Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipychov back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Shipychov back to the KHL

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    For all the people giving Shipychov shit, I'd love to see you commit to a senior manager job in St. Petersburg, Move your family there, have them tell you that they just have too many mid-level employees right now, and send you to Kiev to be a factory worker until they sort it out, and see how long you last as in the factory, when also your old job sends you an email and says "we'd love to have you back at any time" and oh don't forget at your old job you were one of the most popular and well liked employees in the company.
    Some people get all wrapped up in a team-first mentality as fans and forget that players are actual people with actual motivations and actual lives outside of hockey.

Dobber Sports Titan

Here’s a job offer, but we don’t have employees, we have a half-built building, and our employees are actually cast offs from other companies with contracts they signed that we must honour, and written in very likely all of them is we can’t move them to another company we own. But we won’t have it in your contract that we can’t move you, but don’t worry you’ll make the same money.

Would you like to uproot your family? Your contract is guaranteed right now, but after we get everyone from the other companies, we’ll see if you’re still a fit cause we would still like you to be a Knight then. “No! I’ll sign that now. GIVE ME CONTRACT”

*6 MONTHS LATER*

You did well in our “group dry runs” here, not amazing, and you’ve been doing half the job really. Not doing our Defensive Paperwork well, and you’ve kinda had a hard time communicating with your employees, which is understandable due to your language barrier. However sorry, we got employees we thought were really going to fit in a top role, but we’re going to train them and see if they are a fit. You’ll have to move here, but we’re doing this solely for paperwork right now. You can stay in the city, but you’re going to be “In” this place.

*2 WEEKS LATER*

Ok you’re up! So-and-so is sick, you get your job we wanted you in!

*1 WEEK LATER*

You, although had that one good idea, have been lethargic actually. Not really trying if you will. You actually have to go to that place now, and we’re going to see if you are actually a fit for us. You can look for another job if you want.

*1 DAY LATER*

UGHHH I’m done with you guys! ITS 100% MANAGEMENTS FAULT! You said I’d get a chance! I was not informed in all the points that were available for someone to look up ONLINE!

Management didn’t do this well, but Ship isn’t without blame. This is the point I’m trying to make. Someone didn’t give Ship all the info, or he didn’t care.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Expert

or GMGM gave Ship a NMC in a handshake deal since it couldn't be put into the contract and renegged on that. That's just speculation on my part though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I did correct myself later I thought saying, "First obstacle in his new life he picked". I was certain I said it, and another post about the signing bonus, but i dont see it now.

But I'm serious. The guy isn't being highly sought after via trade for a reason. There's enough teams that need a C2 out there. Maybe his agent is crap because it seemed they looked for a trade for a day, then they wanted to leave for the KHL. To me it seemed like this guy is going back to the league he's known success, which in my head says he wasn't serious about this move to the NHL.
    You?re head is wrong. He moved himself and his family across the world to a country he didn?t know and a language he didn?t speak. That?s committing. To the NHL. Not the AHL. The NHL. Where he?s not playing.

It?s hilariously naive of you to think he?s in the AHL because of performance and not because of McPhee?s laughable incompetence he?s displayed since day 1.

Dobber Sports Pro

Good luck getting N.Gusev to come over and play now McPhee, or any KHL'er with a memory longer then a goldfish.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Nobody is to "blame" here lol. Both the team and player are doing what they feel is best for themselves, and the team was allowed to send him to the AHL. Nothing wrong with that.

However, the team handled this poorly because they are in asset-management mode and they are trying to create value to help them down the road. Shipachyov could have been be a skilled forward to help their up-and-comers produce and gain confidence in the NHL. He could have also been a good trade deadline chip at the end of next year. Neither scenario is a possibility now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

You?re head is wrong. He moved himself and his family across the world to a country he didn?t know and a language he didn?t speak. That?s committing. To the NHL. Not the AHL. The NHL. Where he?s not playing.

It?s hilariously naive of you to think he?s in the AHL because of performance and not because of McPhee?s laughable incompetence he?s displayed since day 1.
    Where you in the meeting when McPhee met and signed with Vegas? Was there any mention of the potential that he spent some time in the AHL? To get accustomed to the game? To allow for Vegas to make a move to make more room for him? OR was it the media that played it up that he was guaranteed an NHL spot, a #1C spot? We were not in the room so we can not be 100% positive that he moved over here with word that McPhee promised him to be the #1C from day one. I am pretty sure that the contract that both parties signed did not say that Vegas #1C was to be him and only him all year long. Both parties signed the contract... a 2-way contract that allows for him to be sent to the minors.

Yes, he showed commitment by moving over here... but sometimes you have to prove your commitment as well. Ship could have proved his commitment by going and playing in the AHL until the time was right and everything was worked out. If he was a true team player then he would have. Vegas was winning games...Vegas was hoping to move some 1-way contracts to make room for him... If Ship was truly committed to playing for a Team in the NHL rather than playing for Himself in the NHL then he would have patiently and commit-tingly waited until the right time.

The Great One

Whats the issue here?

