Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this ethical? What are your guys thoughts?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Is this ethical? What are your guys thoughts?

Points league pool. 1 year league. No transactions (Frozen League). We had a money draft the other day (20 some managers) and one team picked P.A. Parenteau who is unsigned, then after the draft the commish just edited the pick and inserted Alex Killorn to this persons team whom has 7 pts (note that we had this draft a few days into the season and all pts already accumulated count). They didn't announce it in the pool. I know we do this for fun but at the same time it's a money pool too. Personally I dont think it's fair when a guy took Ryan Kesler this draft and nobody said a DAM thing when in a league like this his value goes to ZERO when he is out until Christmas time. I was keeping track of EVERY pick and remember vividly when Parenteau was selected and have it down on paper which team it was too ... I looked back at the audit log on officepools and Alex Killorn was the last player inserted on this persons team. And Alex Killorn was not selected according to my papers and I made sure to write everyone down.

I wouldn't really have had too much of a problem with it really if they didn't go with the highest point guy available and just announced what they did when nobody else is allowed to go back and change their pick. A few years back when Sobotka went to the KHL I selected him in this league and nobody said one thing and I didn't realize it until after the draft was over. I couldn't change it then. I donno, I don't like this kind of move but what do you guys think?

In my $250 1 year, last season someone selected Valeri Nichushkin and everyone kept their mouth shut, which they should IMO. Maybe I'm being too dog-eat-dog on the issue but when nothing is announced what happened it looks kinda shady.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Is this ethical? What are your guys thoughts?

Definitely not ethical. Bad enough if they did it and announced it, worse that they hid it. I'd call it out and ask for an explanation. If the Commish doesn't reverse it, I likely never play in the league again. You need to be able to trust the commissioner in money leagues and this move lacks integrity.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Definitely not ethical. Bad enough if they did it and announced it, worse that they hid it. I'd call it out and ask for an explanation. If the Commish doesn't reverse it, I likely never play in the league again. You need to be able to trust the commissioner in money leagues and this move lacks integrity.
    Ok I'll make a comment on the league page. If I don't play in the league again it's not a big problem. I've been in there almost 10 years but I got my leagues against you guys that I started this year. Never hard to find a league.

Dobber Sports Monster

I wrote on the league "Pretty sure P.A. Parenteau was selected or did someone get to edit their pick? If there was a change I never heard anything."

Then one manager messaged me on facebook and told me to take it down that I need to relax because that team (by the looks of it) has little chance to win it.

This is their team (top 8 forwards, top 3 defence, top 1 goalie)

Draisaitl
    Coyle
    Kadri
    Lucic
    Letestu
    Hayes, K
    Jenner
    Nelson
    Bjorkstrand
    killorn

keith
    zaitsev
    fowler

allen

compared to my team for example

Panarin
    Pavelski
    Kopitar
    Carter
    Koivu
    O'Reilly
    Tkachuk
    Palmieri
    Smith, R
    Labanc

Klingberg
    Barrie
    Ekblad

Holtby

Dobber Sports Padawan

stick to your guns. that wasnt cool. fwiw our leagues have honour system, if u know a guy picked is hurt or out of league you shout it out. It has worked for 30 years. I think it's pretty brutal, esp in a friend's league, to let someone draft someone either not in the league or badly hurt, just because they aren't as serious about research as you.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    stick to your guns. that wasnt cool. fwiw our leagues have honour system, if u know a guy picked is hurt or out of league you shout it out. It has worked for 30 years. I think it's pretty brutal, esp in a friend's league, to let someone draft someone either not in the league or badly hurt, just because they aren't as serious about research as you.
    I will not enter the league next season. I had a situation in my 1 year league which at first stressed me out because I never dealt with an issue in a league before since it was the first time I commished. Anyhow, a guys team was on autopick but it ran out of players on his list, in the meantime he took Brad Marchand, he didnt want Marchand, guy after him already selected Nicklas Backstrom I believe? The manager brought up the issue to me and I asked if anyone had a problem with my solution ... i proposed we stop the draft, since only 1 pick went by, he cannot get Backstrom as he was just selected, everyone was ok with it. Bottom line is if you just keep everything out in the open people will have a better response imo. I'm all about integrity when it comes to running a league and to tell everyone what is going on and not sweep it under the run in hopes it goes over everyone's head..

