Poll: Capitals or Penguins

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonCrunch View Post
    Pens in 6 but I think it will be better contested then most people think. Have a feeling Washington's players will have a bit more room to operate then last series but this one comes down to goaltender play. Washington needs Holtby to be on his game to have a shot
    Agreed. And they need to get to Fleury ASAP!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

The pens are faster than they were last year... and the Caps couldn't keep up then... I have a hard time believing the Caps can overcome.

I do wonder how Crosby feels about his nickname going from "Sid the Kid" to "Sid AND the Kids"
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I don't really know the old guys from the list but I find it difficult to believe that there have been 100 players who were better than Malkin.

Was Karlsson on the list? When I was watching the final game from the OTT-BOS series, I started wondering... If we just look at his individual results and not his team's results, he should be a first ballot Hall of Famer, right? 456 points in 556 games, and his defensive game has improved greatly. Two-time Norris winner as well (maybe a 3rd one coming this summer). Of course he'll need a few more years at similar level he's been these past few years but I see no reason he wouldn't do that. If they'd do the list again in 5 years, I think Karlsson would be there. When talking about great offensive D-men in the history of the game, I think we should start adding Karlsson's name to that discussion. Again, difficult to believe there have been too many players who have been better than him in that game. Of course some players have better numbers but that's just because of the era they played in, not necessarily because they're better players. Purely offensive D-men don't even crack the NHL roster anymore, they need to be solid defensively as well. That wasn't really demanded back in the day...
    Nope.. No Karlsson on the list. Then again, make it in 5 years and he's on there for sure.. So he somehow didn't make it in the 100 players in 100 years.. but he would certainly make the 125 players in 125... I would probably have had him in ahead of Scott Stevens.. but we have a larger body of work for him..

They had to make enough room for all positions.. so when you look at just the forwards, there aren't a tonne you can swap out for Malkin... Like I said, I for sure have him in over Dave Keon...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    In the current "divisional format", Washington was (1) in their division while Pittsburgh was (2). Ottawa is the highest seeded team in their division (2) with the Rangers being (4). What you're referring to would be a 1-8 system, and if you're going to that it should be a 1-16. The entire system is complete stupid, but doing anything other than 1-16 is completely stupid, so.

Really, the "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference" standings method is the visual representation that causes the issues, when really those conferences are used for schedule matchups and traditionalist representation. The NHL shouldn't offer that standings view anymore, because it's really quite irrelevant to the playoffs, except for wildcard determination..
    The only thing I disagree with is the fact that the Rangers actually belong to the same division as the Pens and Caps. So really, they should be playing someone in that division instead of crossing over to play the Sens... It should be Caps - Rangers and Pens and Sens.. Highest seeded team in its division plays the lowest seed from the same and the other team deals with crossing over if necessary..

I do agree that they should just go with 1-16. Teams can argue about travel all they want but it has little weight..
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The pens are faster than they were last year... and the Caps couldn't keep up then... I have a hard time believing the Caps can overcome.

I do wonder how Crosby feels about his nickname going from "Sid the Kid" to "Sid AND the Kids"
    I agree the speed could kill the Caps if they choose to play that style of hockey. What they need to do is play a possession game and capitalise on their opportunities such as the power play. Then Holtby needs to be elite all series for them to win this one, I think they can do this but a key for them is never to be chasing the series. They need to be at least tied or up in the series throughout. That's why I think game 1 is critical for the Caps. Win that, then they can slow down and play their brand of hockey. Lose it, then they might try to go blow for blow with the Pens which they will end up getting wiped.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    The only thing I disagree with is the fact that the Rangers actually belong to the same division as the Pens and Caps. So really, they should be playing someone in that division instead of crossing over to play the Sens... It should be Caps - Rangers and Pens and Sens.. Highest seeded team in its division plays the lowest seed from the same and the other team deals with crossing over if necessary..

I do agree that they should just go with 1-16. Teams can argue about travel all they want but it has little weight..
    the NBA has the best format - Drop division winner to a 3rd or 4th seed depending on records. You're still rewarding division winner with home ice, but rewarding teams in a stronger division with home ice as well. A 1-16 playoff will never happen. Owners, players will never ever ever agree to a Florida - Vancouver or New York/Boston vs. anh/la/sj 1ST ROUND matchup. The travel would be ridiculous. Owners/NHLPA will never agree to it.

Can we ban discussion of 1-16. #neverhappen. There's a reason no one uses this format and no one ever discusses it. Hell, Det. complained about their division due to 1hr difference with other teams.

The idea behind the divisional playoff format was to doexactly what it is doing – creating divisional rivalries. You can complainabout Pitt-Wsh meeting in the 2nd round again and again all you want– that it should be a 3rd round match-up/conference finals.BUUUUUUUUT… Here’s the other side of it. If the format was change toaccommodate that Conf. finals matchup and one team were to be upset in thesecond round, everyone would be bitching about how unfortunate these twopowerhouses do not get a chance to play each other.

Cake or Eat – can’thave both.Either way, someone’s goingto complain.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Cake or Eat ? can?thave both.
    Unless you make two cakes! I can't believe no one has ever thought of that.

Dobber Sports Master

Either way, someone’s goingto complain.
    lol you got that right.. somehow the playoff seeding discussion feels like a bunch of old fogies at a municipal council zoning meeting discussing on whose lawn the speed limit sign or fire hydrant will be placed. We gotta place it somewhere, people, just like we gotta have a playoff format. Can't please everyone. Love your use of the # there hahahaha.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Tough series to call but I'm going WAS in 7.

PIT is banged up but they are the reigning champs. WAS got a scare in the TOR series - and will come into this one determined to get past PIT.

Holtby will be the difference.

Dobber Sports Sage

Fleury looks really sharp, quick, and aware in the first here. Gonna be tough to beat tonight.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Fleury looks really sharp, quick, and aware in the first here. Gonna be tough to beat tonight.
    Damn right Fleury looks sharp, especially tonight. Sucks for me though, as I own Murray in one of my playoff leagues...sigh! C'mon Caps, let's get Fleury outta there and then Pitt can win with Murray...(he says very wishfully speaking)...
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Immortal

I can't believe that the Caps didn't score to tie that game. So many chances.

Should be a great series

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I can't believe that the Caps didn't score to tie that game. So many chances.

Should be a great series
    Yes, gonna be great for sure! I think if Alzner is healthy they need to inject him into the lineup and get Orpik out.

Orpik is made more for a series with Anaheim then Pitts.

Dobber Sports Genius

Wow that sucks for the Caps besides a lapse of play for two minutes in the second they were clearly the better team all night. On the other hand that is the beauty of the Pens, they have game breaking talent that you just just can't sleep on not even for a minute like in this case...
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes, gonna be great for sure! I think if Alzner is healthy they need to inject him into the lineup and get Orpik out.

Orpik is made more for a series with Anaheim then Pitts.
    Alzner isn't a whole lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Wow that sucks for the Caps besides a lapse of play for two minutes in the second they were clearly the better team all night. On the other hand that is the beauty of the Pens, they have game breaking talent that you just just can't sleep on not even for a minute like in this case...
    I think the game was pretty even or a slight edge to Pittsburgh, chance wise until they scored their second goal. Then they went into a shell, which almost never works but this time it did.