Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipychov back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Shipychov back to the KHL

If he was worried about getting made fun of for going to NA to play in the AHL, you think he'd actually want to stay and fight to get a roster spot.

Guy is sour and down on himself and doesn't want to face any tough obstacle. I don't blame him for not liking what went down in Vegas, but if he was truly fully into being in NA to be an NHLer, he would have fought harder.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If he was worried about getting made fun of for going to NA to play in the AHL, you think he'd actually want to stay and fight to get a roster spot.

Guy is sour and down on himself and doesn't want to face any tough obstacle. I don't blame him for not liking what went down in Vegas, but if he was truly fully into being in NA to be an NHLer, he would have fought harder.
    You're flavoring this with your NA bias. Russia is a much different place than Canada. I do business with Russians and have had to travel there a number of times for work. (Which doesn't make me an expert). However, there is something to be said about respect and about portraying your intentions and showing your excitement about something or someone. If you relegate something good to being a secondary option, you lose face and respect. And rightfully so, how would your wife/girlfriend feel if you said, "sorry babe, you're on the B team until I figure out my dating roster of other options." She'd be leaving asap.

This is how respect with business options is treated in Russia. Russia is a dangerous place to business and has plenty of scavengers/sharks running around. Relying on how someone treats you from the beginning is a very important aspect of doing business there. When I went to Russia the first time, our hosts rolled out the red carpet and treated us with the utmost curtesy and respect. We were VIP's.

I agree that many Russians have a bad rap, or are given a bad rap. It's just important to remember that culturally, it is a very different place.

Administrator

It's also worth noting how difficult it was on his family to make the transition. That plus Ship doing the yo-yo between NHL and AHL created a bad situation. I'm glad he made a decision rather than just submit and do what was expected of him. People are right to take charge of their own lives.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Guy is sour and down on himself and doesn't want to face any tough obstacle.
    Really? He had a hockey career before coming to Vegas and worked himself up to being a top KHL scorer. No tough obstacles there? You can't dismiss the rest of his life just because it didn't happen in your favorite league for your entertainment.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    does he get to keep the 2.5 mil in signing bonus ?

*not sure if it was 2 or 2.5
    If it was a true signing bonus then yes, that is his to keep. MY understanding is that once you sign your name on the line... the 'signing bonus' is yours to keep. However there might be clauses worked into the contract that make it so that it is not a true signing bonus.

An example of this clause would be that the signing bonus must be repaid based on a pro-rated amount of the term of the contract. This is how my 'signing bonus' at work was written up. So really it is just an up front payment for salary in this case.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    I don't know, you kinda have to feel for the guy a little bit. Lights the lamp in Russia and is a 30 year old professional player. Signs a big contract and then gets put in the AHL in Chicago while his family is like WTH? Meanwhile, he looks like a joke to all of his buddies back home who are like, bro... so you left Russia to join the prospect league lol?! Imagine how many jokes were flying his way in Russian.

Meanwhile, he can't speak the language or really understand what is going on or really understand why he's getting jerked around. In Russia to treat an employee or a player like this is a massive insult. Russian culture is very different than North America and this type of stuff doesn't fly well there.

He could deal with all this BS here, feel insulted, take all the shit from his friends and family, or just go home, be famous, score goals, make a lot of money and have all his friends and family around him.

Seems to make a lot of sense... What doesn't make sense is how Vegas jerked him around and didn't properly manage his expectations.
    Nailed it.
    11 team keeper league with salary cap (points only)

MY TEAM (start 13F, 6D, 1G):
    FWDS: N. Kucherov, S. Stamkos, R. O’Reilly, J. Hughes, W. Karlsson, P. Kessel, B. Point, F. Vatrano, E. Pettersen, R. Rakell, C. Keller, N. Niederreiter, K. Labanc

DEF: J. Trouba, J. Morrissey, T. Krug, F. Hronek, S. Jones, D. Nurse
    GOALIE: A. Vasilevskiy
    BENCH: V. Mete, S. Niku, R. Andersson, T. Hirose, C. Glass, T. Jurco, C. McElhinney
    NOTES: We can only send players down if they get injured, otherwise they pass through waivers and we lose them for nothing + we have to pay half their cap.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Really? He had a hockey career before coming to Vegas and worked himself up to being a top KHL scorer. No tough obstacles there? You can't dismiss the rest of his life just because it didn't happen in your favorite league for your entertainment.
    His first obstacle in his new life*

It was poor asset management by LVK, they prolly promised him TOI as a C1, or C2 to start, he had the money to be promised in any team to get NHL time. But he decided to sign before seeing the team. He knew he could go to the AHL (if he didn't his agent should have known), and he needed to play well to stick, which he should have been aware of in preseason (seeing they had 30defense on their roster).

