Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this ethical? What are your guys thoughts?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Is this ethical? What are your guys thoughts?

he probably feels no harm done since killorn wasnt drafted by anyone .

if everyones cool with it maybe let it ride but ask for the rules to be a bit more solid next season .

but if this has opened a can of worms amongst more than just a few gm's then ask for it to be reversed

also wouldnt hurt to sign up to emails by the stat provider that prompt any changes the admin make .

Dobber Sports Giant

shady. not because he's helping a team out essentially but every move a commissioner makes should be open to every manager to see. it should have been announced what his intentions were and then maybe most of the guys would have been ok with it. if not then he'd have to leave it alone.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Why didn't you just post on the site didn't someone pick PA Parenteau. Are you allowed to make f/a pickups during year. You just need to put it out there.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Why didn't you just post on the site didn't someone pick PA Parenteau. Are you allowed to make f/a pickups during year. You just need to put it out there.
    I posted on the chat but one manager facebooked me and said I needed to chill out. I deleted it but i'll say something to this effect later today. He could have at least said what his intentions were, i'm sure others wouldn't see too much of a problem with it but I just find it ridiculous it's basically the best player available going to the team and has 7 pts.

We're allowed no pick ups. Once you pick a guy that is it, you own him.

Dobber Sports Monster

This is the same commish who said people don't join his play-off pool anymore because people think he edits his team after the deadline.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    he probably feels no harm done since killorn wasnt drafted by anyone .

if everyones cool with it maybe let it ride but ask for the rules to be a bit more solid next season .

but if this has opened a can of worms amongst more than just a few gm's then ask for it to be reversed

also wouldnt hurt to sign up to emails by the stat provider that prompt any changes the admin make .
    Nobody else even knows about the situation, but everytime someone posts onto the officepools chat it sends an email out saying "this is what manager X has posted". So anyone who checks their e-mails have seen it already. The only manager involved is really nice and just got into hockey not long ago so that's the only reason I'm hesitant on saying any more on it.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't like it.

The point that the guy's team doesn't have a chance to win is irrelevant. It causes a precedent. What happens next year when a contender has one of his picks injured for the rest of the season in the season opener?

The fact that the guy doesn't really follow hockey is irrelevant. No one held a gun to his head to join in th first place, and if he ever does win, he'll still take the money.

What happens if that guy starts to follow hockey more diligently and, despite that, next year he picks a guy who's in the same situation as Parenteau? You let him change Parenteau this year, you'll let him change that player next year? What if that's the move that gets him the win?

What happens in the (extremely unlikely, I know) event where a GM intentionnally picks a roster full of players that'll never play a game in the season, so they don't have a chance to win, so thay can change all of them for players that produce more than expected (like Killorn)?

You cited other precedents where a GM couldn't change his player. There already was a precedent the commish had to follow and he didn't.

More importantly, you can't change the rules based on a GMs lack of chances of winning. From experience, it's often the bad GMs who aren't on their game that cause problems in the league (this is a bit offset by the fact that you guys don't have trades, but I bet that the 2-3 guys that draft right after him get better players than they should have). By helping them out, you're not encouraging them to get their act together and you're just encouraging them to stay in the league.

A commish's goal is to keep his league competitive, by helping out the weak links, that's not what he's doing.

My 2 cents.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Totally unethical unless everyone is on board. It sounds like this was an exception and that's not cool, ESPECIALLY because it was done in secrecy. That's no way to commish...says The Comish!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Totally unethical unless everyone is on board. It sounds like this was an exception and that's not cool, ESPECIALLY because it was done in secrecy. That's no way to commish...says The Comish!
    You have to be my favorite commissioner. Always fair and level headed.

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's crap. Just say something. If there are to be no moves after the draft, that's it -- no moves.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    That's crap. Just say something. If there are to be no moves after the draft, that's it -- no moves.
    "Pretty sure P.A. Parenteau was selected or did someone get to edit their pick? If there was a change I never heard anything."

that was my quote i said on the league page, then the other manager who is my brother said I was being too confrontational .... not sure how that is but he kept messaging me urging me to take it down and telling me to put my energy into things I can control which I think is total BS too. I will send the commish a message.

edit: my brother went and wrote on the page and said "pa parenteau was picked, he doesn't show up, was there a change?"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I will not enter the league next season. I had a situation in my 1 year league which at first stressed me out because I never dealt with an issue in a league before since it was the first time I commished. Anyhow, a guys team was on autopick but it ran out of players on his list, in the meantime he took Brad Marchand, he didnt want Marchand, guy after him already selected Nicklas Backstrom I believe? The manager brought up the issue to me and I asked if anyone had a problem with my solution ... i proposed we stop the draft, since only 1 pick went by, he cannot get Backstrom as he was just selected, everyone was ok with it. Bottom line is if you just keep everything out in the open people will have a better response imo. I'm all about integrity when it comes to running a league and to tell everyone what is going on and not sweep it under the run in hopes it goes over everyone's head..
    And I appreciated that Stunt!
    105 teams (7 divisions of 15 teams with indivual drafts), Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, One Year League $$$
    Start 4F, 4D, 2U, 2G daily, 5 bench
    G, A, +/- (important cat), PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports All-Star

The players involved here won't make or break a team but, when a move like that is made, it has to be posted. Without transparency, there is no integrity and with no integrity, there is no pool. Simple.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Did the person who picked Parenteau (and who now has Killorn) know about or consent to the change? In my league we let people change their mind about picks at the end of the draft, as long as it doesn't affect any other picks that have been made. I guess what I'm saying is I don't have a problem with it if that person realized they made a terrible pick, waited until the very end of the draft, and then changed their pick to the best player left available. I DO, however, have a problem with it if the commissioner just unilaterally assigned killorn to that team after the draft was fully over. What happens if Parenteau gets signed tomorrow and ends up with more points than Killorn? In any case, I agree with all the other comments that transparency is critical and what happened here wasn't transparent.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkys_Choice View Post
    Did the person who picked Parenteau (and who now has Killorn) know about or consent to the change? In my league we let people change their mind about picks at the end of the draft, as long as it doesn't affect any other picks that have been made. I guess what I'm saying is I don't have a problem with it if that person realized they made a terrible pick, waited until the very end of the draft, and then changed their pick to the best player left available. I DO, however, have a problem with it if the commissioner just unilaterally assigned killorn to that team after the draft was fully over. What happens if Parenteau gets signed tomorrow and ends up with more points than Killorn? In any case, I agree with all the other comments that transparency is critical and what happened here wasn't transparent.
    This person had no Idea that Parenteau was just on a PTO and got cut. During the draft anyhow, the commish was helping this person with a few picks and when this person tried to pick an injured player he would say "no" ... then they would get to pick another player. I think when the commish was putting up the league on officepools he realized Parenteau was not assigned to a team, so he just looked for a free agent to put on the team and just decided to go with Killorn is what I believe. Either that or he called this person up and said they can pick another player because Parenteau won't play in the NHL this season.

There is a comment on the league's page asking about the issue and I'm sure others have seen it now but no response yet. I don't mean to sound like such a stickler when it comes to the rules but if they didn't think it was an issue they would have let everyone know what they did.