Dobber Sports Master

I can tell you that this is 100% bullshit. There is no way to justify it.

Dobber Sports Monster

On my players taken log, it was this persons team that took Parenteau and it is the same team that now owns Killorn. The only reason the commish would decide to do this is because this manager doesn't follow hockey as much as lets say you or me and doesnt know many of the players so they had no idea Parenteau was unsigned...so to keep them interested in the league they let the rules slide a bit.

Still I think this is straight up BS. I never got any free passes back when I never followed hockey as much as I do now. I remember once back a few years ago my brother took Brendan Gallagher and that was the year he was sent back down to junior, so they had a good laugh and said how he will get lots of points for the Vancouver Giants, but wouldn't let him make a different selection. Same for me when I took Vladimir Sobotka after he bolted to the KHL and I had no idea. Thats why I'm all pissed about this, special rules for different individuals. Not right at all.

Dobber Sports Ace

If you going to let GM change his pick better make sure it's ok with everyone first and not do it without GMs knowing about it. That is shady.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Master

did anyone pick ryan ellis ?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I wrote on the league "Pretty sure P.A. Parenteau was selected or did someone get to edit their pick? If there was a change I never heard anything."

Then one manager messaged me on facebook and told me to take it down that I need to relax because that team (by the looks of it) has little chance to win it.

This is their team (top 8 forwards, top 3 defence, top 1 goalie)

Draisaitl
    Coyle
    Kadri
    Lucic
    Letestu
    Hayes, K
    Jenner
    Nelson
    Bjorkstrand
    killorn

keith
    zaitsev
    fowler

allen

compared to my team for example

Panarin
    Pavelski
    Kopitar
    Carter
    Koivu
    O'Reilly
    Tkachuk
    Palmieri
    Smith, R
    Labanc

Klingberg
    Barrie
    Ekblad

Holtby
    That's irrelevant.

This undocumented move is shadier than the underbelly of a 800lb man. I'd be ticked too. I find it strange that nobody else in the league sees this as an issue. Whether you stay or go is up to you, but I wouldn't necessarily remove my post either.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Shady to say the least.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Deity

ya that's not cool, although I don't know what Ryan Kesler has to do with anything (you mention him in your OP). Sure, he's hurt but at least he's signed. Maybe that GM is a Kesler fan.

Either way, that's pretty greasy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    That's irrelevant.

This undocumented move is shadier than the underbelly of a 800lb man. I'd be ticked too. I find it strange that nobody else in the league sees this as an issue. Whether you stay or go is up to you, but I wouldn't necessarily remove my post either.
    The only teams that are aware of this is - Team that has Killorn, The Commissioner, my brother, and myself. We were the only managers that were recording each pick and we initially just do that to look back at the draft and see who we could have got instead of picking player X, just for fun. Then I was curious today and thought "wait ... someone picked Parenteau .... I'll search who got him". Because I remember nudging my brother because I remembered that he never signed with a team.

One thing they must not realize is that we did keep track of every pick and officepools has a feature where you can check the audit log and tells you exactly what each change to the league is.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    did anyone pick ryan ellis ?
    Yes someone did actually. The guy who picked him was a friend of mine and this was his first year joining the league. Many people may not have known that Ellis was going to be out for quite awhile since most people had no clue Fabbri was out all season since even the Commish asked me if it were true about Fabbri being out all year ....

The draft at that point was going by fast, at the time I was thinking "Wait WTF?" then they just went on with the next pick like it was no big deal. Same manager who took Ellis tried to take Robby Fabbri but someone pipped up and said he's out the year so they let him change his pick there. Am not looking at the papers right now but I'm pretty sure the Ellis - Fabbri picks were back to back.