Thread: Tolvanen - WJC Hype?

The Great One

Default Tolvanen - WJC Hype?

Im thinking about grabbing Tolvanen. Itd be very tough to keep him but I think hed be a great trade chip at the deadline if he has a good showing. I could maybe be bullish and keep him- but itd be tough especially in a year where im competing (head of the class). Worth dropping a sam bennett? Also just out of curiosity- hows he stack up to uber prospect pettersen??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Tolvanen - WJC Hype?

If Tolvanen has a weak tournament (and thus little value) and Bennett gets picked up, what might your other free agents options be? I'd consider it, but it would help to know the replaceability of the bottom of you roster. Also, what are the details for this league? What's it going to cost you in day-to-day competitiveness to keep a prospect on your roster?

Dobber Sports Deity

I assume this isn't for the league in your signature because I don't see either Bennett or Pettersson there.

Can you post your full team and setup. Also, when you say it would be tough to keep him, what does that mean? Do you not have a minors system?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

There are no guarantees tolv plays next year in smashville. You need to be able to hold him without deadening a roster space. Or be okay with that for this and maybe next season
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

We need more information about your league. It sounds like there's no farm system, so how many prospects (non-NHL players) are currently owned?

Tolvanen is close to Pettersson in value, so if Pettersson is owned and highly valued in your league, then adding Tolvanen and flipping him after the WJC sounds like a solid idea. I'm just wondering how he's still a free agent after the great start to his KHL career. Tolvanen has had a lot of hype all season long, so I'd be surprised if the WJC is suddenly going to make him much more valuable. But I guess in some leagues, it's possible.

The Great One

16 team keeper- 10+ years running
    G-4, A-3, SOG-0.5, PIM-0.5.
    4 man bench- 2 goalie max- daily starts.
    12 keepers- no farm.

F- Malkin, Forsberg, Draisaitl, E Kane, Skinner, Aho, Namestikinov, Saad, Boeser
    D- Byfuglien, Ghost, Trouba, Heed
    G- Vasy
    BN- Keller, Bennett, E Lindholm, Darling.

First in my conference- but that being said its actually a significantly worse conference (I have 14 wins compared to a 3-way tie for first in the other conference with 18 wins apiece). Definitely going for the win this year though. Think I included everything...

Dobber Sports Jedi

in a 12 keeper? no, I'm not burning a keeper spot on Tolvanen, who likely gets AHL time to start next season - which is what you'd have to do, I can't see any other GM keeping a prospect as a 12th keeper either. - he would have to entirely blow the braintrust away to make the Preds opening night roster.

The Great One

I hear ya. Itrs a 16 teamer though so more prospects are kept than youd think. I picked up Keller after the WJCs last year (was re-buuilding year though- so different scenario). Kyle Connor was kept- Ho Sang- just saying youd be surprised. In fact Pettersen is already picked up by a re-builder (which is actually what triggered this logic- lol!).

I could pick up a guys like Tuch, Tom Wilson if the Tolvanen gambit fails. Ive actually got a secret weapon on waivers but i dont want to mention him because i think hes slipped a lot of GMs minds (hopefully even typing that isnt too much of a givaway- hahaha!). I dont know what to make of Bennett- just got him off waivers last week- so its hard to decide...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I hear ya. Itrs a 16 teamer though so more prospects are kept than youd think. I picked up Keller after the WJCs last year (was re-buuilding year though- so different scenario). Kyle Connor was kept- Ho Sang- just saying youd be surprised. In fact Pettersen is already picked up by a re-builder (which is actually what triggered this logic- lol!).

I could pick up a guys like Tuch, Tom Wilson if the Tolvanen gambit fails. Ive actually got a secret weapon on waivers but i dont want to mention him because i think hes slipped a lot of GMs minds (hopefully even typing that isnt too much of a givaway- hahaha!). I dont know what to make of Bennett- just got him off waivers last week- so its hard to decide...
    if that's the case in your league.. then yes.. I'd grab him. he won't last to the medal round.