Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Give 2018 first rounder for Montour? REP given

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Give 2018 first rounder for Montour? REP given

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    I ended up getting Montour and Bjorkstrand for Chychrun, Howden and a 2017 second. Whadda ya think, in a points only?
    I liked the, "they've countered with Montour and a 2018 fourth for Howden and a 2018 first" offer more but you got your man and that was the goal. So, good on you.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Very very rarely is it a bad idea to counter.
    Yeah, I can get behind that.

BONUS: William Shatner and Henry Rollins ranting as depicted by puppets with Russian subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbazzlie0o
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    What has Brandon Montour done to be valued so high all of a sudden? Is it because he had so many points in the AHL? How many points did Fowler have in the AHL...ZERO. Lindholm? 11 in 44 games as an 18 year old.

Montour is a 23 years old and has 13 points in 44 NHL games which is a 24 point pace for 82 games. He was the number 5 dman for the Ducks in the playoffs while being their 4th most used PP option. 2 of the Ducks' dmen were also playing with only 1 good shoulder. Yes the Ducks are going to lose a dman this summer but that still leaves Montour as at best the Ducks #4 dman behind 3 of Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Manson and Montour may or may not be better than Theodore. How many points are people expecting for next season for Montour? My guess is about 25

I would much rather have Chychrun than Montour even in a points only league. The OP's trade may not end up being that bad as Bjorkstrand will likely end up being the best player in the deal.
    Montour is ahead of Manson, Vatanen and Theodore already. Montour is their #3 D-man but could easily be the #1 offensive D-man (1st PP as well) because Lindholm isn't known for his offense, and Fowler has become more of a two-way player as well. Montour could get 40+ points next season while Chychrun's upside isn't even that high.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Montour is ahead of Manson, Vatanen and Theodore already. Montour is their #3 D-man but could easily be the #1 offensive D-man (1st PP as well) because Lindholm isn't known for his offense, and Fowler has become more of a two-way player as well. Montour could get 40+ points next season while Chychrun's upside isn't even that high.
    What metric are you using to say that Montour is Anaheim's #3 dman? He played less than Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen and Manson in pretty much every game of the playoffs. He also played less than Bieksa in some games in the Nashville series. That makes him at best #5. If the Ducks happen to lose Fowler this summer, which is a possibility if they don't come close to the terms of a contract extension before the expansion draft, Theodore will move ahead of Montour on the depth chart due to their handedness.

Dobber Sports Stud

What has Brandon Montour done to be valued so high all of a sudden? Is it because he had so many points in the AHL? How many points did Fowler have in the AHL...ZERO. Lindholm? 11 in 44 games as an 18 year old.

Montour is a 23 years old and has 13 points in 44 NHL games which is a 24 point pace for 82 games. He was the number 5 dman for the Ducks in the playoffs while being their 4th most used PP option. 2 of the Ducks' dmen were also playing with only 1 good shoulder. Yes the Ducks are going to lose a dman this summer but that still leaves Montour as at best the Ducks #4 dman behind 3 of Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Manson and Montour may or may not be better than Theodore. How many points are people expecting for next season for Montour? My guess is about 25

I would much rather have Chychrun than Montour even in a points only league. The OP's trade may not end up being that bad as Bjorkstrand will likely end up being the best player in the deal.
    Montour plays a very aggressive (and effective) offensive game, as shown in the playoffs. He jumps in on rushes with his awesome skating, is effective at pinching, is willing to hold on to the puck longer than most dmen, and has a great point shot. Based on the playoffs sample size (which is limited, clearly) he does things offensively that some of the other Ducks dmen don't do as often or at all, which gives one reason to believe that he has a very good chance of being an excellent point contributor even at even strength.

Montour seems like a boom or bust kind of guy, he'll either be a significant point producer or he won't stick in the NHL long-term. His playoff performance certainly makes the second possibility less likely in my mind than a year ago. Meanwhile Chychrun seems to play a safe game and I don't see the boom potential. Therefore I prefer Montour to Chychrun, but that is in my league where 20-30 point dmen have little value so I'd rather roll the dice with Montour in the hopes that he turns into a 40+ guy. In other leagues I might play if safe with Chychrun.

Dobber Sports Wizard

What metric are you using to say that Montour is Anaheim's #3 dman? He played less than Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen and Manson in pretty much every game of the playoffs. He also played less than Bieksa in some games in the Nashville series. That makes him at best #5. If the Ducks happen to lose Fowler this summer, which is a possibility if they don't come close to the terms of a contract extension before the expansion draft, Theodore will move ahead of Montour on the depth chart due to their handedness.
    I use the metric of my eyes. Of course coaches prefer to use veteran players over a rookie in the playoffs but during the regular season, talent rises to the top. Talent-wise, Montour is ahead of those bums already now and will be much further ahead next season. You don't have to believe it, that's fine. You can watch playoff ice-time numbers and believe that nothing will ever change from that.

If you think Bieksa is Anaheim's 4th best D-man, please allow me to trade him to you. That guy is a waste of roster spot and won't get much ice time next season.