Dobber Sports Titan

He wasn't amazing in pre-season. I see no issue making someone who's played the majority of his hockey in a different "style" of hockey to go to the minors to learn to play it. If him never going to the AHL was said (Ship you will not go to the AHL ever) then yeah it sucks, but if it wasn't then oh well. Guys sign 1-way deals and end up in the Minors all the time, 1-way deals are practically a "You will not go to the AHL" deal. Guys sign 1-ways just so it's a harder decision to make to send someone down.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT WAS SAID BETWEEN THE TWO (three including the agent) DURING THE MEETINGS. Like you can't say "it's laughable" without knowing Ship was promised he'd never go. The sap story of "Omg I feel so bad for Ship, he doesn't deserve this". Only doesn't if he was promised he wouldn't move, but even then it's not like the team did anything illegal with him. They did what they thought was best for the team.

It literally all depends on what was said. But I don't feel that bad for him because of what happened. If it happened to him with another team after finding a trading partner, lighting it up every game he plays, and doing well, then yeah, I'd feel bad.

Also, don't you hate it when the apostrophe's getting changed to question marks? Really is annoying to read lol.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Where you in the meeting when McPhee met and signed with Vegas? Was there any mention of the potential that he spent some time in the AHL? To get accustomed to the game? To allow for Vegas to make a move to make more room for him? OR was it the media that played it up that he was guaranteed an NHL spot, a #1C spot? We were not in the room so we can not be 100% positive that he moved over here with word that McPhee promised him to be the #1C from day one. I am pretty sure that the contract that both parties signed did not say that Vegas #1C was to be him and only him all year long. Both parties signed the contract... a 2-way contract that allows for him to be sent to the minors.

Yes, he showed commitment by moving over here... but sometimes you have to prove your commitment as well. Ship could have proved his commitment by going and playing in the AHL until the time was right and everything was worked out. If he was a true team player then he would have. Vegas was winning games...Vegas was hoping to move some 1-way contracts to make room for him... If Ship was truly committed to playing for a Team in the NHL rather than playing for Himself in the NHL then he would have patiently and commit-tingly waited until the right time.
    He actually had a 1-way deal, but was waiver exempt. He still made the same in the AHL as he did in the NHL. 2-way contracts are "If you're in teh NHL you make xxxx, if you're in the AHL you make xxx"

Dobber Sports Initiate

To the shit talkers... Were you calling French Canadians D-bags when Jonathan Drouin refused to report and demanded a trade? Or were you guys just lapping it up?

Jonathan Droiun... You know those French Canadians have such attitude problems... Why won't he report to the AHL? He's such a bastard - lol

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As per Elliotte Friedman today in 31 Thoughts:

"5. Vadim Shipachyov has told Vegas he wants his contract terminated so he can go back to Russia, and things will probably head in that direction. A couple of things have to be cleared up. If he does go back, Shipachyov must re-pay all but $86,000 of his $2-million signing bonus. It’s expected he will do that, which has people assuming he already has a KHL job lined up"

Already has a KHL job lined up? Do you think he had one foot in the KHL the whole time?
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypete88 View Post
    Do you think he had one foot in the KHL the whole time?
    No. He was a superstar in that league, all he had to do to get a job in the KHL again was have his agent make a phone call. I'm positive he came to N.America to play in the NHL, not leverage a deal in the KHL.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Russia has a very materialistic and often a very rough culture. This is not really surprising given their history. Not saying this is all Russians, but I think more so the culture as a whole. It really hasn't been that long since the USSR fell apart and since then the country itself has gone through a lot of turmoil. It's often thought the country itself is run by Oligarchs and Putin obviously is a bit of a dictator. They border on human rights violations and as a country is fairly conservative.

The attitude of Russian people varies of course but for multiple reasons it's often a culture of immediate returns and little leeway. It's also often a culture where ego and status are of great importance. Status especially is often more important than things we tend to value more in the west, at least on a regular level. Our celebrity culture is still fairly egotistical and status related, or privileged if you want to call it that. Russia however has an even greater divide between the privileged and the non privileged. It's not a surprise that a top hockey player growing up in that world has a sense of entitlement and privilege. I don't think it's that surprising that Shypy thinks this way. It's not positive in my opinion. But it's the way it is sometime.

I definitely don't agree with the "what did Vegas expect?" line of thinking. I don't know what he and his agent were told or discussed but I don't think any player, let alone one coming in from another league is above spending some time in the AHL. I doubt he would have been sent down for long.

Again not all Russian players or people are like this. But Shypy absolutely seems to have a sense of entitlement that is beyond his ability at the moment.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Wizard

For all the people giving Shipychov shit, I'd love to see you commit to a senior manager job in St. Petersburg, Move your family there, have them tell you that they just have too many mid-level employees right now, and send you to Kiev to be a factory worker until they sort it out, and see how long you last as in the factory, when also your old job sends you an email and says "we'd love to have you back at any time" and oh don't forget at your old job you were one of the most popular and well liked employees in the company.
    Or, let's put it this way. If Jarome Iginla signed a big money contract to play in the KHL but after two games the KHL team realizes his playing style isn't a great fit with their team and sends Iginla to their farm team. Would Iginla be a douchebag if he wanted to leave Russia at that point? Should he suck it up and ride the Russian buses to prove he's a team player?

The hatred towards Russians (and pretty much everyone outside North America) is rather strong here for whatever reason...