Thread: Draft Help - 17th overall (1st year of a keeper)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Draft Help - 17th overall (1st year of a keeper)

Hey guys, our league is in it\'s first year of a future keeper league and we\'re using rotisserie scoring, the categories are

Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, GWG, PPG, and PPA

Goalies - Wins, Save %, Shutouts

so overall 10 categories, 3 of which for goalies.

the position requirements are

3 LW 3 RW 3 C
    5 D
    4 BENCH
    2 G

My question is this, everyone in my draft is going forwards first round, i have 4th and i\'m going malkin/heatley followed by possibly gaborik with my 2nd pick (17th overall - we have 10 people in the draft) I\'m curious if Luongo would be a better second pick than gaborik. I\'ve read dobber\'s guide on drafting a goalie, i\'m just unsure as to why goalies are so important vs strong forwards (especially wingers as there are hardly any)

My argument against goalies is that i can draft luongo early and he can easily end up being the 6th best goalie this year because their stats are so close so i\'m wondering if drafting luongo early, or waiting until someone else takes a goalie then i end up with nabokov or something if that\'s just as smart. I know this is a confusing post haha but any help as to why picking luongo early instead of brodeur/nabokov a few picks later while getting gaborik instead would be a better choice i\'d really appreciate it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How much are each categories worth? Wins, % and shutouts? Figure out hom much each goaler was worth last year and compare with a few players of different value, then adapt those choices to your own 08-09 predictions. I did that in my pool and realised that many goalers considered of lesser value were in fact just as rewarding in a pool, and the difference slims down with fewer categories.
    Points only Keeper, forwards assists worth 0.5

C - Malkin, Kopitar, M.Richards, Sam Gagner, Kadri, Bozak, Burmistrov, Kuznetsov
    LW - Ovechkin, Gaborik, Booth, A.Kostsitsyn, JVR, Clowe, Tanguay, Tedenby
    RW - Kane, Stewart, Briere, Penner, Downie, Hayes
    D - Gonchar, Markov, Visnovsky, J.Johnson, Karlsson, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, Gudbranson
    G - Miller, Anderson, Schneider, Neuvirth
    Enroth, Pickard, Reimer

Dress weekly: 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Have a look at Dobber\'s strategy for drafting goalies. You want to make sure you get a good one so make a grouping of Tier 1 goalies. If you think one of those will be around when your next pick comes up then take a skater, if not take the best goalie from the group. Do that with a second tier of goalies as well following a similar strategy. You want to make sure you are strong in goal as they count for three categories and there aren\'t as many good ones to choose from as there are forwards.
    YEAR ONE OF THE REBUILD

12 Team Keeper League with Salary Cap: C - ; W - ; D - Chabot, Gardiner; G -

Farm: F - L. Brown, Dauphin, Hayden, Heponiemi, Krebs, Newhook, Suzuki, Thomas, Zegras; D - Byram, Dahlin, Heiskanen, T.Smith; G - Dipietro, C.Gibson, Luukkonen

Count Pts, +/-, W, SO