I just think he could have gone through this with a much more open minded. Depends what was told to him, but he played 6% of his contract and he's leaving.

Signing bonuses in the NHL are one time payments (99% of the time, only saying that because i wouldn't bet my life on it) and happen on July 1st. Notably why you get some odd timing trades like Bernier, or Kessel. The new team didn't want to pay the signing bonus.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nah, I can't see how Shipachyov can be blamed here at all for what went down and I hope he goes back and lights up the KHL and makes LV look stupid.

Vegas has all but destroyed any chance of getting foreign players to sign with them, aside from the ones that just want to go there and party which they wouldn't want anyway.

Those shitting on Ship for this are displaying a real show of ignorance IMO
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

I have no issue him doing what he wants to do, I just think it’s odd he didn’t have another kick at the can. There’s reasons why teams desperate for offense didn’t make a legit offer for him. I don’t think it’s Ships fault, I just think he could have done more. I blame McPhee for souring the relationship, but do think Ship could have taken the whole sour situation with a more open mind.

To me it all depends what McPhee told Ship was the plan with him. I will flip my side if McPhee said something like, “we’re moving a D soon, you’ll be in the NHL” every single time Ship asked. If he was strung along since day 1, that’s bad. If he was told exactly what was going to happen and told it may take a bit of time, but you’ll be an NHLer once there’s an injury or a move someone. But we likely won’t move someone till the deadline, then I don’t know how you can not say Ship was impatient.

This though, does have a big impact on Gusev I think. Ships going to tell him his experience with the GK to him, and no way Gusev doesn’t second guess a trip over the water to play in the NHL.

Administrator

To me it all depends what McPhee told Ship was the plan with him.
    Do you really think they told Ship during the courting process that there was a real chance they would send him back and forth between Vegas and Chicago??? Wow...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    I don't know, you kinda have to feel for the guy a little bit. Lights the lamp in Russia and is a 30 year old professional player. Signs a big contract and then gets put in the AHL in Chicago while his family is like WTH? Meanwhile, he looks like a joke to all of his buddies back home who are like, bro... so you left Russia to join the prospect league lol?! Imagine how many jokes were flying his way in Russian.

Meanwhile, he can't speak the language or really understand what is going on or really understand why he's getting jerked around. In Russia to treat an employee or a player like this is a massive insult. Russian culture is very different than North America and this type of stuff doesn't fly well there.

He could deal with all this BS here, feel insulted, take all the shit from his friends and family, or just go home, be famous, score goals, make a lot of money and have all his friends and family around him.

Seems to make a lot of sense... What doesn't make sense is how Vegas jerked him around and didn't properly manage his expectations.
    I completely agree.

I'd be pissed if I were him too. He didn't come over to the NHL to play in the minors.

Watch Ship absolutely destroy the non-NHL Canadian and American teams at the Olympics.
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...

Dobber Sports Jedi

I bet he'll be fine come the Olympics
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Do you really think they told Ship during the courting process that there was a real chance they would send him back and forth between Vegas and Chicago??? Wow...
    Could have been after the draft. "We got an opportunity to make our team better after acquiring all these D-men, sadly we have to do some creative movements which result in you waiting for your time to come". (this is not me agreeing McPhee did the right thing drafting all those D).

People wait a ton for their NHL shot due to roster reasons.

Maybe with him not playing, and the LV shooting, his wife wasn't happy there, and he wasn't happy with the situation and said, "This isn't worth it for me". Guy made his life choice and i respect that, i just would have thought he'd wait more than 30min of NHL playing time before he went back to his home country.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Run! View Post
    I've been to both.. Vegas is a much nicer place in the winter.

Seriously though... he wanted to come to the NHL for a reason. Playing three games and quitting is more of a personality issue than anything.
    1) it has better weather, yes. That doesn?t mean it?s much nicer, and definitely doesn?t mean it?s nicer to him and his family. Vegas is a nice place to go on a holiday. I prefer to live in Calgary, even in winter.

2) I doubt that reason was the weather.

3) key part is NHL. Not AHL. But sure, personality issues lol.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    I completely agree.

I'd be pissed if I were him too. He didn't come over to the NHL to play in the minors.

Watch Ship absolutely destroy the non-NHL Canadian and American teams at the Olympics.
    I agree with this. You have to imagine that he was promised a prominent role or an opportunity he couldn't pass up, otherwise why move? At 30 with a family and the top of your league, you're not moving for a chance to play in the NHL. That is NA bias at it's finest.

LV representatives don't go over there and say: "you're the best in the KHL, how would you like to move your family to the other side of the planet and float between minimal time at the NHL and our prospect team?"

Technically as LV is the employer and wanted him here, the onus was on them.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko