Thread: Help setting our salary cap in our new keeper pool!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Help setting our salary cap in our new keeper pool!

Hello guys!
    I've just discover this forum and it's full of great informations and exemples for pools.

Here is the one we are starting (it is a simple one):

we have 20 picks. We can pick fowards, def, goalie and teams
    At the end of the year, only the best goalie, the best team, top 10 fowards and top 4 def are cumulated.

We are 9 in the league...How should we decide the salary cap to have fun with it?

thank you very much

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Help setting our salary cap in our new keeper pool!

Welcome to the forums!

I'm going to put in a shameless plug here and direct you to a recent article of mine for the Dobber website: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...hockey-league/

I have a couple of questions that if you guys haven't sorted out yet, you might want to ponder:
    -Are the teams capped at all?
    -Is the cap only for measuring a cap on who you can count at the end of the year, or is your uncounted bench also counted against the cap too?
    -On such a simple pool, are you implementing the cap just to create competitiveness and to promote player movement, or is it more just for the fun of having another wrinkle to it?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

In my league we use the real NHL salaries for players (not cap hits) and the real NHL salary cap. But its all very arbitrary, everybody in your pool plays by the same set of rules so you can kind of do whatever you want. If you want to have more "fun" and be less constricted by the cap you could raise your cap to 100 million, and then you'd be able to draft guys like Pat Kane etc.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hello!
    I've already read your article Eskimo That helped me a lot in what we are thinking of, but just to be sure not to start on the wrong foot, I decided to asked directly the experts about it...!

We would like to count every player on the team, even those benchies.

We want to add a salary cap (and probably a floor cap) to add some strategy, because we know our pool is a simple one. We don't want our pool to be too much time-spending, cause many of us got kids and lack the time to do so. But some strat when we the draft comes is welcome.

And what do you mean as if the teams are capped at all?

Dobber Sports Titan

My question with the team is if someone has Pittsburgh and someone else has a smaller market team like Carolina, is there a cap effect that each team has? Like if you raise your cap to 100M, but have the team count as the average cap hit of their top couple of players, or 10% of their total cap, of something like that. Not sure how well I am explaining it.
    But if teams are not capped, then maybe I stack my roster with overpriced players, but have a bunch of useless teams on my bench that cost me 0 against the cap.
    Simplest solution would be to just give every team a salary of 4.5M or something.

In your setup though, you probably want 4-5M per player, so with 20 slots, you want somewhere in the range of 80-100M. With a smaller amount of teams, I recommend erring higher to start. So 90-100M is the range I would recommend.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If that helps, I'm in a similar league. We have 24 players and we use 145% of the real NHL salary cap. So it changes every year to follow the general structure of the NHL. We use real salary, not the cap hit.

This salary cap allow us to still be able to draft guys like Kane, Toews, Weber, etc. At the same time you have to manage your team in a different way if you have guys like them or not. And you have to consider this when you decide your keepers at the end of the year.

It went well for the last 6 years. In a 9 teams league and a little less players for you, you can use a % lower then 145% that to adapt to your situation.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

We have a 20 min - 25max man roster at $75m. I find it very challenging.
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys!

And I understood your explanation Eskimo hehe

Well It is a good question about the team being capped or not. I will definitly discuss it with the guys. I don't think people will try draft more than 1 team, so in my mind, I wasn't going to cap them. Might be a good idea to do it though.

Our draft picks that won't count at the end are usually there to decrease injuries effects on some poolers players, so everyone has fun duraing the season.

We will probably keep between 5-7 picks every year, so the draft is exciting every year. Is it stupid? It is hard to choose this salary cap and floor!

Dobber Sports Titan

Keeping 5-7 makes good sense.

I would advise having something for the teams just so someone doesn't find loopholes there, because someone will.