%. Most of my leagues I feel like I'm the only person who loves hockey. But, I would never quit fantasy hockey. I do lose some interest in it, especially lately since my best friend and fantasy hockey mentor is very ill and I haven't been able to talk to him in 5 months ... that makes me want to step away for abit as I feel very depressed because all we ever talked about was either hockey or life in general ... but would never think of quitting fantasy hockey all together.

I think you just have to find the right league, there is one league that I am no longer in where it had some of the craziest GM's in the world. Not in a bad way but a good way. I remember when I first joined, I would log in and as soon as they seen me online they would be messaging me to do deals like the vultures they were lol. That was my most favorite league ever.

Some of the best relationships I've made were from fantasy hockey. I will never walk away from that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

This is my forth year. I was in only one league for 3 years than joined 3 more. I find it a bit overwhelming and tend not to focus as much. If you are in multiple leagues try doing less leagues which I will be next year. Or perhaps do some leagues where you only do the draft and have no moves. Or a bunch of box pools. You would still get some satisfaction without all the work.

Dobber Sports Master

I'd be pretty lost without fantasy sports so unless something drastically changed in my life I doubt I quit .

Sometimes I join too many casual 1 year leagues because lets face it , by late aug/early sept we're drooling for some draft action