Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipychov back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Shipychov back to the KHL

I am the only who thinks that this whole Shipachyov fiasco tells us once again that the KHL as a league is no better than the AHL?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I am the only who thinks that this whole Shipachyov fiasco tells us once again that the KHL as a league is no better than the AHL?
    I'm sure you're commenting this also in the Dadonov thread since he only has 14 points in 11 games? Or maybe in the Radulov thread since he only has 64 points in 88 games since coming over?

I mean, sure, draw massive conclusions based on one player who never even got a chance to play.

Administrator

KHL is just fine as a league. Not all of their players can play in the NHL successfully but many can.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Or, let's put it this way. If Jarome Iginla signed a big money contract to play in the KHL but after two games the KHL team realizes his playing style isn't a great fit with their team and sends Iginla to their farm team. Would Iginla be a douchebag if he wanted to leave Russia at that point? Should he suck it up and ride the Russian buses to prove he's a team player?

The hatred towards Russians (and pretty much everyone outside North America) is rather strong here for whatever reason...
    Yes if they said, “Hey, we can send you down to this farm team, we don’t expect to, but if it does happen it’s to help you develop. It’ll be for a limited time, you’ll end up getting paid the same though”.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Yes if they said, “Hey, we can send you down to this farm team, we don’t expect to, but if it does happen it’s to help you develop. It’ll be for a limited time, you’ll end up getting paid the same though”.
    Sure, of course that happens. A KHL team says Iginla that they'll sign him to a big money contract and there's a chance they send him to Russian purgatory, and Iginla is like "Sure, that sounds great! Where do I sign?"

Dobber Sports Titan

Sure, of course that happens. A KHL team says Iginla that they'll sign him to a big money contract and there's a chance they send him to Russian purgatory, and Iginla is like "Sure, that sounds great! Where do I sign?"
    You don't know that. The point is no one knows what was promised but the people involved.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I pretty much agree. Maybe it's slightly better. It definitely has some individual talent that is superior. But as a whole, I don't think it's far off from the AHL.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Fair enough, but I don't believe this conversation ever happened. If it did, he'd have been on a two-way deal.
    I think McPhee didn't care about the two-way deal because he knew Ship would bolt anyway if he was demoted.
    This thing stinks more and more, the more I think about it.
    Pretty sure 2-way contracts are capped at a certain dollar figure, like 1mill or something...But that's splitting hairs at this point.

The Great One

Develop at 30 years old?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Fair enough, but I don't believe this conversation ever happened. If it did, he'd have been on a two-way deal.
    I think McPhee didn't care about the two-way deal because he knew Ship would bolt anyway if he was demoted.
    This thing stinks more and more, the more I think about it.
    You can't offer more than $925k on a two-way deal, so there's no way Shipachyov would have signed that.

You don't know that. The point is no one knows what was promised but the people involved.
    How about the fact that Vegas gave Shipachyov a no-move clause but that was rejected by the NHL? Why would they have offered him that if their plan was to send him to the AHL?

When a team offers you $9M over two years, they don't do it so that you'll play in the AHL. Just look at the opportunity Dadonov has received in Florida. And Shipachyov was always the better player between those two.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Develop at 30 years old?
    NA ice/style of play could be an adjustment. Playing a physical 82game schedule vs 60game less physical game. Even learning English, communicating on the bench would take some time?

The Great One

I would agree if he was given a chance to play on NA ice/style.

Playing a physical 82 game schedule vs a 60 game less physical schedule would be true if he was sent down later in the year.....Not the first 10 games or whatever it was.

Communication shouldn't be a reason to send someone to the minors. If anything it worsens it.

Although I haven't formed an opinion on the matter yet the reasons you stated don't hold any water.

Dobber Sports Titan

You can't offer more than $925k on a two-way deal, so there's no way Shipachyov would have signed that.

How about the fact that Vegas gave Shipachyov a no-move clause but that was rejected by the NHL? Why would they have offered him that if their plan was to send him to the AHL?

When a team offers you $9M over two years, they don't do it so that you'll play in the AHL. Just look at the opportunity Dadonov has received in Florida. And Shipachyov was always the better player between those two.
    The original contract had a NTC I thought, and do we know if that was something Vegas liked, or was it something Ship wanted, and Vegas said fine, here is a 2yr, 6mill (3/yr) contract.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I still believe McPhee might have had mutual termination in his mind as a backup plan if things went sour.
    That was definitely the plan. They didn't see him as a fit and they knew they couldn't trade him because he hasn't played and has that 2nd year which hurts his value to other teams right now, so they wanted to get rid of him and knew he wouldn't play in the AHL and instead would terminate the contract because he can get similar money from the KHL. He might actually get more money from the KHL but at least the same. Money was never the reason Shipachyov wanted to play in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The original contract had a NTC I thought, and do we know if that was something Vegas liked, or was it something Ship wanted, and Vegas said fine, here is a 2yr, 6mill (3/yr) contract.
    Sorry about that, you're right. But the contract with NTC was for the same value, that was confirmed by someone at the time.