Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who to take 1st overall? Keller vs Patrick vs Hischier vs Guentzel

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Who to take 1st overall? Keller vs Patrick vs Hischier vs Guentzel

League context: Keepers, points only, 9 teams.
    My team strategy: Still building for the future. Thinking of being competitive within 2 years.

All the players in title are still available and I finally won the lottery for the 1st pick overall (fml that it didn't happen when a McDavid or Matthews was available...)

1st question: Who should I take?

2nd question: see keepers below. I have 11 and need to only keep 10... who should I cut? I'm thinking Faulk or Ekblad as I have 2 solid D in my farm club... Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Keepers:
    F: Gaudreau, Galchenyuk, Wennberg, Barkov, Puljujarvi, D. Strome
    D: Risto, Faulk, Ekblad
    G: Talbot, Andersen
    Farm: Huberdeau, Theodore, Matheson, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Who to take 1st overall? Keller vs Patrick vs Hischier vs Guentzel

Probably Faulk or D. Strome. How is Huberdeau farm eligible. What I'd really like is to drop Matheson.

As for your question, it's probably

Keller
    Hischier
    Patrick

Dobber Sports Novice

I would draft Patrick. I would also try and trade Ekblad before droppi g him. Don't drop Matheson, that would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by harrison11 View Post
    I would draft Patrick. I would also try and trade Ekblad before droppi g him. Don't drop Matheson, that would be crazy.
    Matheson will be behind Ekblad his whole career. If he can drop Matheson and keep Ekblad, that's a pretty obvious move.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys
    I should have mentioned that I don't need to drop my players in my farm club. They are automatically protected (we have 5 spots total and draft up to 2 a year - I'll probably only draft unless I drop Matheson...)
    So the player I need to drop has to be in my F, D or G list as per above

Keep the comments coming!

Quote Originally Posted by faboudreault View Post
    Thanks guys
    I should have mentioned that I don't need to drop my players in my farm club. They are automatically protected (we have 5 spots total and draft up to 2 a year - I'll probably only draft unless I drop Matheson...)
    So the player I need to drop has to be in my F, D or G list as per above

Keep the comments coming!
    Yea, I understood. I'm more confused by whatever farm rules you have that deems Huberdeau farm eligible but not Puljujarvi, Strome, actually pretty much your whole team farm eligible since Huberdeau was drafted before basically all of those cats

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It depends wether you're someone who's considering a players situation strongly or if you just look at his individual talent.
    If you're planning to be competitive in two years as you said, then I'd suggest you take the second approach as situations can change until then anyway.

So Guentzel is in a great situation as a linemate of Crosby right now, but I wouldn't invest too much in his stock. Keller and Patrick will have more talented guys to play with, but if it's about individual talent, my pick is Hischier.
    Obviously I'm biased being Swiss, but Hischier managed to be the no1 pick despite coming from hockey grounds that are lesser known to the NHL. Had he grown up e.g. somewhere in Ontario, I'm sure he'd be regarded even more highly. Just my two cents though, I don't own a crystall ball, either... Useful things they are said to be...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Pro

I am surprised that you haven't received more Keller votes yet. That is the route I would go. His upside is just too tantalizing to pass up. Guentzel 2nd because he is already proving things in the NHL, has a great situation, and is very underrated when it comes to individual talent - primarily due to his very high hockey IQ.

Keller
    Guentzel
    Hischier
    Patrick

Dobber Sports Icon

Keller
    Guentzel
    Hischier
    Patrick
    same for me...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    same for me...
    Same for me
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks all!
    The farm rules are: we start with the regular draft, 10 rounds. After that, we move on the 'prospect' round, who have to be considered rookie as per NHL rules. Huberdeau was drafted in his rookie trade. I have graduated Gaudreau and Barkov, so now I need to protect them. Strome and Pulj were drafted as part of the regular draft, so I had to protect them even if they didn't play
    Makes sense?

Dobber Sports Novice

Maybe in terms of talent yeah. He won't be behind in points imo.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Ok guys, there are some developments in my situation.
    To recap, I'm drafting first overall this year. The teams provided their keepers lists and in addition to the above mentioned players available to me, Grandlund is also there now that his team manager didn't protect him.

So, in your opinion, does this change who would be your 1st overall pick?

Here are the players I'm considering taking (in no particular order)

- Keller
    - Hischier
    - Patrick
    - Guentzel
    - Grandlund

And here's my team now
    Keepers:
    F: Gaudreau, Galchenyuk, Wennberg, Barkov, Puljujarvi, D. Strome
    D: Risto, Ekblad
    G: Talbot, Andersen
    Farm: Huberdeau, Theodore, Matheson, Hellebuyck [I can graduate them whenever I want, if not they are protected forever but I only have 5 spots]

Thanks all
    F.

Dobber Sports Icon

- Keller
    - Granlund
    - Guentzel
    - Hischier
    - Patrick
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Guentzel is real and he's already shown the production. Classic case of proven over potential not reliant upon Crosby.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov