Thread: Keeper plus Draft advice

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper plus Draft advice

Hi guys,

League in sig. Last year didn't go too well for me, injuries and not good goalie results during the year (I had Varlamov as a keeper last year, dropped when he went on the IR) got me out of the playoffs, but with the Islanders pushing for a playoff spot I was able to win the consolations and with it the #1 pick every round.

I have to figure out who else to keep (the ones in bold are pretty much set), and then what my strategy will be going into the draft. We don't have a farm system so if I'm going more for the future, I need to keep the prospects or risk not being able to redraft them. Puljujarvi wasted away one of my bench spots as I didn't want to let him go and I think I should still keep. Hellebuyck might bounce back in the future but probably not this year. Others I drafted last year look promising (Aho, Provorov) but should I keep them over someone else?

For the first pick I was thinking Hischier / Patrick, unless I should be looking at what other GMs don't keep. Chances are any decent goalie not kept will be gone by the second round, so I'd probably be looking at a backup for the start of the year. Not a lot of trades happen in this league, so I doubt I can go that route to make any improvements.

I appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks!
    6th Year 12 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Keeper (10) League
    3C 3LW 3RW 5D 3U 2G 5BE 3IR+
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP; W,GAA,SV%,SO

C: Crosby, Bergeron, Hischier, Necas, Backlund, Krejci

L:
    Aho (C,RW), Connor, Lee, Schmaltz (C), Lehkonen (RW)
    R: Boeser
    , Svenchnikov, Sheary (LW), Puljujarvi
    D: Barrie, Yandle, Ristolainen,
    Theodore, Dahlin, Matheson
    G:
    Gibson, Elliott, Hutton

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Keeper plus Draft advice

Of that list, I would keep :

1- Crosby
    2- Granlund
    3- Panarin
    4- Aho (he's for real)
    5- Atkinson
    6- Palmieri
    7- Ristolainen
    8- Gibson
    9- Yandle (ou Provorov but if you don't have farm, go for the proven vet with the big contract)
    10- Puljujarvi (If you really like him although this year might be sweet-&-sour points wise)

If you look for a more proven than Puljujarvi, there is Marchessault (will play a lot in Vegas)vor the un-sexy Sedin (that should see a lot of PP again)
    W(r)-Olofsson, Tippett, Tolvanen, Kupari
    D-Hamilton, Krug, Burns, Andersson, Pulock
    D(r)- Boqvist
    G- Hellebuyck, Hart, Shesterkin

KEEPER (6 each year + 10 rookies under 23), 11 Teams
    F+D : Points only
    G : 2pts for SO
    3 C, 5 W, 3 D + 2 G

The Great One

I like the list above, except I'd go Provorov over Yandle. Especially in multi-cat and a team looking to the future. I'd draft Hischier first overall. Since you aren't gunning to win this year, I wouldn't worry about your 2nd goalie for now.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quick update: I was able to trade a draft pick for Lehner, shoring up my goaltending. It does mean I'm only keeping 8 positional players.

Do I go Palmeri and Yandle, more of the sure things this year. Or Puljujarvi and Provorov with an eye for the future? Or something in between? Hischier will prob still be my first overall pick which may let me lean more towards surer players this year. Thoughts?