Thread: Alfy for Gionta/Budaj

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Alfy for Gionta/Budaj

I was just offered this trade in my one year H2H league (not the one in my sig). The stats are G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SOG, GS, W, GAA, SV, SV%, and SHO so goalies are pretty important.

I wasn\'t able to make the draft, so I autodrafted my team and here\'s what I got:

C: Lecavalier, Stastny, Mueller, Tkachuk, Kozlov, Drury
    LW: Ovechkin, Gagne, Jason Blake
    RW: Alfredsson, Pominville, Boyes, Vrbata
    D: Brian Campbell, Visnovsky, Boucher, Liles, Keith
    G: Bernier, Dave Brown

Budaj is definitely an upgrade over Brown and Bernier, but are he and Gionta good enough to make it worth moving Alfy?

Super Moderator

What other goalies available? Dave Brown???

I\'d pass on this for sure as I\'m sure if you offered Alfie around you\'d get much more. He\'s one of the top RW\'s in the fantasy hockey and I don\'t think you\'re getting a fair return at all.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Since goalies get half the stats, there aren\'t too many good ones left. The guys that are there are:

Jimmy Howard, Tuuka Rask, Khabibulin, Kolzig,
    LaBarbera, Mason, Auld, Hiller, Raycroft, Nittymaki,
    Lalime

Not exactly the cream of the goaltending crop. I could pick up LaBarbera to handcuff Bernier. The only issue with that is that they play for LA. I was also looking at Raycroft. If I were to pick up Budaj I could get both Colorado netminders, which is a bit more attractive than the LA pair.

Looking at the league\'s rosters, I\'ve noticed that one guy has Luongo, DePietro, and Leclaire. Another guy has Brodeur, Bryzgalov, and Tim Thomas. Yet another has Huet, Biron, Garon and Giguere. A fourth has Toskala, Gerber, and Vokoun. Finally the guy who offered Budaj also has Ward and Nabokov. What do you think of Alfy for Gionta and Ward?

Dobber Sports Stud

I would do this trade, goaltending is huge and you have nothing, i have also not been a fan of alfy, it just seems like he is at his best with the other 2 but i don\'t notice him as much when they move him around like they have been trying to do lately, i also try to stay away from guys with back questions, i wouldn\'t try ward in his place and would do the deal before it is pulled, you need a goalie and Gionta is a good replacement for alfy.

Sorry just re read everything and realized this is H2H, and you need a goalie ASAP, everything starts in the net in H2H and can set up your week right away, I don\'t imagine you will find other guys willing to trade a goalie with no goalie back in return, at least Budaj can be used to upgrade in net, something that your current goalies won\'t allow

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think it\'s a good deal for you.. i\'m a huge proponent of goalies and building your team from the net out. In my experience you need solid goaltending to win championships and you definitely need some help in that department.