Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laine for Tavares

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Laine for Tavares

I have Laine on my team and am always being approached for trades... of course!

The latest offer that has me thinking is Tavares/3rd/4th for Laine/1st...as the offer stands, I don't think I would accept, but it's really got me thinking.

What are your thoughts???
    16 Team Keeper multi-cat, H2H. Est. 2011. SALARY Cap
    FOW (.1) G (4)A (3)SHG (3)SHA (2)+-(1)PPA (1)PPG (1.5)SOG (0.2)PIMS (.1)GWG (1)Blocks (.2)Hits (.2)GHHT (5)
    Goalies W(6) L (-1) Saves (0.1) SHO (5) GA(-0.2) GAA(RANGE) SV%(RANGE)

Keepers include:
    - 4 forwards
    - 2 defense
    - 2 goalies
    - 7 minor league (able to call up to pro roster)

C - Mackinon / Bennett (C/LW)/ Jarnkrok (C/LW)
    LW - Huberdeau /J. Benn (C/LW)/ Perron (LW/RW)
    RW - K. Hayes (C/RW)/ Duchene (C/RW)
    D - Carlson / Spurgeon / Orlov / B. Mcnabb
    G - Bobrovski/ Bishop
    Minors- Dvorak (C)/ Sprong (RW)/ Lebanc (RW/LW) / Frk (LW/RW) / Juolevi (D) / Foo (C/RW) J. Korpisalo (G)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Laine for Tavres

Tavares is overrated.

I'd rather have Laine in a straight up trade. Definitely wouldn't be adding the better pieces.

Dobber Sports Guru

Agree with rataylor.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

Biggest problem with JT is he literally and figuratively plays on an island. Maybe the NHL star who has the least amount of top level teammates to play with.

He's been a PPG player for the past 4-5-6 years despite this. He had a rough 20-25 games at the start of the season but past that he was once again over a PPG pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Biggest problem with JT is he literally and figuratively plays on an island. Maybe the NHL star who has the least amount of top level teammates to play with.

He's been a PPG player for the past 4-5-6 years despite this. He had a rough 20-25 games at the start of the season but past that he was once again over a PPG pace.
    I disagree. He's had more than enough talent around him to produce better numbers than he has. He is what he is, which is an extremely good player, but not the 90-100 point behemoth people expect him to be.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Laine for Tavares

Ya. Okposo and Striet are world beaters. Im not gonna do it right now, but I'd like to see how many players accumulated or a averages the production Tavares has, as consistently as he has since he was 20. I'll bet it's not more that 5-7 players. You may not like him in the comparison here, but that type of consistency is the opposite of being overrated. If you're producing at the top level of scoring, how could that be? Surely not because 85 pts is the new 100 pts.

People love to shit on the Islander's talent base, but for the last 5 years of his career Tavares has played with more than enough talent to be successful. People sell Tavares as a 100 point upside player. Not a 85 is the new 100, but actual 100 point upside.

He simply does not have that upside. Over the last 5 years, he's 8th in points and 8th in P/G. Very consistent and good. Can he still be overrated? Sure, just like Nick Backstrom, who has been better than him the last 5 years, can be underrated because people don't even consider him in the same area as Tavares.

Dobber Sports Ace

Backstrom is another guy who does/will provide more than players 90% of poolies draft ahead of him. Same. And Tavares might not have had AHL caliber linemates but he did not have talent beside him to the level that Backstrom does.

Dobber Sports Pro

If he was offering you Tavares and a 1st for your Laine, sure. I wouldn't do the deal as offered, no.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd take Tavares over Laine straight up. That would be my counter here. Whichever player I owned in the deal I'm not adding.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I'd take Tavares over Laine straight up.
    That is a tough sell for me. Laine scored 2 less points this year than Tavares in 4 less games... as a rookie.

He also has a supporting cast that is about 5 times more interesting than JT's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With all due respect, I don't see how you can prefer Tavares to Laine. Laine has more goals, winger eligibility and he is younger.

And by the way, I'm a huge JT fan and I think he will flourish outside of that dump of an organization. He could be a Crosby lite if properly surrounded.
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...

Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    With all due respect, I don't see how you can prefer Tavares to Laine. Laine has more goals, winger eligibility and he is younger.

And by the way, I'm a huge JT fan and I think he will flourish outside of that dump of an organization. He could be a Crosby lite if properly surrounded.
    I whole-heartedly disagree. If he could be that, he would be everywhere.

This is the whole basis of the argument that he's overrated.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would not trade Laine for Tavares. I definitely think they're close in leagues that count FOW, though.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think Tavares is over-rated, but in this setup I do prefer Laine.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."